NBA News: Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JCSunsfan

Re: NBA News: Offseason

Post by JCSunsfan »

Sunsfan4life wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:I am hoping Bender will have similar skills.
Very different players.
Both are big ball handlers and excellent passers. Simmons is a rebounder while Bender is a shooter. I think Bender has shown a better defensive game.

I expect Bender to rebound and lead the break just like Simmons. Watson has said the same thing.
Sorry. I thought you were comparing Bender to Dedmon.
No I would agree that they are pretty different. Bender's two main strengths are his shooting and he is pretty versatile on D and from everything I hear takes defense very seriously and as a challenge. I really like that about him in the changing pick and roll NBA (You saw what value a tristian thompson had in the finals when he was switched onto Curry)

Simmons Passing, Vision, and dribbling for a Big are his best strengths. He was also a very good rebounder in college where as Bender as a meh one. His deficiencies are his shooting (right now...his mechanics aren't that bad, so it can be fixed), His motor and his defense and the question whether he actually wanted to play defense.

They're pretty different. Simmons will be starting alot of breaks for the Sixers this yr, I don't see that in Benders future nor do I see a play similar to what I posted earlier.
Bender spent much of his earlier basketball days as a pg, even when he was 6-9. His passing and court vision are exceptional. His ball handling is too. Watson has said that he expects Bender to rebound and lead the break often. The reason that Simmons will probably do it more is because he is a much, much, better rebounder. I think that Bender's passing skills are better than his shooting.

Cap

Post by Cap »

JCSunsfan wrote:Bender spent much of his earlier basketball days as a pg, even when he was 6-9. His passing and court vision are exceptional. His ball handling is too. Watson has said that he expects Bender to rebound and lead the break often.
Even if that's true, don't expect Bender to routinely make plays like we saw in those Simmons highlights. OE put it best when he said, " :shock: ".

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

And keep in mind Simmons hasn't been playing in any meaningful games since the season ended for LSU.

This guy is going to be a star.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

The Allen Crabbe ($75M/4) contract is trash.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Cap wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:Bender spent much of his earlier basketball days as a pg, even when he was 6-9. His passing and court vision are exceptional. His ball handling is too. Watson has said that he expects Bender to rebound and lead the break often.
Even if that's true, don't expect Bender to routinely make plays like we saw in those Simmons highlights. OE put it best when he said, " :shock: ".
The sorts of passes Simmons was making were incredible. Just elite. Even a great passing big (like we hope Bender will be) can't be expected to make passes like that. Hell, I don't remember the last guard who came into the league making passes like that. Rubio?

And despite all that sizzle, he only had one turnover. Wow.

carey

Post by carey »

OE32 wrote:The sorts of passes Simmons was making were incredible. Just elite. Even a great passing big (like we hope Bender will be) can't be expected to make passes like that. Hell, I don't remember the last guard who came into the league making passes like that. Rubio?

I think you're exactly right. He's a point forward version of Rubio that can't defend yet. He's still young. I just hope the Philly coaching does what they need to do for this kid.

As far as Bender, can we just get a look at the kid before we decide what we can and can't do yet? :)
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

carey wrote:
OE32 wrote:The sorts of passes Simmons was making were incredible. Just elite. Even a great passing big (like we hope Bender will be) can't be expected to make passes like that. Hell, I don't remember the last guard who came into the league making passes like that. Rubio?

I think you're exactly right. He's a point forward version of Rubio that can't defend yet. He's still young. I just hope the Philly coaching does what they need to do for this kid.

As far as Bender, can we just get a look at the kid before we decide what we can and can't do yet? :)
:roll: k

carey

Post by carey »

JCSunsfan wrote:
carey wrote: As far as Bender, can we just get a look at the kid before we decide what we can and can't do yet? :)
Why does that deserve an eyeroll? None of us really know what Bender can do because there's hardly any footage and he barely played.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

Derrick Williams gets $5M from the Heat on a one-year rental.

Mo Speights on a one-year deal from the Clippers as well.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Cap

Post by Cap »

carey wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
carey wrote: As far as Bender, can we just get a look at the kid before we decide what we can and can't do yet? :)
Why does that deserve an eyeroll? None of us really know what Bender can do because there's hardly any footage and he barely played.
I think it's fairly safe to predict we won't be seeing him make plays like those :shock:ing Simmons highlights.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:As far as Bender, can we just get a look at the kid before we decide what we can and can't do yet? :)
Agreed.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Indy wrote:That is such a depressing article, Mori.
Why was it depressing?
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Absolutely. Nash could be luring free agents here, but instead he's with another franchise. Along with Rick Welts.

carey

Post by carey »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Absolutely. Nash could be luring free agents here, but instead he's with another franchise. Along with Rick Welts.
I need to pick on you a bit here. Do you really give a shit about Rick Welts? Do you know what his responsibilities were when he was here and do you know if the person fulfilling them now are doing a better or worse job? Or is it more the "exodus of personnel" that you are frustrated with and not necessarily which personnel outside of Nash and Dragic.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:
Why was it depressing?
It is always depressing to hear about how the warriors (a perennial doormat for a long, long time) turned their franchise around, and did it with a lot of cast offs from us (offense, coaching, players--including the reneged trade). They took a lot of what we were building in 2005-2010 and did it right.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

carey wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
Call it a "yeah you got me drinking the rookie koolaid" eye roll. Not intended as a slight toward you. Guess I need a little more experience using those things.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

carey wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
I need to pick on you a bit here. Do you really give a s*** about Rick Welts? Do you know what his responsibilities were when he was here and do you know if the person fulfilling them now are doing a better or worse job? Or is it more the "exodus of personnel" that you are frustrated with and not necessarily which personnel outside of Nash and Dragic.
I didn't Google it just now, but I thought he was in charge of advertising or managing non-basketball personnel or some things like that. I don't have a deep attachment to Rick Welts. I just meant that at least a few people who left this org are now on the Warriors and seem to be well regarded.

And I'm actually glad we traded Nash. We got a bunch of assets for him, and he didn't really play any meaningful basketball after he left here. We cut bait on him at the perfect time. I just wish we had managed the relationship and the departure better so that he would have wanted to come back here after his playing career and work for our org.

The person I really should have listed after Nash was Steve Kerr. I don't know how I forgot to say his name. He is the real prize we let get away.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Yeah you can't say cut bait, assets and at the same time want the perks of a lifelong relationship. You have to treat people well if you want the same deference. Just my opinion.

Pips

Post by Pips »

Well Nash got what he wanted, u could build castle for Marion and he would still live in his i deserve 20 mil. extension would until he saw real world.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

carey wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
I need to pick on you a bit here. Do you really give a s*** about Rick Welts? Do you know what his responsibilities were when he was here and do you know if the person fulfilling them now are doing a better or worse job? Or is it more the "exodus of personnel" that you are frustrated with and not necessarily which personnel outside of Nash and Dragic.
I care about it both ways.

Welts was our PR and media guy. His job was to build the brand. As a Suns fan who never lived in Arizona, I really wish the Suns had a more nationally minded PR person. There's hardly any Suns coverage even when the Suns were great, and if you can find a Suns hat in a store, it's dog ugly. So yeah, I wish we had a San Fransisco / New York style conscious person running our PR organization.

Of course, most of us are frustrated with the perceived "exodus of personnel" and what it implies about how Sarver treats people.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan