SUNS 2014: Free Agency 2 (new)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: SUNS 2014: Free Agency 2 (new)

Post by Superbone »

I don't know if anybody has posted it yet but the Suns live press conference is live now on suns.com:

http://www.nba.com/suns/suns-now
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Thanks, Bone!

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Ring_Wanted wrote:let alone when being compared to Bledsoe or taking his minutes.
That's another story all together. I never claimed that Thomas was as good defensively. I'm just contesting your assertion that he's terrible.

Bledsoe is better defensively, but not to the extent that it makes me want to keep him at $12 mil/yr. If Bledsoe lived up to his lockdown defender hype that he had when the Suns acquired, sure, then it would be a different story.

And it's interesting that you're arguing the defensive advantage of Bledsoe, but when the two went head to head, Bledsoe fell asleep or got lost on screens several times trying to defend Thomas. Both ended up with huge scoring games, but if I'm paying Bledsoe anywhere close to what he's asking for, I'm going to need him to make more a defensive impact then letting a player like Isaiah Thomas go off for 29 points on over 50% shooting.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

I'd love to hear lon babby read an audio book!

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

R_W is Jeff Hornacek!
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:R_W is Jeff Hornacek!
I often wondered if there were some in the FO that were masquerading as posters. :D
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Stephen A. Smith does not merit any attention or analysis. He's a clown.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
INFORMER wrote:R_W is Jeff Hornacek!
I often wondered if there were some in the FO that were masquerading as posters. :D
I used to wonder that about the old phxsuns.net. I don't think anybody from the team management browses here. At the most, they may have some staffer intern or something who browses occasionally. But I doubt anybody we've ever heard of who is associated with the Suns would post here. We're still too small-potatoes for that.

(Unless of course you count The Gorilla, who has been posting here under the name "INFORMER" since the beginning.)

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Sunsfan4life wrote:Is anyone watching first take right now? I have off Mondays in the summer, so I am listening to Stephen A. Smith. Just said if Gordon Hayward got 4/63 Eric Bledsoe absolutely deserves the Max. Says the Suns by signing Isaiah Thomas don't want to pay him, he wants the Lakers to make a S&T For him...says he absolutely is worth it.

Oh and also said if he was Flip Saunders and the Wolves and was offered Andrew Wiggins,Anthony Bennet and a 1st he absolutely WOULD NOT do it.

Wow...not sure how much more you can get for love then that

He's sucha tool...like a gigantic off the base tool....
I think what Smith is missing is that players of size, like forwards and centers, are much more in demand than guards. Haywood and Parsons got overpaid because they have size and can shoot. I like Bledsoe a lot, but to get the max, you need to be like a top 3 guard and show you can stay healthy over a whole season.
The main issue I see with him is durability. If he was healthy all of last yr he'd have a much stronger case of being maxed out. Also, As many have said Parsons and Hayward were overpaid by teams in different situations then us. Utah has to overpay, because they struggle to get talent to come to...well....Utah and Dallas has a guy who should be making what Parsons is making making 10mil a yr on a big discount.

Smith has such an agenda sometimes...well most times. Actually they discussed the topic on the show with Beadle and Marcellus Wiley (cant think of the name) today and Wiley had a great take. Saying no way he gives up randle for Bledsoe, cause eric hasn't proven he can handle a full 82 games yet in his short career.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Things that almost never, ever happen: Trading small for big when the big is obviously a very talented impact player (even potentially), and getting better than $0.50 on the $1.00 in a sign-and-trade.

I believe the Suns would be on the better side of both of those feats with the discussed Lakers deal. To me, this also means it's not likely to happen, unfortunately.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The Lakers have Jim "Fredo" Buss running their org, and an impatient fan base that wants results yesterday. Anything could happen. I'd be delighted to fleece them for a bunch of good assets in exchange for Bledsoe.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Fair point. It's nice to have the upper hand on the Lakers in the front office/management department for once. Although, SDC would probably disagree. :D #mcdoOUT
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

I'd love to see Bledsoe and Dragic together all year but there's no promise to that even if we sign him long term. I'd like to have Bledsoe long term but he's not a max guy to me yet so if we have the change to get Randle I think we should do it. Albeit not a good defender,Gerald Green is still good at basketball remember.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

TOO

Post by TOO »

djy2j wrote:I'd love to see Bledsoe and Dragic together all year but there's no promise to that even if we sign him long term. I'd like to have Bledsoe long term but he's not a max guy to me yet so if we have the change to get Randle I think we should do it. Albeit not a good defender,Gerald Green is still good at basketball remember.
Sometimes he is anyway, not gonna forget 5 underwhelming years.

Cap

Post by Cap »

INFORMER wrote:I wish the front office was wasting time with him and would just sign and trade him already.
In order to do that, you have to find another team willing to not only give him 80/5, but trade assets for the opportunity to do so. He isn't going anywhere until he comes back to Earth.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Cap wrote:
INFORMER wrote:I wish the front office was wasting time with him and would just sign and trade him already.
In order to do that, you have to find another team willing to not only give him 80/5, but trade assets for the opportunity to do so. He isn't going anywhere until he comes back to Earth.

Agreed. It takes 2 to tango, as far we know nobody has offered Eric anything yet. I haven't heard of any team meeting with him.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Nobody can tango with Bledsoe to the tune of 5/80M!!! 4/60+ is the most anyone but the Suns can pay!

Cap

Post by Cap »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Nobody can tango with Bledsoe to the tune of 5/80M!!!
We're talking about S&T, in which case they can, if they're willing to trade assets for the privilege.
4/60+ is the most anyone but the Suns can pay!
Which teams are in a position to do that?

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Cap wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:Nobody can tango with Bledsoe to the tune of 5/80M!!!
We're talking about S&T, in which case they can, if they're willing to trade assets for the privilege.
The 2011 CBA doesn't allow other teams anymore to offer more than what they could as a plain free agent. One of the measures to allegedly keep talent on lesser markets, if you will.
4/60+ is the most anyone but the Suns can pay!
Cap wrote:Which teams are in a position to do that?
Any team that either has the cap space (only the 76rs, I guess) or can convince the Suns and Bledsoe to pull a sign and trade, due to assets and money, of course.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Mori Chu wrote:The Lakers have Jim "Fredo" Buss running their org, and an impatient fan base that wants results yesterday. Anything could happen. I'd be delighted to fleece them for a bunch of good assets in exchange for Bledsoe.
Fredo. Awesome, Mori. Carlo ran away to NYC, though.

I could totally see that scenario. Randle is not a favorite of mine but you have to take him and run.