Suns News: The Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Gladiator

Re: Suns News: The Offseason

Post by Gladiator »

Phoenix219 wrote:
Gladiator wrote:I'm sorry but if you have the chance to get the best player in the game in his prime, without gutting your squad, you have to give it a go. I also think Lebron's probably the kind of person you'd like a lot more if he was on your side.
I don't care who's side he's on. I'm not going to all of a sudden turn a blind eye to qualities that I dislike and become all buddy buddy with someone just because he's on my side all of a sudden. I already know all I need to know about the "kind of person" he is.
That's cool. Maybe I'm far enough away to not see the stuff you're talking about on a day to day basis, so it's not as big a deal for me. I think the Suns would be an incredibly exciting team with him on, and a definite contender, so I'd get him to Phoenix in a heart beat if I could.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Gladiator wrote:
Yes, I think Gortat shouldn't have even been traded, and should have been our starting center all year; I think he was one of our best assets of the last decade, and that we wasted a rare solid Center on our roster, and I believe his production in Washington backs my wish
The Washington Gortat wasn't the same player we had for his last season or so. I think he needed the jolt of going to a new team to get him going. Also he's going to want to be paid more than I'd be comfortable paying him in his next contract.
I think we would have had the same Gortat last year, as we saw in Washington.... new teammates, new coach, jettisoned all sorts of baggage and bad influences, dumping Hunter, a new work ethic... I believe that we would have provided that same jolt this past year, and re energized him the same way....

I can't hold 2 years ago Gortat against him... he had to LIVE through that hell, we only had to watch it :D

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

To each their own. I'm a stubborn fuck, myself... *shrug*

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

You're a bit foolish Phoenix219. Would you have protested the Suns getting Jordan in his prime? This is, already, a top 3 player in NBA history in his prime. My God man. I'm all about championships. Homegrown talent and doing things a certain way don't get you a championship. Sports are cut throat today. You have to get the best players in the game if you want the throne.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It seems that the only type of team that would be acceptable to some is one that won a title like the Spurs. What we forget is that the have one of the very best players to ever play on the team and one that has sacrificed money for the whole. Also one that the Spurs had to tank the season to get. 219, you didn't find tanking acceptable, so how is it that the Suns work to build a championship team?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

TOO

Post by TOO »

In2ition wrote:It seems that the only type of team that would be acceptable to some is one that won a title like the Spurs. What we forget is that the have one of the very best players to ever play on the team and one that has sacrificed money for the whole. Also one that the Spurs had to tank the season to get. 219, you didn't find tanking acceptable, so how is it that the Suns work to build a championship team?
By doing it the Suns way.. Whatever the fuck that means. :lol:

SDC

Post by SDC »

some experts are actually hoping aaron gordon develops a jump shot like kawhi leonard.

uhm... the guy's a 42% FT shooter. Kawhi's 75% FT in college.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Gordon on the Magic is concerning for some reasons, leaving aside a possible reach at #4.

They already have a number of tweener forwards. Harkless and above all Tobias Harris also need to play, but above all they have no shooting whatsoever other than Fournier (who I like and could be primed for a breakout season but will sweat to fill Afflalo's shoes).

Payton-Dipo-tweener1-tweener2-Vucevic is terrific defensively (although the center is not a rim protector) and in terms of athleticism but the guards and Vucevic will need space to operate, and without 3pt threats it will be much harder. Lack of a true distributor when Payton and Oladipo are on the court together could also hurt Gordon's development.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

I'd give us a high 5% chance of actually pulling it off. I think we'll be like Dallas and strike out on the huge names though.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I'd give us a high 5% chance of actually pulling it off. I think we'll be like Dallas and strike out on the huge names though.
This exact though crossed my mind yesterday. We look perfect on paper for a number of reasons, but the superstars just won't consider it.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

https://twitter.com/Gambo987

https://twitter.com/Gambo987/status/483367008851873792

https://twitter.com/Gambo987/status/483367471483609088

https://twitter.com/Gambo987/status/483367994551058432

https://twitter.com/Gambo987/status/483368732895346688

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

5 teams to watch when NBA free agency opens

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/5-teams-wa ... --nba.html
HOUSTON ROCKETS
CHICAGO BULLS
ATLANTA HAWKS
DALLAS MAVERICKS
PHOENIX SUNS: In his first season on the job, GM Ryan McDonough helped engineer a remarkable season for a young Suns team that won 48 games. McDonough can offer free agents the chance to play for an innovative coach in Jeff Hornacek and with a dynamic backcourt in Goran Dragic and Bledsoe, presuming he returns. The Suns also have the best medical staff in the league and are armed with draft picks and young players going forward to make the future in Phoenix as bright as the logo on their court.

"Be Legendary."

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

I really don’t want Lebron on our team but I am a huge hypocrite when it comes to my sports so I’m sure if it does happen, I would change my tune rather damn quickly. What fun is life if you are not a hypocrite every now and then? At the end of the day, there is no chance in hell LeBron would sign with us. I am willing to bet a month of avatar shamming for it too.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Also, I am not really impressed with any of this summer's free agents.

edit: besides Lebron...

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I really don't think any of you need to worry about LeBron coming to the Suns. It ain't gonna happen. My hope though is that it opens the eyes of other FAs or soon to be FAs so they start thinking about the possibilities of coming to Phoenix. Maybe Love, for example, will reconsider Phoenix as a place to be.

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Gladiator wrote: The Washington Gortat wasn't the same player we had for his last season or so. I think he needed the jolt of going to a new team to get him going. Also he's going to want to be paid more than I'd be comfortable paying him in his next contract.
He sure wasn't. And you just pegged why I wouldn't want him on my team.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

Unless I don't know how the cap works anymore (I've read the CBA, but some parts are tricky) the Suns will NOT have the above the cap mid-level until next year.

However, you can't tell me that Dragic-Bledsoe-Melo-LBJ-Plumlee with a bench of Ennis-Goodwin-Warren-Mark/Marc-Len is not the best and deepest team in the league.

It really is a shame this won't happen. That team would maul people both defensively and offensively.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:Unless I don't know how the cap works anymore (I've read the CBA, but some parts are tricky) the Suns will NOT have the above the cap mid-level until next year.
I was going to point the same.

EDC

Post by EDC »

If it were to happen I think Bosh would be a better fit than Melo. Bosh has shown his willingness to take a back seat to Lebron when necessary. Plus he would be cheaper probably.

Bledsoe
Dragic
LBJ
Bosh
Plumlee