Phoenix Suns 2014: Offseason Moves

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Re: Phoenix Suns 2014: Offseason Moves

Post by carey »

Captain Marv-el wrote:I still Hope the suns get Kevin Love
He spent all weekend in Boston getting wined & dined and hanging out with Rondo. Considering their offer can completely trump ours in every way I get the feeling that the Suns aren't even in the running.

I wonder what the deal is. #6, #17, and Olynyk or Bradley? The Celtics roster stinks pretty bad. They may have to throw in a future 1st.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Bradley is also a RFA, so if they want to get it done at the draft the C's would need to send out somebody else. If they wait until the summer they can put Bradley on the table and say Humphries on a one year contract (again) big enough to make salaries match.

If they don't wait, #6, #17 and two more picks, plus filler sounds like a good start.

The Celtics could also take Kevin Martin's contract plus Budinger/Shved and send out Gerald Wallace's contract, which runs one year shorter than Martin and is not all that smaller (10M vs ~7M).

Boston also has a fully unguaranteed 5M 'owed' to Bogans so instead of spending so many draft assets they could add to him Olynyk or Sullinger, but I don't know how interesting they'd be to the Wolves.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:He spent all weekend in Boston getting wined & dined and hanging out with Rondo. Considering their offer can completely trump ours in every way I get the feeling that the Suns aren't even in the running.
Yeah, but we haven't presented him with his Nash-style leather bound book yet.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I hear Mark Cuban has his team of cartoonists working overtime to draw up a 147-page graphic novel starring Kevin Love and Dirk as we speak.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

^ :lol:

Captain Marv-el

Post by Captain Marv-el »

Default hawkfan Trade Scenario (where amazing happens): Hawks and Suns
Hawks get

Channing Frye (expirer)
1st round pick

Suns get

6.8 million more in cap space
2nd round pick

The Suns clear out around 8 million in cap space (6.8 million for Frye's contract and then around 1.2 million for their first round pick). The Suns then use that extra cap space with the other cap space they have to sign Bledsoe to a long term extension (4 years, 12-13 million per season) and then still have enough cap space to make a run at Pau Gasol. The Suns get a 2nd round pick to either pick a long term project.

The Hawks get Frye to help stretch the floor and a 1st round pick to add another young player.
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showth ... p?t=339987
$HAϟAM

Hiphop Family Treeϟ Roots

Captain Marv-el

Δthis is why i like this board much better

:idea:

you aren't stupid
Last edited by Captain Marv-el on Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
$HAϟAM

Captain Marv-el

azcentral sports ✔ @azcsports
Follow

International 'draft and stash' may be #Suns' best move says @paulcoro http://ow.ly/xyKuJ
9:03 AM - 3 Jun 2014
Retweeted by Paul Coro
Last edited by Captain Marv-el on Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
$HAϟAM

Captain Marv-el

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over-and-over expecting different results. This Mercury team checked out of the insane asylum after looking to the most stable basketball franchise over the past 18 years.

"This team is stacked," Mistie Bass on team identity. "We are trying to be somewhat like the (San Antonio) Spurs where we have lots on the bench and we are coming hard. On a team like this you have to find what you are good at. Find your niche."

Since the 1997-1998 season the San Antonio Spurs have won 50+ games each year except for the 1998-1999 season where they won 37, in a strike shortened season, where they on pace for 50 wins, and won the NBA Championship. They model consistency. In the earlier years success was predicated on the star power of Tim Duncan with terrific support players surrounding him. That evolved into a "Big Three" with All-Star talents emerging around Duncan in Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili putting more pressure on teams leading to five more trips to the NBA Finals (including this year) and three NBA Championships.

They got better with time, which in large part was due to the construction of the roster outside of the Big Three. They were there and they were going to do their thing regardless, but to win on a championship level again they needed the right supporting cast.

Enter in the youth of Kawhi Leonard, Patty Mills, Tiago Splitter, and Danny Green. Pepper in some veterans like Boris Diaw,
]:lol:

even, :lol: THE MERCURY DONT WANT TO LISTEN TO THE SUNS
:lol:

THE MERCURY LISTENIN TO THE SPURS

Suns suck!

Why yall take down that old school mercury and even the Cards board????

ssSMH
Last edited by Captain Marv-el on Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
$HAϟAM

TOO

Post by TOO »

Aaaand Mute.

EDC

Post by EDC »

When does Frye have to opt in? Does that date happen before the draft?

I actually hope we don't have Frye on the team at the start of next year. I wouldn't give him up for a 2nd rounder though. At times Frye's post defense is pretty good. The problem is his help defense is just so awful. That combined with his inconsistent shot and I just think he is hurting the team more than helping. He does space the floor but that isn't enough.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Did it show Frye and a 1st for cap space and a second? That is what the old Sarver would have done. Gawd, I hope that the old Sarver is dead and gone forever.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

carey

Post by carey »

The opt out date is the first official date of Free Agency and this year that is July 1st.

And just in case you didn't know the draft date, that is June 26th.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Captain Marv-el

carey wrote:The opt out date is the first official date of Free Agency and this year that is July 1st.

And just in case you didn't know the draft date, that is June 26th.
Thank you Carey, I didnt
Last edited by Captain Marv-el on Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
$HAϟAM

TOO

Post by TOO »

Unless McD asks him not to, I think Frye opts in.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

In my opinion he should opt out and negotiate a 4 year contract that consolidates him like a piece the Suns would want to keep around (4-4'5M per, for instance). That's not what he is if he takes his 6.8M.

England Sun

Post by England Sun »

The more I see of other teams desire to get Love the less I see him here.
As much as I think he would be great in our system and potentially bring us closer to a ring with another body brought in as well I just wouldn't want to give away too much in that pursuit and others seem to be able to give more.

I hope McD can really pull off another amazing off season off us.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yeah, I just don't see us being able to get him. It also doesn't help that he hasn't shown a lot of interest. It appears he's looking for a big spotlight (LA, NY, Boston).

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Apparently the Kings are the front runners offering up anything but Boogie. They are sold on the fact that either Randle or Vonleh will be available at 8.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Apparently the Kings are the front runners offering up anything but Boogie. They are sold on the fact that either Randle or Vonleh will be available at 8.
Plus, they don't need a commitment to make the deal.

"Be Legendary."