2016 NBA DRAFT

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: 2016 NBA DRAFT

Post by Split T »

I think Denver had a very nice draft. Murray at 7, hernangomez at 15 and malik Beasley at 19. Added some serious shooting. To go with Mudiay, Jokic, gallinari, and Faried.

Atreides

Post by Atreides »

I'm really glad that we drafted Ullis, but i don't like that we gave up so much in the Chriss trade. Bogdan is a hell of a player and we should just hang onto him :(

Why is Knight still on this team?
"The falling leaf does hate the wind"

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

My initial thoughts are...typical moves from the Suns. Bender is a skilled basketball player who should be a solid player with a lot of upside. Not mad at the pick. Chriss is the athlete with questions about his basketball IQ, passion for the game and is a long term project. Boom or bust. Seems like we liked both, couldn't decide, so made a deal and made sure we got both. More fence riding. These are the two of the youngest players in the draft so what are we doing? Building for the future? Trying to win now with Bledsoe, Knight, Booker, Len and Chandler? We're adding talent, but is there a plan? Are Bender and Chriss our future frontcourt? In Fox Sports' analysis they pretty much summed up by feelings by writing we drafted both, hoping one will turn into a player.

Chriss also seems like the kind of player who may not "get it" until he's moved on 5-6 years from now. Hopefully though we hold onto Chandler and he can help develop these young bigs.

Ulis I'm fine with. His size will be his biggest obstacle and at best he'll be a change of pace backup, but should add to our collective IQ and bring some leadership. I don't like that we traded Bogdanovic because I think he's a winning basketball player but he probably had no future on this team. I think we'll regret trading him though if/when he comes over.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

On reflection I'm giving our draft s C+ maybe a B. I'm happy with the Bender pick and think he will eventually be a fine player. Ulis is a very good pick at 34. I was terrified we'd take Chriss at 4 so am super uncomfortable with what we gave up to eventually draft him.
The grade will swing wildly depending on what Chriss becomes. If he makes good on his amazing athletic traits, then it's a home run. I'll give McD some credit that he's gone after a player he rAtes highly, everyone else be damned.
I do feel we may have another big deal or two in the offing before the season starts.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Can't wait for micro ball with Ulis, Bledsoe, Knight, Booker, and Tucker on the floor!

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Well, the draft has delivered two PFs with high upside but also probably the highest bust potential as well. I feel like the trade was an overpay and that they indeed were madly in love with Chriss, because just standing pat you could have had Valentine AND Skal. I would have never done it, to draft Chriss at least, but we'll have to see how things unfold. Huge test to our development ability, which is a problem with the guards still at the helm. Ullis is universally applauded as a floor general but there needs to be a trade involving at least one of the PGs for him to make an impact. Hate how almost everything comes down to the trade of one or both guards.
We stole the 8th pick from Sacramento. Bogdans value went down when he refused to come over this year since his contract will now go way up. And there is really no way to know how his skills will translate. Sonny Weems looked all-world two years ago in Europe. Great use of a marginal asset.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:I think Denver had a very nice draft. Murray at 7, hernangomez at 15 and malik Beasley at 19. Added some serious shooting. To go with Mudiay, Jokic, gallinari, and Faried.
Agreed. Denver has been low key killing it recently in the draft.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Pretty solid draft. I was on the ledge after the Bender pick at 4 but then we made up for it with the gamble on Chriss. Don't give 2 shits about giving up Bogdanovich. We never had a guarantee he'd ever even put on a Suns uniform. He kind of stood us up for next season so losing him and Skal for Chris is totally fine. Would have liked Kay Felder over Ulis but we HAVE to draft players from our Kentucky D-League team so I get it.

Could have been way worse. We didnt take Thon Maker at 10 thank God. The Celtics had a pretty weak draft as well IMO.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Draft recap:

This is kind of like Bizzaro world. Usually I find myself defending Suns picks while the media/and or fans don't like them. This yr it seems as though every media outlet loved our draft, alot of fans happy with it, and yet I was not.

Pick #4: I wanted Bender. You saw by my sig I wanted him. But he is a project.
Strengths: Shooting, Defensive versatility, ability to run the floor, ability to defend P&R.
Weaknesses: Rebounding, Physique.

Analysis: If you're comparing Bender to Portzingas you're going to be disappointing. He isn't Portzingas, he isn't near as NBA ready as Kristapas was. He is younger, more untested, and raw. He does however have alot of tools you want in a top 5 selection they just aren't developed yet, hence the risk involved. Will they develop is what makes it a risky pick. I love what he does on D. Unlike alot of euros the guy wants to play D/Be a 2 way player and has shown the ability to guard multiple positions. He'll stretch the floor as well. He needs to work on his physique and his rebounding rate isn't where you would want a 7 footers to be. That's my main concern. Ultimately I think if you tapper expectations the 1st year or 2 years you'll see a guy starting to be a major contributor down the line and offer a unique skillset that can cause mismatches. He had the most potential at 4 IMO, but I wouldn't say he is a slam dunk future "star" or any of that other stuff. I'm optimistic for sure...but its far from a slam dunk. Alot can go wrong with developing Euros. I think he offers more and is further along then Chriss...In this spot/with these players, I liked it.
Grade: B+

