Suns 2014: NBA Draft

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
iLLmatic

Re: Suns 2014: NBA Draft

Post by iLLmatic »

Shel where did you read that at? I'd be happy if we made that trade.

TOO

Post by TOO »

It was a twitter rumor as far as I know. I'd do it if I were PHX, if only to avoid maxing Bledsoe.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:New rumor is that the Kings put out a feeler to us on Bledsoe, offering IThomas and the 8th pick for him. Kind of out of left field, hasn't really been validated.
INF would be all over that. I'm a little leery of what we might end up paying Bledsoe/Dragic also. I think I'd rather spend the money on a PF.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

He'd have to want to go there and it would have to be completed after the draft with Sacramento selecting for us. I don't see it, but you never know.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:New rumor is that the Kings put out a feeler to us on Bledsoe, offering IThomas and the 8th pick for him. Kind of out of left field, hasn't really been validated.
INF would be all over that. I'm a little leery of what we might end up paying Bledsoe/Dragic also. I think I'd rather spend the money on a PF.
INB4PAU.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Superbone wrote:
The International Nepal Fellowship?

Cap

Post by Cap »

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

As Carey points, it would be really complicated. Bledsoe and Thomas can't be moved at the draft so the Kings would have to pick our guy and then execute a simultaneous sign and trade after the moratorium expires, and that's assuming Bledsoe wants to go there. Cousins is his buddy, but it's Sacramento, and it's the Kings.

Isaiah just had a monster season but there is a reason as to why the Kings are supposedly looking for guards in the draft and I guess trades like this one. Thomas is not a point guard, he is a ball dominant driver and volume scorer who is tough as nails but also extremely small, and who needs a new contract the Kings are not sure he is worth.

I get not wanting to gamble on Bledsoe's health, but IT is best in a 6th man microwave role, not replacing Bledsoe alongside Dragic.

Unless you are absolutely in love with somebody at #8, and it leaves you with a roster that makes sense, you don't do this. I love Stauskas, for instance, but those three would make a really flawed backcourt on D.

If the Kings are so eager to move the pick and you are so interested in the #8, go the salary dump route. Just take Thompson/Landry, Outlaw, add something to sweeten the deal for the Kings and call it a day.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Very interesting:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /11298147/
Stauskas is often connected to the Suns but there was no known workout for him, or McDermott, in Phoenix. Stauskas at one point did name the Suns as one of four teams that would work him out.

Comments like this, which Stauskas made at the NBA draft combine, sure sound like a Phoenix fit — and then some: "If a team needs a guy who can really space the floor and they have a couple guys who are great at getting to the basket, that's going to open a lot of things for me. A team that likes to drive and kick would fit well for me."

Stauskas, a Goran Dragic fan, actually said all that without mentioning the Suns.

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

It would be a great smokescreen. The 49ers, despite loving Kaepernick, never worked him out prior to the draft so he'd stay off their radar.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Do they really need to work him out? It should be pretty clear what he brings to the table. High bballiq with elite shooting skills. Good handles and size along with good not great athleticism.
Last edited by In2ition on Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I hope not woking out doesn't matter in his case. At this point he is probably my #1 target if available, but I think he won't be there at #14.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't see what's to be gained by NOT working a guy out. Teams know about these players, and we've worked out plenty of players.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:I don't see what's to be gained by NOT working a guy out. Teams know about these players, and we've worked out plenty of players.
Maybe he did on the down low and it wasn't publicized? We did something along those lines with Dragic too.

"Be Legendary."

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11128 ... lo-anthony

The suns need to try and take advantage of this. I'd gladly eat Nash's contract for 7...a top 8 pick could net you a perennial all-star IMO wheather it be Gordon or Vonleh or even Exum. Throw them 18 and call it a deal.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

carey

Post by carey »

Sunsfan4life wrote:The suns need to try and take advantage of this. I'd gladly eat Nash's contract for 7...a top 8 pick could net you a perennial all-star IMO wheather it be Gordon or Vonleh or even Exum. Throw them 18 and call it a deal.
I'm down with it, like I said earlier. However, with both Melo & James opting out, I will literally die if they both wind up in Los Angeles somehow.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

dragickingdom

Post by dragickingdom »

It would be most satisfying if they were to mortgage the future more and strike out in free agency with both LBJ and Melo. Then spend too much on second rate players to make Kobe happy.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Sunsfan4life wrote:http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11128 ... lo-anthony

The suns need to try and take advantage of this. I'd gladly eat Nash's contract for 7...a top 8 pick could net you a perennial all-star IMO wheather it be Gordon or Vonleh or even Exum. Throw them 18 and call it a deal.
I'd definitely do this for #18 or #27 + future 2nds etc. if we don't have to give up a player. #'s 7, 14 & 18 or 27 is obviously a clear upgrade and Nash could retire in style.

Not worried about possible 2014-15 cap room in the least if it gets us Vonleh or Gordon - and with Frye walking, it's even more viable, as we'd be that much further from any possible luxury tax.

Fuck yeah, I'm in.

carey

Post by carey »

It's the kind of move we should do for the future. If they are serious about building this right. However, if they are just shooting for a playoff seed & a bit of improvement over last season I doubt they are interested in doing something like this.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

carey wrote:It's the kind of move we should do for the future. If they are serious about building this right. However, if they are just shooting for a playoff seed & a bit of improvement over last season I doubt they are interested in doing something like this.
Hell carey, this move would help us now as well as the future. Vonleh or Gordon would solidify the 4 for years to come and give us more quality depth with preserving, at least, #14 in the process (McDermott etc.). If the Lakers are that serious about gaining cap room, there's no reason at all we shouldn't do it.

Besides - I'm anxious to see if our training staff can squeeze one more year out of Nash in a vastly reduced role.

Fuck yeah - I'm all for helping the Lakers get Carmelo Anthony and LeBron James. ;)