Suns News: Week 13 1/16-1/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
TOO

Re: Suns News: Week 13 1/16-1/22

Post by TOO »

Can you trade an injured player?

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Can you trade an injured player?
Yup, the player just wouldn't take a physical.

I think the Kings and maybe Knicks are the only dumb enough teams out there who would overlook Knight's advanced statistics and see that he has made every single team he's been on worse when he plays (Pistons, Bucks and now Suns) and still trade for him.

I'd even take an expiring Derrick Rose for him.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Taking Rose would be a headache the rest of the year. He's playing for his next contract and wouldn't want to play in a backcourt with Bledsoe, forget coming off the bench. At best we'd have to go small with Booker at the 3.

Still think there's something there with the Magic. Or if we can get creative, maybe the Cavs since LeBron wants another PG. It would mean coming off the bench for Knight and he's not a traditional PG, but I'm sure he'd fall in line with LBJ on the team and could act as another distributer/ballhandler in the Kyrie mold. Shump would be the guy I'd target to get back.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

We could just buy out Rose so he never even has to play here at all.

And yeah I've said the Knight for Shumpert thing before. The Cavs have too many 3 and D players and not enough playmakers so I think they would be willing to part with Shumpert.

For the Suns, perhaps Shunpert can teach Booker about defense or the Suns could use Shumpert as a trade chip to some other team for picks. He's locked up on a decent contract for a decent 3 & D player.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Knight isnt a playmaker and I dont think you can have enough 3D wings when youre building your team to compete with the Warriors.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shumpert starts at the 2 for them while Smith is out. He is their best back court defender and is shooting 40% from 3. I don't think there is any chance they move him for Knight.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

carey wrote:
MightyMoog wrote:What about Knight for Rudy Gay and Cauley Stein?
I have no problem with that even if Gay opts in next year.
Can we expand it to include Tucker and McLemore? If not, I would still pull the trigger.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Shumpert is the only player that makes sense $$ wise to trade for Knight. JR Smith is LeBron's new bff now so he won't let em trade JR away. And obviously none of the big 3 can get traded.

Well I guess we could do Frye/Anderson for Knight?

Frye and Anderson are both expiring contracts iirc.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I also doubt Knight is what Lebron had in mind when he said they need a backup pg. Knight's not going to Cleveland, Cleveland would rather have Frye.

Cleveland is more likely to be after guys like Tim Frazier, Aaron Brooks, Brandon Jennings, Jerian Grant, Raymond Felton, Jameer Nelson, D.J Augustin, Trey Burke, Isaiah Canaan, Tyus Jones, Shabazz Napier.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I would do the Cauley-Stein deal yesterday.

I'm not sure that Shumpert is actually a good defender. He's a guy known for playing better defense than offense, sure. But is he actually a good defender?

I think Chicago might be a worthwhile destination for Knight.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Trading Tucker for the Clips' second-rounder would be just giving him away. I see no reason to do that.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Trading Tucker for the Clips' second-rounder would be just giving him away. I see no reason to do that.
OTOH, i cant imagine tucker resigning here next season.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

SDC wrote:[OTOH, i cant imagine tucker resigning here next season.
Why not? We'd probably pay him decently well, and he'd be able to get 30+ minutes a lot of nights (ugh), all without the pressure to win. Who else can offer him that?

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Why not? We'd probably pay him decently well, and he'd be able to get 30+ minutes a lot of nights (ugh), all without the pressure to win. Who else can offer him that?
Plenty of teams I suppose. Nobody should though :)

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

pickle wrote:I would do the Cauley-Stein deal yesterday.

I'm not sure that Tucker is actually a good defender. He's a guy known for playing better defense than offense, sure. But is he actually a good defender?

Ftfy

SDC

Post by SDC »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
how about we put a bet on that?

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

specialsauce wrote:
pickle wrote:I would do the Cauley-Stein deal yesterday.

I'm not sure that Tucker is actually a good defender. He's a guy known for playing better defense than offense, sure. But is he actually a good defender?

Ftfy
For what is worth, against Cleveland Tucker was the only one able to stay in front of LeBron, at least a couple of times. Warren and Bender were absolutely hopeless.

Let's not take away fromt he guy the few contributions he makes, regardless of his obvious limitations.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Trading Tucker for the Clips' second-rounder would be just giving him away. I see no reason to do that.
McD has said publicly he wants decent value for Tucker, and that a second-rounder won't do it.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

Tucker will be 32 next season, and will be probably signing his last major contract. If he's smart (and if his agent is wise) they want the most money from the best potential deep-playoff team. He's looking at Dudley's numbers and probably saying that's a starting point.

And the Suns, if they are wise, will not go that route...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?