SUNS 2014: Free Agency

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Sunsfan4life

Re: SUNS 2014: Free Agency

Post by Sunsfan4life »

The latest from ray ray over at realgm who has proven in the past to be very reliable when it comes to Suns rumors...
ray ray wrote:I haven't heard anything new on Lebron James. The last thing I heard was on Tuesday which was that the Suns FO was very optimistic.

Concerning the Indy rumor. They did call the Suns and inquired about Dragic availability. The Suns did say that for the right price, he would be available just like anyone in their roster. However, the Suns are NOT interested in anyone in their roster with the exception of Paul Gorge. There was a rumor last year about Paul loving the way the Suns played basketball. He made a comment that he would "tear it up even more" in our system. That didn't mean that he wanted to be traded to the Suns. It just meant that he admired the way we played which ALOT of players around the association do including LBJ.

There is some cocnern around the pacers FO that Paul is not a superstar that you can built your team around. That doesn't meant that they are willing to trade him. It would cost the Suns Dragic and more to get Paul in a trade.

Rondo doesn't come to Phx unless, Bledsoe is traded or LBJ decides he wants Rondo.
Once I hear more I'll let everyone know. However, the Suns FO is keeping the doors close and it's said the McD is working te phone feverishly.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

https://twitter.com/paulcoro/status/484771886807527425

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

yup...I thought we were posting suns FA news here but it seems like people are still in the Off-season thread...Just posted it there. Also
According to SB Nation, the Suns are looking at a number of players on the free agent market apart from Bledsoe, including Chandler Parsons, Isaiah Thomas, Gordon Hayward and Luol Deng as well as players like Danny Granger and Trevor Ariza. The team is hoping to keep Channing Frye and some other names like Ed Davis, Spencer Hawes and Pau Gasol also could be in the mix. Last season the team was close to trading for Pau Gasol before that deal went through and now they could try and sign him on the free agent market.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

carey

Post by carey »

I'm wondering if we actually have a plan or not. Seems like a broad range of names that we are interested in right now.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

I for one enjoy the fact that we aren't out there all obnoxiously, let everyone else make a spectacle while McD spins his gold.

TOO

Post by TOO »

carey wrote:I'm wondering if we actually have a plan or not.
INF is that you? :D

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

I actually find it refreshing we are mentioned with so many names, but not directly linked.

It means Mcdonaugh is keeping all options open

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Agreed. There's a plan.

And look at it this way, last time our guy had a "plan" we were handing a contract over to Michael Beasley at 12:01am. And imagine the nightmare we'd be in if the Hornets don't match that offer sheet.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

carey wrote:I'm wondering if we actually have a plan or not. Seems like a broad range of names that we are interested in right now.
Smokescreen.....

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

I think we are doing our due diligence, making and acepting phone calls, and then agents and beat writers fill up the blanks to get some hype.

Like this
"...and Pau Gasol also could be in the mix. Last season the team was close to trading for Pau Gasol before that deal went through and now they could try and sign him on the free agent market."

We were going into a playoffs run, with Okafor's expiring in the hand, and considered to swap him for Gasol's expiring contract, and aparently the breaking point was the inclusión of a draft pick. I don't see how that now translates into a legit interest in going after the player on a new season, without the flexibility of TWO expiring contracts and the player in FULL control of where he wants to be for the next years.

But hey, who cares, we googled "Phoenix Suns" and that Gasol guy came up, let's put him on our column as a posibility... they should include that we want Kobe Bryant, since we contacted him during his last free agent period.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Suns trading away Goran Dragic, possibly to the Pacers? Not so fast, says a source with knowledge of the talks. “No, no, no,” the source said. “Nothing to that. The team and Goran, they’re still committed to each other.” According to an ESPN report, the Pacers — looking to upgrade at point guard — have engaged the Suns in talks about a possible deal that would send Dragic to Indiana. Consider those talks to be decidedly one-sided. Sporting News - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors/tag/phoenix ... Gafdb.dpuf
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Superbone wrote:
Suns trading away Goran Dragic, possibly to the Pacers? Not so fast, says a source with knowledge of the talks. “No, no, no,” the source said. “Nothing to that. The team and Goran, they’re still committed to each other.” According to an ESPN report, the Pacers — looking to upgrade at point guard — have engaged the Suns in talks about a possible deal that would send Dragic to Indiana. Consider those talks to be decidedly one-sided. Sporting News - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors/tag/phoenix ... Gafdb.dpuf
I pray the above is true.....

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Where do I sign for a petition to get this on stone writing?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I will be devestated if Dragic leaves this team in any trade.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

I think the Suns FO isn't giving out as much information as NBA writers are used to getting so there's more speculation than usual (maybe fuelled by other teams and agents). I like that we are playing our cards close to our chest and am not reading much into what's being written at all.

Now for some speculation of my own. Reading between the lines (some of the stuff coming out of Miami and the lack of chatter about Bledsoe, who shares the same agent) I wouldn't be surprised if we've gone from virtually no chance of getting LeBron to being told that we're at least in the ball game.

edit: I still don't think we're a good chance of getting LeBron as such. Maybe 5 per cent or so. Just enough to hold off doing anything else til we know for sure.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Sarver in Cleveland today, Bobby thinks he's got a shot.

TOO

Post by TOO »

https://twitter.com/RealGM/status/484854902208741377

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

Makes sense with how quiet we've been on other fronts. Interesting times.

TOO

Post by TOO »

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/484859818830618625

Go nuts.

Robot

Post by Robot »

It makes me uncomfortable to think Sarver is the one representing the Suns even though it makes sense business wise - basketball wise - it seems rather un-compelling.

I think the idea of stars like LeBron signing for for 2 years rather than 5 actually makes sense to a degree. It maximizes a window and also keeps both team and player more flexible. The idea of sticking with a team for 'the long haul' is an old school idea that like it or hate it doesn't work anymore -- the same is true for team ownership to players. A team will jettison a player at the drop of a hat, loyalty be damned 90% of the time if an opportunity exists. So, if Bron signed for 2 years at a max deal with Phx - I would be into that. We would have two years and then we could all re-evaluate.

-R