2014 NBA Draft

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

TOO

Re: 2014 NBA Draft

Post by TOO »

Jahii Carson had a good workout according to McD.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I've always been pretty intrigued by Patric Young.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Damn it. I found myself thinking the same some weeks ago and dropped it when I saw he was not projected even as a second rounder in some sites. Always was impressed by his mix of strenght and mobility.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

He might be a very good Tight End in the NFL.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:He might be a very good Tight End in the NFL.
Exactly. He's not a basketball player. Tremendous physical specimen, but not skilled and really won't be able to do even the normal big man things at the pro level, like rebound and block shots. Also has no feel for the game.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Jahii Carson had a good workout according to McD.
He plays like Bledsoe, so it's not surprising McDonough took a liking.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

INFORMER wrote:
Exactly. He's not a basketball player. Tremendous physical specimen, but not skilled and really won't be able to do even the normal big man things at the pro level, like rebound and block shots. Also has no feel for the game.
That's what second rounders are for sometimes.

TOO

Post by TOO »

INFORMER wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Jahii Carson had a good workout according to McD.
He plays like Bledsoe, so it's not surprising McDonough took a liking.
Better shot coming in IMO, but he's just little. Would consider in mid 20's but probably wouldn't take him.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
That's what second rounders are for sometimes.
Alton Ford, anybody?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/50661
But the fact that Embiid is probably a couple years away from being an impact player in the NBA is giving them pause (his back is an issue too, but that should be resolved soon one way or the other as both the Cavs and Embiid's agent are negotiating a visit and physical).
Negotiating?! THEY HAVE THE NUMBER ONE PICK IN THE DRAFT!!!!!!!! You're in line to get MILLIONS from this organization and you can't even show up for a freaking interview?

Agents are so freakin' out of hand and the draft process is getting ridiculous. These guys can't even show up to the combine. It's not like anyone expected them to actually compete.

It's getting worse and worse. First guys were refusing to workout against anyone. Then they wouldn't do drills at the combine. Then they wouldn't go to the combine. And now it's not even a given that they'll visit the team that has the number one pick in the draft. What's next? Players won't actually play any organized basketball before entering the draft? They'll just ask GMs to watch youtube videos of the prospects playing H-O-R-S-E in the driveway.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Agreed, not to mention limiting access to their physical records. Still, is very common to hear criticism on teams that coming draft day choose to pass on a prospect who refused to meet them, specially on hindsight.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

INFORMER wrote:http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/50661
But the fact that Embiid is probably a couple years away from being an impact player in the NBA is giving them pause (his back is an issue too, but that should be resolved soon one way or the other as both the Cavs and Embiid's agent are negotiating a visit and physical).
Negotiating?! THEY HAVE THE NUMBER ONE PICK IN THE DRAFT!!!!!!!! You're in line to get MILLIONS from this organization and you can't even show up for a freaking interview?

Agents are so freakin' out of hand and the draft process is getting ridiculous. These guys can't even show up to the combine. It's not like anyone expected them to actually compete.

It's getting worse and worse. First guys were refusing to workout against anyone. Then they wouldn't do drills at the combine. Then they wouldn't go to the combine. And now it's not even a given that they'll visit the team that has the number one pick in the draft. What's next? Players won't actually play any organized basketball before entering the draft? They'll just ask GMs to watch youtube videos of the prospects playing H-O-R-S-E in the driveway.

Agreed. It's farcical. It should be a condition of nominating for the draft that you at least go to the combine and interview with whatever teams want to talk to you,

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Players who do this stuff should be fined. It should reduce their maximum possible rookie contract salary by some amount.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Easier. Make it a requisite to enter the draft. None who has not been measured, witnessed and interviewed at an NBA facility (the city that held the '201X NBA Draft Campus') once by any team that has interest in the prospect. After the Finals are done. Make it the show of the summer.

No agent tricks. Just FO game. Equal chance to see and gather info.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I would tie it to the rookie contracts. I'm not saying raise the salaries, just make it to where the current scaled salary is only achievable if certain conditions are met.

Let's say the maximum salary for the number one pick currently is a 4-year, $20 million contract. The maximum annual salary would thus be $5 million. What I am proposing is make the base salary $3 million and have the rest be incentives:

Combine appearance: $250k
Combine participation: $250k
Team visit: $500k
Team visit w/competitive workout: $250k
Multiple team visits: $250k
Complete physical: $500k

As the rookie scale salary lowers with each subsequent draft selection, so to do the above bonuses.

So no one is forced to do anything.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Dario Saric, I'm told, has let it be known he plans to go to NBA next season if drafted by Celtics or Lakers.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Dario Saric, I'm told, has let it be known he plans to go to NBA next season if drafted by Celtics or Lakers.
With the 17th pick of the NBA draft, the Celtics pick...
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

TOO

Post by TOO »

What a turd.. Entitled children, gross.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:I would tie it to the rookie contracts. I'm not saying raise the salaries, just make it to where the current scaled salary is only achievable if certain conditions are met.

Let's say the maximum salary for the number one pick currently is a 4-year, $20 million contract. The maximum annual salary would thus be $5 million. What I am proposing is make the base salary $3 million and have the rest be incentives:

Combine appearance: $250k
Combine participation: $250k
Team visit: $500k
Team visit w/competitive workout: $250k
Multiple team visits: $250k
Complete physical: $500k

As the rookie scale salary lowers with each subsequent draft selection, so to do the above bonuses.

So no one is forced to do anything.
I like it.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."