Around the league: June 2014

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Ring_Wanted

Re: Around the league: June 2014

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Shabazz wrote:I've been in favor of sitting out this free agent market and improving through trades for a while.
My mindset has always been: keep Bledsoe if the doctors ok it, keep Frye (hopefully at a discount), keep Tucker (at reasonable money) and go after Hayward with 12-13M per (assuming Love-LeBron etc are out of reach).

The thing is that there is hemorrhage of money going on and none of those goals seem realistic anymore. But if you just stand pat and say, only sign Bledsoe, the team as a whole probably doesn't improve, and it is possible that others like Denver or New Orleans take advantage of it, putting us back in the purgatorium W/L wise. Meanwhile, the cap space erodes and by next summer it could totally shrink. If Goran is to get a new deal, that's it.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Giving Hayward more than 10mil is a waste.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Probably a waste of 2-4M per season. But it is what it is. There are rumors of a max offer from the Cavs, so go figure.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

That's how teams get caught in bad contracts and handcuff themselves for the next 3 years. If you're a team with an owner that can pay, go for it. We're not one of those teams.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:SERIOUSLY?! 6M per for Patterson? Christ.

When did you switch to the Jack Nicholson avatar?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:I've been in favor of sitting out this free agent market and improving through trades for a while. Unless we can get LeBron.
Works for me.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:Giving Hayward more than 10mil is a waste.
It doesn't matter. The Jazz will match.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
[ Image ]

:lol:

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Superbone wrote:
[ Image ]

:lol:
I don't remember him having a bowl cut though.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

I can see nothing but Jack now when I look at it.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

ShelC wrote:That's how teams get caught in bad contracts and handcuff themselves for the next 3 years. If you're a team with an owner that can pay, go for it. We're not one of those teams.
Yeah, yeah, I'm aware of the first part. But we also need to aknowledge that you need to win to be on the map. We sound as a darkhorse to LeBron, only because we won and played really well last season and came two games short of making the playoffs (I bet we'd sound even stronger if we had made them, tbw). Not being naive, they are in the race, and not many can say that.

And it doesn't need to be LeBron. If you don't get him you are in for the next tier, assuming you pay what it is worth. And it is always going to sound like insanity to us. We can discuss if Hayward belongs there, or any other free agent. The point is that in this cainistic environment you have to improve. Or you have to get worse. Enough worse. As a fan I don't like it but I can tolerate it. But as a business? I believe it makes more sense trying to ride the wave, since we finally have created one. Because in the end everything comes with a risk. Suck too bad too long. Spend too much too soon. Pse. For once I agree with something CBA. At least today it is not 6-7 years, even 5-6.

Make 4 years plan. Suck. Gather assets. Find any worthy piece you can. Clean cap space. Consolide assets. Use cap space. Patch stuff after you are capped out. Don't go beyond X limit unless it is (insert degree of owner resistance against the L-tax). But never, absolutely ever under any circumstance, waste draft picks. Go as far as you can. And like you say, rinse, repeat.

We are in phase 4-5.

Fuck them. We are the Phoenix Suns. 'We rebirthtm'. Go for it.

Riiiiiiiiiide the Dragooooooooooooon.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I can see nothing but Jack now when I look at it.
"You can't handle the truth!"

:D

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Sounds like you're advocating signing a guy just to make a move because we have money to spend and because he's regarded as that next tier of FA so he's deserving of X amount of money. I'd rather not go that route. Just a difference of opinion. I, personally, don't think you're going to be a contending team with Hayward as your 1st or 2nd best player and paying him as such. Maybe he'll prove me wrong.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Hayward is what Mike Miller was in his prime, uber role player that gives you everything, I'd pay him Batum money to be our starting SF, he does pretty much everything well.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The Raptors traded Steve Novak to the Jazz to free up money for Grevis. Looks like the raps will re-sign him for 4.5 over 2-3 years.

TOO

Post by TOO »

So youre gonna tell me that Ben Gordon and Vasquez are worth the same? :D

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

ShelC wrote:Sounds like you're advocating signing a guy just to make a move because we have money to spend and because he's regarded as that next tier of FA so he's deserving of X amount of money. I'd rather not go that route. Just a difference of opinion. I, personally, don't think you're going to be a contending team with Hayward as your 1st or 2nd best player and paying him as such. Maybe he'll prove me wrong.
He'd serve greatly as a 3rd option. That's what I believe. TOO nailed his assertion of what I think Hayward can become for the Suns, just better than Miller. And truth be told, I love the way he plays. Others could make the case for this role, too. Parsons as you pointed.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
ShelC wrote:Sounds like you're advocating signing a guy just to make a move because we have money to spend and because he's regarded as that next tier of FA so he's deserving of X amount of money. I'd rather not go that route. Just a difference of opinion. I, personally, don't think you're going to be a contending team with Hayward as your 1st or 2nd best player and paying him as such. Maybe he'll prove me wrong.
He'd serve greatly as a 3rd option. That's what I believe. TOO nailed his assertion of what I think Hayward can become for the Suns, just better than Miller. And truth be told, I love the way he plays. Others could make the case for this role, too. Parsons as you pointed.
I wouldn't mind either of those guys on the Suns either but I just don't think it'll happen. They're restricted and their teams will match. I'm fine with waiting and going the trade route. Maybe Love will be more receptive after our run at LeBron.

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

@WojYahooNBA: Free agent Spencer Hawes has reached agreement on a four-year, $23M deal with the Los Angeles Clippers, league sources tell Yahoo.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

4 years 23 mil? More like 6mil per.