NBA News: Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: NBA News: Offseason

Post by In2ition »

I have a hard time feeling bad for OKC, when they wouldn't even have a team if they didn't steal one away from Seattle. Dems da brakes, sh!t happens!
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Split T wrote:
Indy wrote:I am way late to the party, but why the Durant hate? The goal of any game is to win. If it is a team game, then that means being on the best team. It isn't about winning despite your team; it is about winning because of your team. When you play pick-up basketball, and you are a captain, you pick the best available player because you want to win. You don't pick lesser players to prove you can beat the other team because of how great you are. I know I am ranting, but come on. Durant should want to be in the place that gives him the best chance at multiple championships.
but if you're playing pickup and your team is winning 11-1 every game, you switch up the teams. It's a little preemptive as they haven't played a game yet, but this feels like what's happening. The warriors didn't win the championship, so the best team ever talk went away, but they were legitimately in the conversation. Adding one of the top 5 player since 2000 just doesn't seem fair. I don't blame Golden State or Durant, they both did what was in their best interests and you can't fault them for that, but it's kinda crappy for the rest of the league and I hope we find a way to stop these super teams from getting more and more super.
There's been a lot written about this recently, but it took a very fluky series of events and some unique timing in order for this super team to happen. The owners proposed a cap-smoothing that would have lessened salary cap space for teams and greatly benefited the existing players in the league but the union rejected it for reasons unknown (I think Michelle Roberts was trying to flex some muscle - it was soon after she was hired). I also don't know if Durant makes the jump if GS doesn't blow the 3-1 series lead. Of course, it also took 10 instances of teams passing on Klay in the draft and 34 for Draymond to get to this point as well.

Point being, I don't think we'll see another super team being put together quite so "easily" again.
Ha! Just wait until the league is talking about Book, Bender, Chriss, Ulis, Len as a death line up with Warren as the ultimate 6th man. ;)

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:I have a hard time feeling bad for OKC, when they wouldn't even have a team if they didn't steal one away from Seattle. Dems da brakes, sh!t happens!
Word. Eff them.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Gladiator wrote:I'm late to the party too but my two cents worth is that I don't think anyone has a problem with Durant as such. It's his decision so he can do whatever he feels is best for him. However most people feel it's not best for the game. I mean the season isn't going to properly start until the conference finals.

Also while he handled the exit in a low-key way which is to his credit, durant's decision feels a bit of a let down because
-he has publicly called out players for doing this kind of thing before
-it's historically unprecedented for a player as good as him in his prime to join a team as historically good as the Warriors. It's another level to Lebron and the Heat, who didn't join an already super team
-he was a little disingenuous with his letter. Talking about growth as a player and person? Come on. He joined GWS because he thought that's the best chance at a title. Nothing more, nothing less.

So in short I don't begrudge him making his decision. I just would have preferred he made a different one
Very valid take.

Indy

Post by Indy »

He joined GWS because he thought that's the best chance at a title. Nothing more, nothing less.
Well, he might also enjoy life a lot more in the Bay than in Oklahoma City. And maybe he likes his new teammates more. I know that if I could keep doing my job, with a group of people I like to be around a lot more than my current coworkers, and move from a place like OKC to the Bay (and money was no concern for me), how do you say no?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
He joined GWS because he thought that's the best chance at a title. Nothing more, nothing less.
Well, he might also enjoy life a lot more in the Bay than in Oklahoma City. And maybe he likes his new teammates more. I know that if I could keep doing my job, with a group of people I like to be around a lot more than my current coworkers, and move from a place like OKC to the Bay (and money was no concern for me), how do you say no?
I have no plans on living in the bay area, but I really do love the city and if I was single, rich, and didn't have kids, it would be on my list of places I would live. It's far better than OKC.

I read an article that OKC didn't allow access to their players to the local media, which seems odd to me. Maybe when he was talking about growing as a player, he may have meant in a small way giving more access to the media. Or, maybe not.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

Indy wrote:
Well, he has talked about how much the Oklahoma City community and his old team mean to him. If those things meant enough you'd stay. Also, given he seems concerned with adding rings to his cv for his legacy, it would be a greater feat to lead his team to one rather than being a piece for the Warriors.
Again, I can understand why he did what he did. It's not a massive deal to me, I just would have preferred he went down a different path

Indy

Post by Indy »

But we aren't talking about Robert Horry chasing rings with the Lakers and Spurs. I think you can argue that Durant is the best player on the Warriors. I don't think history will look back and say those rings don't count as much (if they do go on to win).

And, yes, I would have preferred a different path too, for me. It would have been great if he signed here for next to nothing and let us recruit other top 5 players in the league to play next to him.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I know most seem to think Wade being dramatic and bluffing but this is the latest from Woj

Adrian WojnarowskiVerified account ‏@WojVerticalNBA
Sources: In last few hours, Bulls calling teams to unload contracts, trying to create space to sign Dwyane Wade. Wade is serious about them.
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Indy

Post by Indy »

What assets do they have?

OE32

Post by OE32 »

I can't blame KD at all from wanting to get away from Westbrook. He may not get as many shots, but he'll get a lot more touches and play much better basketball in GSW.

I can't just indiscriminately hate success. Besides, superteams routinely fail. I, for one, will be rooting for the Warriors. That team sucked for so long. I'm happy for their fan base.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Re: Wade. All I care about is, can he **** the Heat? Whatever he can do to **** that franchise is what I want to see. If him getting paid means Richardson's out, great! If Winslow, even better! (but come on, that ain't happening)

I really don't think it will take a first to unload a contract, for either the Bulls or the Heat. There's just so much space out there. We're far from the only team with the ability to absorb these contracts. The price should be more like two second rounders.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Indy wrote:What assets do they have?
Assets might be a stretch Indy with not many being the answer or maybe none
Vincent Goodwill ‏@vgoodwill
Bulls are definitely working phones, getting aggressive. I get the sense they don't want to trade Taj Gibson, so Dunleavy/Calderon in play
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Monroe/Parker/Middleton/Freak/Wade is a pretty decent 5.
Tons of talent, but a significant lack of 3-point shooting outside of Middleton.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Sources...Wade to the Bulls
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Nene to the Rockets....1yr/2.9mil. Depth signing.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

BTW it says Bulls have found takers for both Calderon and Dunleavy but not saying who. in 2 seperate deals

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/750747619366989824

I've always liked Markel Brown. Should be able to be had for pennies. Suns don't have room for him. The Warriors should reach out to him.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

carey

Post by carey »

INFORMER wrote:

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/750747619366989824

I've always liked Markel Brown. Should be able to be had for pennies. Suns don't have room for him. The Warriors should reach out to him.
We have an open roster spot unless you mean at his position. SGs that shoot under 40% from the field and just 31% from 3 don't interest me a whole lot unless they defend like Bruce Bowen.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!