Pick #8: Marquess Chriss. I didn't want Chriss....
Strengths: Athleticism, Mechanics on his shot look good
Weakness: Doesn't move his feet on D, Rebounding, Motor, Bball IQ,

Analysis: First let me state Moving up to #8 isn't the issue. The issue is I just flat out don't like the prospect. Your drafting an athelte essentially and trying to make him a good basketball player. This guy has only averaged 5.4 Rebs a game in college. He fouled out of 15 of 34 games. His rebounding was worse then his POINT GUARD! He's raw...I get it. He's going to get better and get coached up, he's only 18, and he has a build like he can handle the grind that is the NBA. I get it. I just don't like this pick. I would of rather either A) stayed put...Taken Hernangomez/ Lukwawu at #13 and Davis/Skal at #28 or B) Traded up for Sabonis or Hield/Murray (who weren't there it turns out). I tried to talk myself into it, but I can't. There is nothing about Chriss that makes me think he will develop into a lottery pick. Even his interviews/demeanor seems to be very immature and aloof. I hope I'm wrong and the guy is a A+ Athlete. He's also another guy that you can't expect much from in yr 1 and prob 2. You look for improvement but unlike Bender, he just doesn't seem to quite understand the whole basketball game yet. Where you're waiting for Bender's body to develop and him to get up to speed on the NBA game, Chriss you have to teach how to fully understand Bball it seems and instincts. I'll be honest had we stayed at 13 and he was available I wouldn't of taken him. That being said I will happily eat crow If I'm wrong and I'm rooting hard for the kid. I've whiffed before the other way (what up Reece Gaines) Hope I'm wrong here too.
Grade: F

#34: Tyler Ullis. I wanted Ullis, there were others on the board I wanted as well..But I was satisfied with this pick.
Strengths: Bball IQ, Shooting, Court Vision
Weaknesses: Size....Obviously.

Analysis: I'm bullish on Ulis. I realize that he isn't Isiah Thomas or Nate Robinson in terms of explosiveness, but he is going to have a long career in this league I believe and be a key supporting player for good teams. He knows how to run team, despite his size he was a very good defender at Kentucky, and he plays the game really really smart. I have a friend who thinks he is Ish Smith, but not as quick. Ulis can shoot...Smith can't huge difference. I said it last night, but he's already the best decision maker on the team probably. Ulis's physique will make it tough for him though obviously..not only 5'5/5'10 but also only 149lbs?? He's going to need to get in the gym and hit it hard. But everything about this says he'll find a way to get it done. He was actually predicted to go in the mid-late 1st, but a hip issue at the combine pushed him down. apparently that's not an issue. Hip the suns give him a shot and clear out a guard (or 2) to give him mins this yr. He's more ready then Chriss or Bender (although doesn't have the ceiling obviously).
Grade: B

Overall....It's hard to give it better then C+ because of the middle. I'm not enamored with drafting two lottery forwards who both aren't great at rebounding the basketball. I really like the potential of Bender, particularly given the other choices at 4 I'm fine with waiting on a guy who has more potential just isn't as NBA ready. I think Ulis is going to be fun to watch and will develop into a solid player for a good team (whether thats us or not who knows) and I hope Chriss matures with age and uses that athleticism to become a better rebounder and not just depend on it to make up for his atrocious defense. The biggest gap between Bender and Chriss, IMO is on The Defensive end. 1 guy is willing to play it the other relies on his athleticism which leads to foul trouble.

Overall, I think This will make or break McDonaugh. They said they were split on who to pick at 4...wonder who Sarver wanted?
Last edited by Sunsfan4life on Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Chriss averaged 8.6 rebounds per 40 minutes. Which isn't great, but unless you're talking about Fat Lever or Magic Johnson it's not the same rate as a point guard.

Pretty much every site out there is giving the Suns high grades for the trade, pick and overall draft so we'll just have to see how it turns out.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Dragan at 4:
I like the kid. He has a good combination of size, bounce, and quickness. Seems to have a basketball mind and a passion to play. He can get his shot off against anybody. We will see if he can hit those shots under pressure, and if he can defend. We will see if his body holds up to NBA physicality.

Chriss for Bogdan, #13, and #28:
My mind and my heart disagree with each other on drafting Chriss.
Mind: It's great that we traded a several players with low upside for one player with high upside. We need a star, not a bunch of role players. If the gamble doesn't work out, we will still be bad enough to try again next year.
Heart: But Chriss is going to suck and those other guys are going to be good!

Ulis:
This is a good 2nd round pick. At worst, he becomes a good practice player, at best he cracks the rotation as a backup. He knows he's a long shot and will work his butt off to keep the job. He's a smart guy who can teach while he practices.

