Suns News: The Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Suns News: The Offseason

Post by In2ition »

No talk about K Ray being named the TV broadcaster?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't know much about Ray. I just went to YouTube and listened to him do a game call for a few minutes and he was okay but didn't really strike me either way. Thoughts on him?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:No talk about K Ray being named the TV broadcaster?
Well, there is now. First I've heard of it. Can't say I'm too excited. Didn't even know he was a play by play guy. I just know him as the sometimes sideline reporter.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I don't know much about Ray. I just went to YouTube and listened to him do a game call for a few minutes and he was okay but didn't really strike me either way. Thoughts on him?
Tom Leander 2.0

carey

Post by carey »

specialsauce wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I don't know much about Ray. I just went to YouTube and listened to him do a game call for a few minutes and he was okay but didn't really strike me either way. Thoughts on him?
Tom Leander 2.0
Basically this. He's a nice enough guy. You would see him doing sideline reporting nationally sometimes too. We definitely didn't go get ourselves an upgrade from Albert. Typical.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

azsportsfan

Post by azsportsfan »

On Kevin Ray - bad news for me. Watching will be near unbearable unless they can filter the marbles out of his mouth. I am concerned that I may have to watch the opposing teams' feeds on League Pass... :(

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

50 plus games of EJ commenting on how tight Kevin's shirts are. Can't wait.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Better than Leander of course, but it sort of smacks of the latest Suns' M.O. - go for the cheap, in-house candidate.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I was kind of hoping that they'd promote Earl Watson to play-by-play and then hire a real coach.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

For those that are curious, here is Ray calling a Wizards vs Suns game from 2015. Interestingly, he's calling it as part of the Wizards broadcasting team alongside Phil Chenier.
[youtube][/youtube]

"Be Legendary."

carey

Re: RE: Re: Suns News: The Offseason

Post by carey »

The Bobster wrote:Better than Leander of course, but it sort of smacks of the latest Suns' M.O. - go for the cheap, in-house candidate.
Or they are rewarding hard work from employees from within the organization?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Re: RE: Re: Suns News: The Offseason

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
The Bobster wrote:Better than Leander of course, but it sort of smacks of the latest Suns' M.O. - go for the cheap, in-house candidate.
Or they are rewarding hard work from employees from within the organization?
In this case, I totally feel that is the case. This ins't the first guy off the truck. He has been working hard for a long time for them, and gets national gigs too as a side line reporting. Good for K-Ray. I wish him success.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Superbone wrote:For those that are curious, here is Ray calling a Wizards vs Suns game from 2015. Interestingly, he's calling it as part of the Wizards broadcasting team alongside Phil Chenier.
FYI, I listened to the end of this broadcast and apparently KRay was sitting in for the normal Wizards play by play guy due to some type of family emergency.

I thought his performance was fine but nothing to write home about. I guess as long as he stays out of the way of the action, he'll be fine. It was Leander's crazy sayings that made him hard to listen to.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Just call the game, know the players, and dont be too much of a homer. Do that and I will be happy to listen to him.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Just call the game, know the players, and dont be too much of a homer. Do that and I will be happy to listen to him.
I think the nature of the job requires a little homerism (although I agree with you), but as long as it doesn't make the announcer call the game like the refs are trying to screw us with every call, I'm fine.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

TOO

Post by TOO »

A touch of homerism is ok, but when you get into the Spurs/Pacers/Celtics level its unbearable.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

His Suns knowledge will be helpful. Albert missed a lot of good opportunities on account of having nothing to do with the team (or the league) prior to joining the broadcast.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Not a fan of K Ray. Nothing personal. He just bugs me. He doesn't come across as genuine to me. Sort of plastic if that's any sort of description. I'll give him a chance but, not optimistic. Maybe I can tape Suns TV and radio and synch them up later muting the TV. Awe, who am I kidding? EJ will make it bearable?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Probably not the genre of music appealing to most around here.

https://soundcloud.com/ilove12am/devin-booker
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I like a lot of music, but that song makes me uncomfortable.