Brandon Knight done in Phoenix?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: Brandon Knight done in Phoenix?

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I just hope it doesn't cost a major asset to move him. Another Kurt Thomas situation would be a nightmare. Sarver really needs to pony up the cash for a buyout if it comes to that.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:I just hope it doesn't cost a major asset to move him. Another Kurt Thomas situation would be a nightmare. Sarver really needs to pony up the cash for a buyout if it comes to that.
I'd like to think that he learned his lesson from that.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

At worst I'd look to flip him for Monta Ellis, who has one fewer year on his deal at $2M/year less.

We can then either try and flip Monta again or he'd be a more palatable buyout/stretch. If we can hold out until Summer 2018 we could stretch him for about $3m/yr for 3 years.

carey

Post by carey »

It's more likely that we'll have to trade for someone like Solomon Hill. Slightly smaller salary. Same years left.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

carey wrote:It's more likely that we'll have to trade for someone like Solomon Hill. Slightly smaller salary. Same years left.
There's no point in doing that. If we don't lose years, it isn't worth taking back a worse player.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

JCSunsfan wrote:Brandon Knight would be an interesting option for the Nets. They need to add talent wherever they can. It would be a good place to resurrect a career.
i thought of the nets also, since they need everything really. But they wouldn't be giving away picks, so what would be a fair deal?

sunshoopjunky

Post by sunshoopjunky »

sucks that this leaked.
Phoenix Suns - The art of taking a punch.

SDC

Post by SDC »

we never saw the starting 5 of bleds, knight, booker, warren, chandler. Sad!

SDC

Post by SDC »

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

When we signed Knight, I thought I remember some saying it was a good thing because it was under the old max numbers, so even if we needed to move him, he'd be more attractive to teams since he'd be making less the those under the new CBA. Guess that plan went out the window.

You can't go into the season with him. I respect that he played nice last year, but he can't be on the roster when training camp opens and I don't think McD can go thru another messy breakup. It's just not a good look for the organization.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't mind if he is on the roster. Don't give up a significant asset to get rid of him, is my request.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:When we signed Knight, I thought I remember some saying it was a good thing because it was under the old max numbers, so even if we needed to move him, he'd be more attractive to teams since he'd be making less the those under the new CBA. Guess that plan went out the window.

You can't go into the season with him. I respect that he played nice last year, but he can't be on the roster when training camp opens and I don't think McD can go thru another messy breakup. It's just not a good look for the organization.
There were quite a few around here saying that.

There were 3 camps:

A) I can't believe we just wasted our best asset then turned around and bid against ourselves to bring in a guy we could have got for less and without spending our best asset and he isn't very good anyway

B) Yeah to all that, but at least his contract won't be bad under the new agreement.

C) I think he is a really good asset, Ryan played his cards well, and this will work out.

Pretty sure there were only a couple (OK, maybe 1) in that last camp, but we were pretty evenly split on A and B.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Indy wrote:
ShelC wrote:When we signed Knight, I thought I remember some saying it was a good thing because it was under the old max numbers, so even if we needed to move him, he'd be more attractive to teams since he'd be making less the those under the new CBA. Guess that plan went out the window.

There were quite a few around here saying that.

There were 3 camps:

A) I can't believe we just wasted our best asset then turned around and bid against ourselves to bring in a guy we could have got for less and without spending our best asset and he isn't very good anyway

B) Yeah to all that, but at least his contract won't be bad under the new agreement.

C) I think he is a really good asset, Ryan played his cards well, and this will work out.

Pretty sure there were only a couple (OK, maybe 1) in that last camp, but we were pretty evenly split on A and B.
Nobody knew Knight would be this bad.
A lot of us expected Knight to be underwhelming, but nobody expected him to be so bad we would have to bench him, then ask him to play again because we started winning too much.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

I was in the wait and see camp. I didn't like giving up the Laker pick, and would have preferred not doing the trade but I was willing to give it a chance.

The biggest mistake was assuming the Lakers pick wasn't very valuable. I believe McD even made a comment on it not being very valuable because the Lakers would improve. Turns out the Lakers pick kept a lot of value. It could still end up being low, but the sixers still got Fultz out of it. My guess is we could have moved up to 1 this year if we still had the pick. Brandon Knight turned out to be poorly suited for our team and that just made things worse.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yeah, the worst part to me was the talent evaluation and how they thought he'd fit in. Boy, were they wrong. I know you can't get them all right but this one was costly and a major gaffe.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't know why we ever thought we needed Brandon Knight. Like, even if you are optimistic and assume that we get Brandon Knight at his best, why did we think we needed that player on our roster? Given what we already had/have, why did we think he was what we needed? Huge miscalculation on fit, even disregarding the enormous regression he has had since coming here.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Well the concept was having two players who can both run pick and roll on opposite sides of the floor. Keeps the defense off balance. It worked year 1 with Bled and Dragic and we were trying to recapture that with knight, who was younger and fit our timeline better.

It's easy to look back now and see how terrible the trade was, but at the time, I could see why McD did it. He made two judgement mistakes.

1. He assumed the lakers would get better quickly and that draft pick would lose value.
2. He assumed Knight would continue to improve. We joke about knight being AASE, but it's true. He was putting up 18/5/5 numbers and shooting 40% from 3 when we traded for him and he was 23 or maybe even 22, I don't remember. He's had quite the colossal drop to his numbers. Not sure why.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:I just hope it doesn't cost a major asset to move him. Another Kurt Thomas situation would be a nightmare. Sarver really needs to pony up the cash for a buyout if it comes to that.
If we sign Blake, it might more sense to give up an asset to move him. The cap room would be needed for another FA. Hopefully a quality distributing pg. Let's say we give up a Miami pick to move Knight, but that opens up room to sign Jeff Teague. Its basically a pick and Knight for Teague, which I would do in a heartbeat.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Split T wrote:Well the concept was having two players who can both run pick and roll on opposite sides of the floor. Keeps the defense off balance. It worked year 1 with Bled and Dragic and we were trying to recapture that with knight, who was younger and fit our timeline better.

It's easy to look back now and see how terrible the trade was, but at the time, I could see why McD did it. He made two judgement mistakes.

1. He assumed the lakers would get better quickly and that draft pick would lose value.
2. He assumed Knight would continue to improve. We joke about knight being AASE, but it's true. He was putting up 18/5/5 numbers and shooting 40% from 3 when we traded for him and he was 23 or maybe even 22, I don't remember. He's had quite the colossal drop to his numbers. Not sure why.
Yep. And Steph Curry was all the rage at the moment. Brandon looked like he was on a similar trajectory.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

JCSunsfan wrote:
If we sign Blake, it might more sense to give up an asset to move him. The cap room would be needed for another FA. Hopefully a quality distributing pg. Let's say we give up a Miami pick to move Knight, but that opens up room to sign Jeff Teague. Its basically a pick and Knight for Teague, which I would do in a heartbeat.
I would not trade that Miami pick. They ended last season strong but could be a deep lottery team this year. Please no giving away first round picks just to undo past mistakes and stupid contracts.