Earl Watson Fired

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: Earl Watson Fired

Post by O_Gardino »

Wally_West wrote:
General manager Ryan McDonough and Watson had often been at odds in their short partnership together, league sources told ESPN. Owner Robert Sarver was a significant part of the decision to replace Watson so early into the season, league sources said.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2111 ... arl-watson
Chriss is Watson's guy. Bled is Watson's guy. I'm curious to see what trades go down this season.

I'm telling you guys. McD is a better GM than you think. Sarver is calling a lot of the shots, and when Ryan goes to a new team he will do very well there. It'll be like watching Kerr succeed in GS.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Re: E**l W****n Fired

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:That's it, "coach." You are getting the asterisk treatment.

E**l W****n, you are now E**l W****n!! Now GTFO.
I don't agree with that AT ALL. It wasn't his fault he was given the reigns. What was he supposed to do, turn it down? He has nothing in common with the other asterisk members. Yeah, he was bad at his job but he was a good guy and tried his best. Sarver and McDonough deserve it more than he does, if you ask me. You might as well do it to Bledsoe now too.
I agree with Marty. Watson deserves the * treatment for teaching the players to be fake tough, foul on every play, lose their tempers, and get in a scuffle every other game.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

ShelC wrote:Good f*** riddance. At least Triano has head coaching experience. It's that great, but it's something.

Also, McD's next to go after the season. He's got no concept of how to build a team and keep order. Dragic, IT, the M****s idiots, Hornacek's firing, now Bledsoe and his tweets. You can say "don't blame him for Bleds' tweet" but still. It's always been something. Except for the 48 win season, which was an accident, we've been nothing but dysfunctional and underachieving.
It's been the same thing every year since Sarver took over. Dropping McD won't change that.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I will pay for a lower level seat in TV camera range for someone to bring a huge '$ARVER OUT' sign to the next home game. You'd also have to make a huge fucking scene when security takes it away and eventually get yourself kicked out of the arena.

Sorry, I can't cover legal expenses, so don't go too far.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:

https://twitter.com/sbordow/status/922227679721484289

That was obvious to everyone on both accounts.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

http://insider.espn.com/nba/insider/sto ... watson-nba
No defense is as bad as the Suns' has been so far this season, meaning improvement is inevitable thanks to simple regression to the mean. Still, if improving defensively is a priority, Triano -- previously the team's associate head coach -- is a curious choice. During Triano's two full seasons as a head coach for the Toronto Raptors, the team finished last in defensive rating both times.

Of course, the other assistant to Watson with any head-coaching experience was Tyrone Corbin, and his last Utah Jazz team finished -- you guess it -- last in the league in defensive rating.
Nice.

sunshoopjunky

Post by sunshoopjunky »

Bring on Jim Boylen
Phoenix Suns - The art of taking a punch.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

n4th4n wrote:Everyone should check out this thread. It is really interesting. I think he is making a lot of good points. Essentially, we were trying to run a complex flow style offensive system with kids who just weren't ready for it.
Been thinking THIS for a while. A flow offense is great for vets who understand the game. For kids who are learning...would you let your 15 year old on a learner's permit drive a Ferrari with manual transmission? Or a nice solid BMW with an automatic?

Hell, how about just a Toyota...

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/922320305074458624

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

https://twitter.com/haralabob/status/922320245594890241

EDC

Post by EDC »

Shabazz wrote:

If they start bringing in new assistants without hiring a new coach this is going to turn into even more of a shit show. Needs to be done within a few weeks as well.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

One huge positive about Triano is that he's really tight with Steve Nash. And Sarver never burned his bridges with Nash...I like the idea of bringing him in as President of Basketball Operations like some have mentioned.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Nash seems like way to high of a character guy to ever want to work with Sarver. A kid can dream though.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

djy2j wrote:Nash seems like way to high of a character guy to ever want to work with Sarver. A kid can dream though.
We can all dream.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

I'm interested on what spin EJ will put on it during tomorrow's game. I could never tell for sure if he was a Watson guy or not.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Looking through Raptors message boards it seems as if Triano would be a good tanking coach. It's not that Watson's offense was fundamentally flawed, the players just didn't have the BBIQ and confidence in the coach to actually play it through. Raptors fans seem to like Triano's offenses -- after all, it did get up to #5 in offensive efficiency and was good enough to get copied by the Blazers later on. Maybe Triano can actually get the kids to play within this offense.

Triano's also supposedly one of the worst defensive coaches in the league. Apparently that's why his w/l record looks so bad.

So, expect to see a lot more games like the LAL game the other night. I wouldn't mind that in terms of entertainment value, as long as the kids are developing. What I worry about is that they wouldn't learn defense.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wally_West wrote:
General manager Ryan McDonough and Watson had often been at odds in their short partnership together, league sources told ESPN. Owner Robert Sarver was a significant part of the decision to replace Watson so early into the season, league sources said.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2111 ... arl-watson
Chriss is Watson's guy. Bled is Watson's guy. I'm curious to see what trades go down this season.

I'm telling you guys. McD is a better GM than you think. Sarver is calling a lot of the shots, and when Ryan goes to a new team he will do very well there. It'll be like watching Kerr succeed in GS.
How can you think that Bledsoe is Watson's guy? He's always been McD's guy. He traded for him and he chose him over Dragic and Thomas and he won't trade him. I didn't think there was any question that Bledsoe was McD's guy.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:http://insider.espn.com/nba/insider/sto ... watson-nba
No defense is as bad as the Suns' has been so far this season, meaning improvement is inevitable thanks to simple regression to the mean. Still, if improving defensively is a priority, Triano -- previously the team's associate head coach -- is a curious choice. During Triano's two full seasons as a head coach for the Toronto Raptors, the team finished last in defensive rating both times.

Of course, the other assistant to Watson with any head-coaching experience was Tyrone Corbin, and his last Utah Jazz team finished -- you guess it -- last in the league in defensive rating.
Nice.
Just perfect.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:

Why not just clean house then. Triano and Corbin have both been bad NBA head coaches. I guess because we couldn't find anybody on that short of notice. Hopefully, they're next.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Glad Watson is gone, pissed Triano is the replacement. I expect more of the same.

Bring on the lotto balls!