Around the league: June 2014

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
SwingMan

Re: Around the league: June 2014

Post by SwingMan »

Mori Chu wrote:I am not trying to favor or bury any particular political opinion here, but as I said a day or two ago, let's give it a rest with the political stuff in these NBA threads. Go post about it in the General area all you want. We already saw that chart about "worst presidents," and we don't need to call out Spencer Hawes on his politics, and we don't need to ask other posters if they liked Obama or W. Bush. It never ends well and I just don't want to read that stuff in these threads that are supposed to be about the NBA offseason.
Nice save, Mori. ;) You're a damn site more diplomatic than I could ever be.

'Bone, just remember that perceived logic goes both ways - be sure to thank Mori via here or PM soon.....

Robot

Post by Robot »

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-bas ... llion-deal
"I will only play for the team if they reflect the values of the previous years. Doc Rivers is a good coach but there is something about him I just don't trust" said Hawes from his vacation home. "
Last point. I agree we should not talk politics but the problem I have with Spencer Hawes -- his viewpoints are so sophomoric and laden with hot point ticking time bomb bull @hit I can't take them seriously. A man who just listens to the radio and watches his favorite talk shows and does not think and make nuanced arguments is one who does not deserve to be respected for any political point of view. That is the issue, it's not conservative vs liberal - neither party is reflective of anything anymore, they are voids.

http://dimemag.com/2014/02/sixers-forwa ... let-paper/

I'm glad the Suns didn't sign this dude not because he's conservative because he's clearly a moron based on the presentation of his ideology not because what he believes .

- R

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:I am not trying to favor or bury any particular political opinion here, but as I said a day or two ago, let's give it a rest with the political stuff in these NBA threads. Go post about it in the General area all you want. We already saw that chart about "worst presidents," and we don't need to call out Spencer Hawes on his politics, and we don't need to ask other posters if they liked Obama or W. Bush. It never ends well and I just don't want to read that stuff in these threads that are supposed to be about the NBA offseason.
Agreed. I'm just glad we didn't sign the dude. I'd rather have Frye between the two as he is already an established leader in the clubhouse. However, it's very possible we don't retain Frye either as I know there are a few teams hot and heavy for him.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Robot wrote:http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-bas ... llion-deal
"I will only play for the team if they reflect the values of the previous years. Doc Rivers is a good coach but there is something about him I just don't trust" said Hawes from his vacation home. "
A man who just listens to the radio and watches his favorite talk shows and does not think and make nuanced arguments is one who does not deserve to be respected for any political point of view. That is the issue, it's not conservative vs liberal - neither party is reflective of anything anymore, they are voids.

I'm glad the Suns didn't sign this dude not because he's conservative because he's clearly a moron based on the presentation of his ideology not because what he believes .

- R
THIS

And I would dare to say that it's a more common conduct that we think. Therefore I would push for a harder cap on bringing politics out of the General Folder.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Robot wrote:http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-bas ... llion-deal
A man who just listens to the radio and watches his favorite talk shows and does not think and make nuanced arguments is one who does not deserve to be respected for any political point of view. That is the issue, it's not conservative vs liberal - neither party is reflective of anything anymore, they are voids.

- R
THIS

And I would dare to say that it's a more common conduct that we think. Therefore I would push for a harder cap on bringing politics out of the General Folder.
Just so you know AS - the quote Robot highlighted above is his own.....

carey

Post by carey »

Btw, all I said was I'd pass on signing the guy since he's a douche bag because of the toilet paper thing. Y'all ran with it on your own.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

carey wrote:Btw, all I said was I'd pass on signing the guy since he's a douche bag because of the toilet paper thing. Y'all ran with it on your own.
Way to cover your own ass - bravo.....

