Suns release Archie Goodwin

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Suns release Archie Goodwin

Post by Indy »

Not surprising

Cap

Re: Suns release Archie Goodwin

Post by Cap »

A little surprising, considering that he has a guaranteed contract. They couldn't find a taker?

Indy

Post by Indy »

I am assuming they worked something out with him because someone showed interest but didn't want to give a 2nd rounder. He just wasn't going to find minutes here.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

RIP Archie.

In memory of his greatest play ever which occurred this preseason:

[youtube][/youtube]
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I wish Archie the best of luck. There just weren't enough minutes here for him so this is in his best interest and the Suns know that.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I don't know for sure, but it seemed that his own stubbornness was his demise. They talked and talked about how they wanted him to change, work on and improve his outside shooting, but it never seemed like he was keen on doing that. At least it never looked like he did anything to change it and if he did try, it was a half hearted effort
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

jonh

Post by jonh »

I like the move. There was no room for him in the backcourt, and he appeared to be the most likely candidate to be disgruntled this season (outside of Knight).

Im excited to watch him develop into a valuable, multi-dimensional role-player on the 2019-2020 Spurs championship team. :)

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Cap wrote:A little surprising, considering that he has a guaranteed contract. They couldn't find a taker?
In a perfect world, perhaps, but anybody with a pulse who follows the NBA knows that the Suns backcourt is jammed full and that Griffin was one of the odd men out.
Why waste a pick when you can lay odds that he's going to get kicked to the curb?

Any way, good luck to him. Hope gets into the right situation and the light bulb comes on.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Well, good luck, Archie. I really liked your slashing and above the rim play. I hope you go somewhere you can get lots of minutes in a system that challenges you.

Maybe this means we really like both Jones jr and Jenkins.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

carey

Post by carey »

O_Gardino wrote:Well, good luck, Archie. I really liked your slashing and above the rim play. I hope you go somewhere you can get lots of minutes in a system that challenges you.

Maybe this means we really like both Jones jr and Jenkins.
Jenkins is 10x the shooter Goodwin is, but I still don't know what to make of Jones Jr. I want to thank you guys for picking up the news slack as a community. My son had a baseball tourney yesterday. They came in second which meant we played 5 games and we were there from 8 in the morning until 10 at night. Then had to drive home. My legs are mush and I kind of slept half the day away today. I'll get the weekly news thread up shortly.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

https://twitter.com/paulcoro/status/790654327543230465

Looks like Jenkins is sticking with us.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

https://twitter.com/paulcoro/status/790660241201438721

Jones Jr. also sticking but I think his salary becomes guaranteed in January so can be waived until then. I expect him to start the season with the NAZ.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I wish him well, but I think it's fine that we released him. The team is doing a smart thing, which is actively trying to avoid chemistry problems like the ones that plagued us last season. If Archie is grumpy about his lack of minutes and role on the team, it's best to let him move on and go elsewhere. I wish he had developed a better jump shot, but he doesn't seem to be doing that so far. Until he does, I don't think he will ever crack a rotation on a regular basis. Maybe he needs to go overseas for a while.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:I don't know for sure, but it seemed that his own stubbornness was his demise. They talked and talked about how they wanted him to change, work on and improve his outside shooting, but it never seemed like he was keen on doing that. At least it never looked like he did anything to change it and if he did try, it was a half hearted effort
And if he tried his best, it wasn't good enough. That many years in the league and that much time to just work on your shot and that many expert shooters around to learn from and that's the result? Not nearly good enough.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:Jenkins is 10x the shooter Goodwin is...
And 1/10th the athlete. But I'll take shooting/good decision making any day.

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Deuces.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Watch Archie go to the Spurs, work with Engelland on his shooting and become a rotation player for them.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I wonder if the Warriors would be a good fit? He could handle the ball, push in transition, and just set up guys like Curry and Durant.

carey

Post by carey »

In2ition wrote:Watch Archie go to the Spurs, work with Engelland on his shooting and become a rotation player for them.
A lot of people are saying that. I don't think he's there kind of guy but who knows. They've surprised me before with rehabilitation, like Stephen Jackson.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Superbone wrote:
carey wrote:Jenkins is 10x the shooter Goodwin is...
And 1/10th the athlete. But I'll take shooting/good decision making any day.
Jones is every bit the athlete that Archie is.