The rest of the League:
TWolves got the guy they wanted, but I'm not sure he is the guy that roster needs. I hope they don't compromise Wiggins + KAT passing and movement for a D minded coach who wants to run isolations on offense.

Nuggets are exactly who I don't want to be. Lots of good / interesting players. Nobody great. Would be a playoff team in the East.

Spurs got another good player in D Murray

Can't believe all the guys who shot up into the lottery/ first round. WOW What did Davis do to fall so far? He was predicted as high as #8 in some mocks earlier this year.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Cap

Post by Cap »

ShelC wrote:Can't wait for micro ball with Ulis, Bledsoe, Knight, Booker, and Tucker on the floor!
Replace Tucker with Goodwin and I'm sold.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Oh, and I agree with Shel about the Suns just taking players and not building a team. What's the plan, guys? Chriss and Bender play 15 minutes each and don't develop much, then fire Watson when we don't make the playoffs?

I still expect another trade or two before opening day,and one during the season. We won't leave our PG situation alone for 2 summers. I still wouldn't be surprised if we grab Lin.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

The Bobster wrote:Chriss averaged 8.6 rebounds per 40 minutes. Which isn't great, but unless you're talking about Fat Lever or Magic Johnson it's not the same rate as a point guard.

Pretty much every site out there is giving the Suns high grades for the trade, pick and overall draft so we'll just have to see how it turns out.
Meh shouldn't of said Rate. Murray (His PG) averaged 6.0 Rips though in college compared to Chriss 5.4. Chriss averaged less mins, but he was in foul trouble half the time.

I see that alot of pundits are applauding Phoenix on a great draft I'm just stating my opinion on it. Hope it works out....
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

As for other teams..
Winners:
Philly did very well. Got 3 of the top 20 prospects IMO...Simmons was obvious but BC did his international HW I think.
I like what Denver did. Murray next to Mudiay will be interesting (They also have Gary Harris). Beasley was a late riser up boards as well.

Losers:
No Idea what Sacramento is doing. They drafted 2 more bigs to go along with Boogie and WCS. The Greek guy might be good, but was anyone taking him before 22, their next pick?

Boston had a meh night. I'm shocked they didn't pull of a trade. My favorite value pick for them was Bentl. I like Ainge, but he hasn't had the best last few drafts.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Here's what SI.com said and they're pretty spot on:

Dragan Bender AND Marquese Chriss. Brandon Knight AND Eric Bledsoe AND Devin Booker. Tyson Chanlder AND Alex Len. The Suns are a mess in the best way possible.

They may have not any clear plan or direction, but they have options, and that's more than you can say for most bad teams. They came into this draft looking for a stretch four, and they'll leave with the two best stretch four options on the board, and all it took was giving up a role player to the Kings. Chriss isn't a sure thing and Bender's upside is questionable, but this is a huge win.

There are still too many similar players on Phoenix's roster. But given how chaotic that equation sounds, the long-term Suns outlook is remarkably positive. Chriss and Bender are insurance policies for each other, but they could also fit well side-by-side, too. And provided one or both pans out, Phoenix will have a killer pick-and-roll partner for Devin Booker when it's time to start really competing in the West in a few years.

Cap

Post by Cap »

O_Gardino wrote:Oh, and I agree with Shel about the Suns just taking players and not building a team. What's the plan, guys? Chriss and Bender play 15 minutes each and don't develop much, then fire Watson when we don't make the playoffs?
They're both projects, so 15 mpg as rookies may be fine.

As for the latter issue, McD was careful to temper expectations during the presser. He doesn't expect to make the playoffs this season. Watson's mandate is to develop the young talent for the future, which is exactly how it should be.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

That's actually really refreshing to hear. That tells me Sarver has given him time, so now he can give Watson time.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Cap wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:Oh, and I agree with Shel about the Suns just taking players and not building a team. What's the plan, guys? Chriss and Bender play 15 minutes each and don't develop much, then fire Watson when we don't make the playoffs?
They're both projects, so 15 mpg as rookies may be fine.

As for the latter issue, McD was careful to temper expectations during the presser. He doesn't expect to make the playoffs this season. Watson's mandate is to develop the young talent for the future, which is exactly how it should be.
Good to hear, Cap. I hope it's true and we do have time to develop.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:Well, the draft has delivered two PFs with high upside but also probably the highest bust potential as well. I feel like the trade was an overpay and that they indeed were madly in love with Chriss, because just standing pat you could have had Valentine AND Skal. I would have never done it, to draft Chriss at least, but we'll have to see how things unfold. Huge test to our development ability, which is a problem with the guards still at the helm. Ullis is universally applauded as a floor general but there needs to be a trade involving at least one of the PGs for him to make an impact. Hate how almost everything comes down to the trade of one or both guards.
We stole the 8th pick from Sacramento. Bogdans value went down when he refused to come over this year since his contract will now go way up. And there is really no way to know how his skills will translate. Sonny Weems looked all-world two years ago in Europe. Great use of a marginal asset.
You are right that we don't know how he will translate. I don't see him as a marginal asset at all, though.