Suns News: The Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Re: Suns News: The Offseason

Post by carey »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Suns' Channing Frye has 'til Monday to decide to play next season at $6.8 mil w/PHX or opt out. Source: "99 percent" he chooses free agency -Stein

Fuck Yes.
LoL
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

Best news of the off-season. :D

carey

Post by carey »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Best news of the off-season. :D
Does he end up in Golden State when they don't get Love?

It certainly changes our off-season plans a bit. The extra cap room is pretty great, I won't lie.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

Kerr said something about wanting a stretch 4, so I could see that. Will GSW really favor Thompson and Frye over Love and Martin?

Will Frye get a raise from 6.8? I cant see that either.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I thought Frye was opting out so that he could get a slightly lower amount, multi-year deal, preferably from the Suns.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Turning down 6.8mil?

wow
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

TOO

Post by TOO »

Only way I want Frye back is if we can pay him in gum.

EDC

Post by EDC »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Only way I want Frye back is if we can pay him in gum.
What if we paid him on a per rebound basis?

We could also throw in a bonus every time he slides over defensively on the pick and roll to stop the other teams point guard from strolling right into the lane. :)

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

I'd like to keep Frye. He's affordable, and when his shot is on, he opens up our offense like no other. Plus, his history with the team, and the city.... if he wants a longer contract for less money per year, i'd jump on it.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Agree. It should be more about restructure, unless we feel like the Morris Bros can take his place with their shooting and rebounding for cheaper. I'd like to see Frye kept at the right price. I just don't like him as a starter.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Phoenix219 wrote:I'd like to keep Frye. He's affordable, and when his shot is on, he opens up our offense like no other. Plus, his history with the team, and the city.... if he wants a longer contract for less money per year, i'd jump on it.
Screw the history crap, his shot isnt on enough to warrant paying him anything. A streaky stretch 4 who doesn't rebound deserves no spot on the Suns.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yeah, I wouldn't be so quick to dump him. You might be surprised how much he's missed on the court and in the locker room.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

He was missed while ON the court this year. His numerous no-shows have done him no favors. If for some ridiculous reason we re-sign this turd, he needs to go sit where Shav Randolph sat at the end of the bench where the only you hear from him is the occasional fart.

SDC

Post by SDC »

if frye feels the suns will do nothing significant in this off season to improve themselves, he will opt out and sign a longer deal with GSW at a slightly lower price.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Given his life treathening experience from last year, I'm not surprised about Frye opting out, he is aware of how quickly everything changes, so this could be his last contract and I expect him to maximize his value, either here on wherever the money is.

I think the front office already have an offer for him on the table, a multiyear contract on a lower rate per year with the caveat of a trade being fair game had Frye chosen to take his final year at 6.8mill. So my guess is that Channing already knows what to expect from the Suns and after some days testing other teams' interest, he will go to the highest bidder.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

He has length, is an under rated defender, has a decent motor and one of the best stretch 4s in the league. He's not afraid to take big shots, for sure. I, for one, aren't going to hold small lapses against him considering that he was literally playing himself back into shape for the past year.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

At the right kind of money and length of contract, you have to keep Frye. He's a genuine 3-point threat and good influence on the younger players, from all reports. I put at least some of his mid-season shooting woes down to how much ball he had missed (a little like the rookie wall). He'll never be a lock down defender or 10-rebound per game player, but if he was he'd be a max player.

SDC

Post by SDC »

@espnsteinline Knicks are also said be looking at trying to buy a first-rounder if they can

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Smart move by Frye. I've been saying for some time now that he should opt out and cash in this season.

And for those who can't wait to get rid of him, let's keep in mind that he is a top20 catch and shooter and one of the very few real stretch PF/C with 3pt range.

If we plan to keep Goran-Bledsoe as a main weapon (you know, the Slash Brothers), we'd be wise to aknowledge the importance of this role to our system.
Last edited by Ring_Wanted on Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

I would love to keep Frye and see him retire a Sun, but I think he is looking to cash in a new contract out of our range. Otherwise, the news about him opting out, would come with a "likely to sign a new contract with the Suns" tag, as we keep hearing about PJ Tucker.