Suns News: The Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Ring_Wanted

Re: Suns News: The Offseason

Post by Ring_Wanted »

SDC wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:Have you stopped to think that fringe playoff team can in fact be the ruin of a particular youth and minimal salary? You are starting to give the impression that you are assuming that any kid that might have been selected with the #27 would make it.

Diminishing returns in a real thing. There are countless examples of good rookies that never amounted to anything on the teams that drafted them because there was not room for them, and it doesn't need to be a contender. This is not a mere excuse to sell a pick for 3M, it is a real phenom.

From a franchise standpoint entering the draft with a predefined mindset can be a recipe for commiting mistakes. And mistakes can adopt different shapes. If I am the one making the decisions for the franchise I need to look at the pick not only as a soon to be 2014 draftee, but also as an asset. If I make the pick and I am not putting the kid in a good environment for his development, there is a good chance that I have wasted that asset, and it is never coming back.
this is why i said macdo may not survive next season if he makes the wrong move.
Stop this already. The Suns could have the worst record in 2014-15 and McD wouldn't get fired.

SDC

Post by SDC »

WOOF.. thats a horrible idea.
you're the same guy who said giving up the late indy pick for gasol was a bad idea. everybody outside the suns bubble thought otherwise.
Last edited by SDC on Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
SDC wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:Have you stopped to think that fringe playoff team can in fact be the ruin of a particular youth and minimal salary? You are starting to give the impression that you are assuming that any kid that might have been selected with the #27 would make it.

Diminishing returns in a real thing. There are countless examples of good rookies that never amounted to anything on the teams that drafted them because there was not room for them, and it doesn't need to be a contender. This is not a mere excuse to sell a pick for 3M, it is a real phenom.

From a franchise standpoint entering the draft with a predefined mindset can be a recipe for commiting mistakes. And mistakes can adopt different shapes. If I am the one making the decisions for the franchise I need to look at the pick not only as a soon to be 2014 draftee, but also as an asset. If I make the pick and I am not putting the kid in a good environment for his development, there is a good chance that I have wasted that asset, and it is never coming back.
this is why i said macdo may not survive next season if he makes the wrong move.
Stop this already. The Suns could have the worst record in 2014-15 and McD wouldn't get fired.
i also wrote in the past that having the worst record for next season will ironically save his job.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Who is everybody outside of the Suns' bubble? Windbags like Bill Simmons and Chris Blowshard?

SDC

Post by SDC »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Who is everybody outside of the Suns' bubble? Windbags like Bill Simmons and Chris Blowshard?
inside the suns bubble. coro, gambo and ash, bickley, original2.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Those guys have no credibility when it comes to who should do what. Just because they are paid for their opinions, doesn't make them right. Wasting a 1st on Gasol guaranteed us nothing, in hindsight it was right not to trade for him because he ended up hurt.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Hindsight's problem is that once you change a factor, everything else can change too. Besides the vertigo, he injuried a groin plying a game for the Lakers. Who knows what happens if he was playing for the Suns instead.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Speaking of hindsight, I found a little something last night that I'd like to look back on again.

And again.

And again.

INF called the trade spot on last July, one that I thought would be a pipe dream because of his inclusion of Plumlee in addition to Green and a 2014 1st rounder - all 103 dunks by Miles Plumlee for 2013-2014 :

EDC

Post by EDC »

Now that was enjoyable. I can't wait to see a refreshed Plumlee this season. The long schedule seemed to drag him down.

Has anyone heard what he is up to this off season? I wonder if he will play in the summer league.

Hopefully he comes into training camp with a confident jump shot. If Len progresses I would love to see the two of those guys on the floor together guarding the rim.

Oh and for Plumlee's sake I hope Dragic is learning how to throw an alley oop this summer. :)

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

EDC wrote:Now that was enjoyable. I can't wait to see a refreshed Plumlee this season. The long schedule seemed to drag him down.

Has anyone heard what he is up to this off season? I wonder if he will play in the summer league.

Hopefully he comes into training camp with a confident jump shot. If Len progresses I would love to see the two of those guys on the floor together guarding the rim.

Oh and for Plumlee's sake I hope Dragic is learning how to throw an alley oop this summer. :)
According to his In star am account, he's been in the Caribbean with his family.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

carey

Post by carey »

Mori Chu wrote:What do you guys think is a fair deal for Tucker? 3yrs/$12m?
A must read for anyone that wants to give this guy $4Mil or more per year: http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/6/21/5 ... -criticism

Basically he's still not even league average offensively as a SF and shoots sub 45% on 2s, which is worse than he's shot in the past. Careful buying into the "improved" rhetoric when he's added only the left corner 3 to his game which throws his offensive numbers a bit out of wack.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

It is clear that the 3pt is the only reason why we are discussing a contract in this 4M per range. Without it he is strictly a SF Lou Amundson. But right now he is a 3D guy and if you think he'll manage to keep this weapon in his arsenal, that figure is not ridiculous. That's around what the likes of Thabo, Dudley, Green, Courtney Lee, etc have been making, give or take.

