Suns 2014: NBA Draft

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Suns 2014: NBA Draft

Post by Superbone »

http://www.nba.com/suns/news/hornacek-w ... -prospects

Hornacek Wants More Than Athleticism From Prospects
When Hornacek sees draft prospects whose games similarly rely on physical gifts, he keeps a sharp eye for tell-tale signs that their games will provide as much substance as style.

“For me it’s, ‘do they have knowledge of the game?’” Hornacek said. “Defensively, if they’re on the weak side, what their reads are. To me that gives a good sense of [whether] they understand the game. Same offensively. If they make an extra pass. If they cut.”

Those nuances are more easily discernible in pre-draft workout scrimmages and by watching game film. The athletic tests, after all, only form a tantalizingly imperfect picture.

“I’m sure I wouldn’t have tested well,” Hornacek laughed. “Would John Stockton have tested well? You’re just looking at guys and if they can play the game.”
Is this an indictment against picking LaVine?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /11203917/

Many candidates come into focus for Phoenix Suns' multiple draft picks
"The thing that stands out most about Tyler Ennis is his composure," Suns General Manager Ryan McDonough said. "He was unbelievable in late-game situations this year. If you look at his possessions in close and late games, he was off the charts with how many game-winners he hit and how many big plays he made. So for a kid as young as he is, to have that kind of composure is pretty rare. He's also got a very good feel. He's one who just catches and makes the simple play. He doesn't overcomplicate it if a guy cuts backdoor and he's open, Tyler hits him with the pass."
We sure are looking at a lot of PGs. Hmm.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /11228043/

Front office looking to build off surprise success
What is almost definite is that the Suns will not come to next month's NBA Summer League with three rookies fresh out of the first round when they are still trying to work in Len and Goodwin. How that happens remains unclear until the possibilities unfold on draft night, depending on what players fall or drop with each pick.

McDonough said the Suns have the ability to move up some, not a lot, in the draft order. Packaging picks could pare this year's haul, but the Suns could also trade one or more picks for a player, trade back into a future draft or select an international player whom they would allow to continue developing overseas and keep off their roster and payroll.

It is clear is that the Suns are not in an all-or-nothing mode with their draft targets. They will draft the best available player, which might mean the best available potential.

"What we don't want to do, what we'll never do is draft a guy just because he is older and maybe more ready over somebody we think is going to be better and is going to have a better career," McDonough said. "We won't do that. I just think the draft is the best way to get guys who could be starters and hopefully potentially stars.

"The best way, if you get those guys, is to have them on a rookie-scale contract, keep them and re-sign them and all that. We're never going to kind of take the low-hanging fruit, I guess, and just sign a guy who we think might help us win a few more games but has a lower ceiling than some of the other guys that are still available."
We'd be seeing some big type if INF were here.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Suns' selection process flowing into Thursday's draft is as fluid as waterways forking in different directions. The Suns covered nearly each path by working out 72 players for their picks, which also includes a second-round selection at No. 50. They have brought in nearly every candidate for their first-round range, except for two international players who have not done individual workouts (Croatian forward Dario Saric and Bosnian big man Jusuf Nurkic) and the top two shooting collegians who have limited workouts to teams ahead of Phoenix (Michigan guard Nik Stauskas and Creighton swingman Doug McDermott).
I think it was INF that was wondering if McDermott had worked out for us. I guess he and Stauskas chose not to.

"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Superbone wrote:http://www.nba.com/suns/news/hornacek-w ... -prospects

Hornacek Wants More Than Athleticism From Prospects
When Hornacek sees draft prospects whose games similarly rely on physical gifts, he keeps a sharp eye for tell-tale signs that their games will provide as much substance as style.

“For me it’s, ‘do they have knowledge of the game?’” Hornacek said. “Defensively, if they’re on the weak side, what their reads are. To me that gives a good sense of [whether] they understand the game. Same offensively. If they make an extra pass. If they cut.”

Those nuances are more easily discernible in pre-draft workout scrimmages and by watching game film. The athletic tests, after all, only form a tantalizingly imperfect picture.