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Robot wrote: A man who just listens to the radio and watches his favorite talk shows and does not think and make nuanced arguments is one who does not deserve to be respected for any political point of view. That is the issue, it's not conservative vs liberal - neither party is reflective of anything anymore, they are voids.
- R
THIS

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There, FIXED

You were right Swing, it looked like I was referring to Robot's point of view toward Hawes, while I was talking on a broader manner.

carey

Post by carey »

Rockets are preparing an offer sheet of 4/$94Mil for Chris Bosh which is an absurd contract for the player he is currently. I hope the Rox are ready to pay deep into the LT or they won't be able to keep Parsons. I'd throw $10M/yr at Parsons to see if they let him go. Not sure how they can pay him with Howard making $23M next year, Harden making $15M, and you're going to give Bosh $21M also? That's $59M on 3 guys. You can't then give Parsons $10M. You're practically to the tax on 4 guys that way.

I actually kind of like Bledsoe-Dragic-Parsons-Kieff-Plumlee with a bench of just scrappy young guys Ennis-Goodwin-Green/Warren-Marcus-Len. That looks like a fun team to me. Certainly not championship caliber, but they'd still retain some flexibility. That Lakers pick looks like gold right now and could be very valuable in a mid-season deal should someone suddenly become available.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

For all the talk about Morey's genius of acquiring assets through the draft and FA to use in trades for superstars, he hasn't done a whole lot with those assets. Sure he got Harden, but he signed Howard outright as a FA and now has to unload Lin to free up more capspace (which will most likely cost him a 1st rounder) and has already unloaded Asik (another asset he thought he'd flip for Howard) in order to sign another FA.

What does this all mean? For all those assets, you still need two things: a willing trade partner and a player who wants to play for your team. We can probably put together one of the more attractive packages (Morris Bros, draft picks, maybe Plumlee/Len, Green) for Love but if he won't sign an extension here, what's the use?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It's a tricky balance. At the other end of the spectrum you have the Lakers who are all cap room and no players/assets. And nobody wants to go there, either. We are a lucky team in that we have several good players and a good coach and training staff, but we also have space to sign a big free agent if we want to.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Last thing that was heard was that Love would sign an extension with the Suns.

Also, I wouldn't expect too much from the Lakers pick.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:Rockets are preparing an offer sheet of 4/$94Mil for Chris Bosh which is an absurd contract for the player he is currently. I hope the Rox are ready to pay deep into the LT or they won't be able to keep Parsons. I'd throw $10M/yr at Parsons to see if they let him go. Not sure how they can pay him with Howard making $23M next year, Harden making $15M, and you're going to give Bosh $21M also? That's $59M on 3 guys. You can't then give Parsons $10M. You're practically to the tax on 4 guys that way.

I actually kind of like Bledsoe-Dragic-Parsons-Kieff-Plumlee with a bench of just scrappy young guys Ennis-Goodwin-Green/Warren-Marcus-Len. That looks like a fun team to me. Certainly not championship caliber, but they'd still retain some flexibility. That Lakers pick looks like gold right now and could be very valuable in a mid-season deal should someone suddenly become available.
Sounds good to me! That would be a dang nice FA pickup while still keeping some flexibility. Sign back our FAs and then call it a day.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

SDC

Post by SDC »

seriously, everybody knows quality free agent not only dont want to sign with the lakers for the next two years, but also no quality coach wants to coach the lakers for the next 2 years.

why dont the lakers just rehire mike brown? they're still paying his salary, right?

or a better idea... why not kobe as player coach?

dragickingdom

Post by dragickingdom »

SDC wrote:or a better idea... why not kobe as player coach?
That's a terrible idea, but I would watch a few games just to see the train wreck. I think Nash would be better suited to coach then Kobe since it's possible Nash may not even play another minute for the Lakers next year.

SDC

Post by SDC »

dragickingdom wrote:
SDC wrote:or a better idea... why not kobe as player coach?
That's a terrible idea, but I would watch a few games just to see the train wreck.
says you. it would be a solid move by the lakers.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I heard it's against the rules, for a player to also coach now. I don't know if that's true, but I read that on the LA Times when the talk started.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

It's true.

Robot

Post by Robot »

SwingMan wrote:
Obviously Swing . I'm sure everyone knows me by now.

- R

dragickingdom

Post by dragickingdom »

Robot wrote:
SwingMan wrote:
Obviously Swing . I'm sure everyone knows me by now.

- R
Every time I see one of your articles...I picture an Ewok writing it and it makes me chuckle.