EDC

Post by EDC »

He played pretty well for us this season mostly on the defensive side of things. The problem is I'm not sure how much more he will improve. Hopefully he works on his shooting but a lot of his other mistakes are him just over estimating his abilities. I'm not sure if that would get much better with time.

Throw in the fact that at some point if this team is going to contend he will have to make the switch to the bench. It probably wouldn't be this upcoming season so he will have had 2 full years as a starter before going to the bench. How will he handle that and what kind of issues might that bring up.

I think his production on the court is easily replaced. The media likes to hype up the leadership stuff but how important was it really? That is what coach is there for and hopefully Goran and Bledsoe become more vocal. I think I would rather give Green or Marcus ,although that would hurt us defensively, the start and draft a SF for the bench.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Starting PJ or making him a bench player is not an issue to me. Actually, if it was up to me he'd play 20mpg off the bench. But I believe that 20mpg of all out PJ Tucker is worth the money we are discussing. And nobody is saying he is perfect. He indeed tries to do too much on offense, but in my opinion his hustle, defense, rebounding and toughness make up for it.

And honestly, the argument that he is replaceable is of little weigth. We are talking about a role player. Those are fungible goods in the NBA by definition. Of course he is replaceable. Basically everybody on our roster is but Dragic, but at some point you want to stop being a revolving door and get some stability.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:What do you guys think is a fair deal for Tucker? 3yrs/$12m?
A must read for anyone that wants to give this guy $4Mil or more per year: http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/6/21/5 ... -criticism

Basically he's still not even league average offensively as a SF and shoots sub 45% on 2s, which is worse than he's shot in the past. Careful buying into the "improved" rhetoric when he's added only the left corner 3 to his game which throws his offensive numbers a bit out of wack.
That article doesn't convince me of anything. Tucker's D and hustle dirt working is the most important thing he brings to the team. This writer values Jimmer Fredette more than Tucker for god sake.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

EDC wrote:I think his production on the court is easily replaced. The media likes to hype up the leadership stuff but how important was it really? That is what coach is there for and hopefully Goran and Bledsoe become more vocal. I think I would rather give Green or Marcus ,although that would hurt us defensively, the start and draft a SF for the bench.
Agree to disagree. No matter how much you hope, Bleds and Dragic aren't vocal leaders. Tucker IS the vocal leader of this team. Unless his salary gets out of hand, you keep him.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Starting PJ or making him a bench player is not an issue to me. Actually, if it was up to me he'd play 20mpg off the bench. But I believe that 20mpg of all out PJ Tucker is worth the money we are discussing. And nobody is saying he is perfect. He indeed tries to do too much on offense, but in my opinion his hustle, defense, rebounding and toughness make up for it.

And honestly, the argument that he is replaceable is of little weigth. We are talking about a role player. Those are fungible goods in the NBA by definition. Of course he is replaceable. Basically everybody on our roster is but Dragic, but at some point you want to stop being a revolving door and get some stability.
Yep, yep, yep, and yep.

"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

It is nice so see somebody agreeing with me on this. Look, I have no personal interest in these guys, and yeah, I get that we are far from contenders, but it's gotten to a point that I think we take production for granted, and in our particular case I believe it has to do with the fact that we have many picks and cap space.

The thing is that even supposedly ready now prospects like Kieff or Lopez can take a lot of time to perform, and many others never manage to do it. What I mean is that it is not so clear that you are equally or better off letting a role player like Tucker, or Dudley, or Amundson, go over 500k-1M per and reacing him with a rookie or a similarly skilled free agent. Sometimes it is better to just keep what you got even if you have to make an effort. As long as it is not ridiculous, of course.

This is my mindset regarding Tucker and Frye, and probably the only two things that would make me think different are

1.- actually having a real bargain waiting in the wings. But I don't see Ariza or Hawes coming to play for 3M per, for instance. If this could happen, by all means go for it.

2.- getting the vibe that the player is not willing at all to meet a middle point in negotiations. Or being just about the money, as Aztec said. Which in the case of a RFA could translate into a dick move like just going out there, signing the highest possible offer sheet and coming to the Suns so they match.

If one or two actually happen, well, this is the business side of basketball, you thank the guy for his services and move on, but really, I'd like to see some continuity for a change. Not just for the sake of it, or due of attachment to players, but because I believe stability is one of the biggest keys to success in the NBA. At least sustained, long term success. Of course, I am not saying that such fate depends on keeping these particular players, but it is a factor often overlooked when we discuss these matters, and anyway, that's how I'd approach this summer.

Captain Marv-el

Post by Captain Marv-el »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Starting PJ
OR Raja Bell

HOW About we trade some of those dollar picks(proven) for Steve Nash and see about Signing Lebron

Steven Nash got alot of Respect because its his town to win a championship for

Its not Lebrons Town to lead to a championshp

but both of them together

well then it would be a masterpeice
$HAϟAM

Hiphop Family Treeϟ Roots

TOO

Post by TOO »

Suns' Channing Frye has 'til Monday to decide to play next season at $6.8 mil w/PHX or opt out. Source: "99 percent" he chooses free agency -Stein

Fuck Yes.