“I’m sure I wouldn’t have tested well,” Hornacek laughed. “Would John Stockton have tested well? You’re just looking at guys and if they can play the game.”
Is this an indictment against picking LaVine?
Or maybe an indication that the likes of TJ Warren, Kyle Anderson, Saric, McDermott, Stauskas etc are being heavily considered. Probably it is just a general statement that reveals nothing.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Superbone wrote:http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /11203917/

Many candidates come into focus for Phoenix Suns' multiple draft picks
"The thing that stands out most about Tyler Ennis is his composure," Suns General Manager Ryan McDonough said. "He was unbelievable in late-game situations this year. If you look at his possessions in close and late games, he was off the charts with how many game-winners he hit and how many big plays he made. So for a kid as young as he is, to have that kind of composure is pretty rare. He's also got a very good feel. He's one who just catches and makes the simple play. He doesn't overcomplicate it if a guy cuts backdoor and he's open, Tyler hits him with the pass."
We sure are looking at a lot of PGs. Hmm.
In theory we have room for one more PG, but we'd probably need to make some tweaks to the rotation if a rookie PG was to be actually played. Archie would need to be strictly a SG, and Green would need to slide to SF. Ish' time would be gone, of course.

I think this is just part of the due diligence process. If the most valuable prospect is a PG you probably need to just take him and figure out things later. And there is always the chance that McD doesn't match for Bledsoe or that he moves Goran.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Superbone wrote:
The Suns' selection process flowing into Thursday's draft is as fluid as waterways forking in different directions. The Suns covered nearly each path by working out 72 players for their picks, which also includes a second-round selection at No. 50. They have brought in nearly every candidate for their first-round range, except for two international players who have not done individual workouts (Croatian forward Dario Saric and Bosnian big man Jusuf Nurkic) and the top two shooting collegians who have limited workouts to teams ahead of Phoenix (Michigan guard Nik Stauskas and Creighton swingman Doug McDermott).
I think it was INF that was wondering if McDermott had worked out for us. I guess he and Stauskas chose not to.
This could be bad for those who love these prospects. McD is on the record saying that he probably won't pick someone who has not worked out for the Suns. In some cases it would be hard to believe, like if say Embiid or Randle fell, but maybe it actually holds weight speaking about players in the range the Suns are moving.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

IMO, McDermott would be one hell of a tough call if he fell to us at #14, but I wouldn't trade up for him.....

carey

Post by carey »

SwingMan wrote:IMO, McDermott would be one hell of a tough call if he fell to us at #14, but I wouldn't trade up for him.....
Depending on who else is there of course, but I think you take him at #14 and run, absolutely.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Dario Saric will be in Europe for at least 2 more years. Has an out in 2016. I've seen some mocks with us taking him, glad he's out of the draft. He scares the hell out of me.

The Knicks might be looking to trade Shump for a late round pick. If he's healthy, I'd trade the 27th for him in a heartbeat.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Actually I think this makes him a much better target for the Suns, strategically speaking. Could be great value at #18 and draft and stash, if Boston or Chicago don't take him.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Saric isn't out of the draft, infact like Ring said, he probabaly becomes a more plausible target for us.

I am worried it's a frans vasquez situation, but Honestly I think Saric is a top 10 player in this draft. The contract sit pushes him to us, depending on who is there, I wouldn't be that mad if we took him and left him there for a few years.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Saric only signed that deal because he probably couldn't get a lotto/top 10 guarantee. There's just something off about him and his situation. I think he's been the product of great hype and promotion without really proving to be an impact, every game player.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

I'll say one thing, not a huge fan of him maing that "I'll come over if Lakers/Celtics draft me" announcement. Just not a smart move marketing wise. But I like his confidence and game...you're probably right and no team would guarantee him, particularly the Lakers or Celtics.

Word has it Kings really like Mcdermott and he has been super impressive in workouts. Would add substance to his not working out for us, because maybe he received a guarantee to go higher.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

ShelC wrote:Saric only signed that deal because he probably couldn't get a lotto/top 10 guarantee. There's just something off about him and his situation. I think he's been the product of great hype and promotion without really proving to be an impact, every game player.
How much more could he have proven at his level?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

One player I don't want us to draft: Shabazz Napier.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

there is 3 on my don't draft list atleast for 14

James Young
Rodney Hood
Tyler Ennis

Not huge on Lavine either @ 14, but could understand it. I'd be fine w/him @ 18. (I like Stauskas,Anderson and Harris all better then him and 1 should be there at 14.)

That being said I trust Ryan Mcdonaugh and think the Goodwin pick has the potential to be a steal. Anything he does I will reserve judgement.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:One player I don't want us to draft: Shabazz Napier.
Because you wouldn't like the confusion it would bring to this board?

"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

There can only be one.

(also, I think he's a mediocre prospect and there are much better backup PGs available)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

New rumor is that the Kings put out a feeler to us on Bledsoe, offering IThomas and the 8th pick for him. Kind of out of left field, hasn't really been validated.