2017 NBA Draft Lottery

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JJ Slim

Re: 2017 NBA Draft Lottery

Post by JJ Slim »

Hey guys! I'm debating whether to watch the lottery tonight. I would love to see the Suns finally get #1 but am afraid I'll jinx them into #5. I'm pretty sure #1 will go to either Boston or Johnson's Lakers a la Jordan at Washington. I'm a firm believer in the conspiracy theories regarding the draft. Even if they should beat the odds and get the top spot Sarver sucks so bad that the pick will be wasted.

Anyways if the Suns drop you can be sure I watched and blame it on me.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'm not so worried about the Suns getting #1 this year. Although Fultz is probably the best player, likely #1 pick and my favorite for that position, he isn't a sure thing and only possible franchise changing player. I think they could find a great player to go with Booker at any of the top 5 spots. I wanted the top pick more last year.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

JJ Slim wrote:Hey guys! I'm debating whether to watch the lottery tonight. I would love to see the Suns finally get #1 but am afraid I'll jinx them into #5. I'm pretty sure #1 will go to either Boston or Johnson's Lakers a la Jordan at Washington. I'm a firm believer in the conspiracy theories regarding the draft. Even if they should beat the odds and get the top spot Sarver sucks so bad that the pick will be wasted.

You need to watch JJ. Just do it.

By the way, we (or maybe just me :P ) miss you around here.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

JJ Slim wrote:Hey guys! I'm debating whether to watch the lottery tonight. I would love to see the Suns finally get #1 but am afraid I'll jinx them into #5. I'm pretty sure #1 will go to either Boston or Johnson's Lakers a la Jordan at Washington. I'm a firm believer in the conspiracy theories regarding the draft. Even if they should beat the odds and get the top spot Sarver sucks so bad that the pick will be wasted.

SLIM! Good to see you are at least lurking.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

Just did one last mock lottery on ESPN. Top 3 went
1. Philly- Fultz
2. Suns- Ball
3. Celtics- Jackson

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:Just did one last mock lottery on ESPN. Top 3 went
1. Philly- Fultz
2. Suns- Ball
3. Celtics- Jackson
Would the Celtics trade Jackson in that situation to try to win now?

carey

Post by carey »

I don't see how Jackson helps the Celtics at all. They are top 2 or bust tonight.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Good to see you, JJ! I'm not worried that you have so much control as to affect the outcome of the lottery. Sorry. :D Watch it!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think Boston would take Jackson. They don't need Fultz with Thomas on the roster. Ball would be the best fit but they also have a hole at the SF spot where they could use a long, athletic swing who can handle the ball some.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:Just did one last mock lottery on ESPN. Top 3 went
1. Philly- Fultz
2. Suns- Ball
3. Celtics- Jackson
For the last 5 days or so, my routine has been to run the Tankathon draft simulator until the Suns get #1.

Today was one of the longer attempts. It went:

4->4->5->4->3->3->1

1. Phoenix
2. Philly
3. NY
4. Brooklyn->Boston
5. LA->Philly

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think Boston would love to trade their pick, whatever it lands, for George or Butler if they become available.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:I think Boston would love to trade their pick, whatever it lands, for George or Butler if they become available.
I think the same thing. I don't see how they help them now at all. Their #3 pick last year doesn't get a lot of time and they have a ton of pgs and wings right now. An established star and immediate contributor like Butler or George would serve them better.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:I think Boston would love to trade their pick, whatever it lands, for George or Butler if they become available.
I think the same thing. I don't see how they help them now at all. Their #3 pick last year doesn't get a lot of time and they have a ton of pgs and wings right now. An established star and immediate contributor like Butler or George would serve them better.
That's what I'm thinking about Boston. They just took a SF at #3 and are in the conference finals this year. They want someone to take them over the top, not someone to develop.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Interested to get y'all take on this

I hear pundits with this logic that Celtics will keep stock piling picks or young players and Ainge is willing to have them as assets for when Bron potentially steps away in a couple seasons so then they could really go all in assembling a championship squad with the conference up for grabs. Y'all buy that logic as reason for not trading the pick n getting Butler or PG this season ??

I would like to get Fultz also but I never paid much attention to the lottery before visiting this site a few years back so I haven't been burned as much as some of you. I can understand why you guys don't wanna get your hopes up
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't think Ainge is going after Boston, nor do I think LeBron would want to play in Boston. I could maybe see him spending a year or two in LA or NY towards the end of his career.

Ainge will probably make a play for George or Butler this offseason. I wonder if he'd make a play for Blake Griffin also.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Who's wearing their lucky romper today?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

ShelC wrote:I don't think Ainge is going after Boston, nor do I think LeBron would want to play in Boston. I could maybe see him spending a year or two in LA or NY towards the end of his career.

Ainge will probably make a play for George or Butler this offseason. I wonder if he'd make a play for Blake Griffin also.
Sorry ShelC if I wasn't clear , not that they are trying/hoping to get Bron in Boston but that the Celtics have not been going all in trading their picks to get other all stars because Ainge is supposedly waiting til Bron retires lol. That using the pick to get Butler or PG still wouldn't get them pass LeBron so they will keep drafting their high picks , I think it is funny if not a lil crazy that teams would be resigned to the fact that there's no getting past him in the East so was just asking
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

JJ Slim

Post by JJ Slim »

Thanks guys! I do miss you all too and think about everyone frequently. Sorry life gets in the way but things are going very well now. Last year was rough but that's history now.

Ok you talked me into watching. I'm still superstitious about it but I always was about watching/not watching. I've already got ESPN online queued up ready to get my fix. Keeping my fingers, toes and whatever else crossed. Lol!

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Lottery conspiracies are ridiculous.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:Who's wearing their lucky romper today?
I've got a Suns t-shirt on. I'll tell you that.

"Be Legendary."