Suns News: Week 14 1/26-1/31

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Suns News: Week 14 1/26-1/31

Post by Mori Chu »

As for Archie, I do want to keep giving him big minutes, and despite all my negative comments and links, I haven't totally given up on him. I just don't think I would want to trade Bledsoe+Knight and immediately hand the car keys over to him. I think I would be fine with a Bledsoe+Booker starting backcourt with Archie being the first guard off the bench.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Why are we talking about Archie as a PG? It's totally clear he is not one. We have a slashing SG with a number of limitations, but still time to figure things out career wise. There is a niche for him out there, but the issue in Phoenix is the guard logjam and his expiring rookie contract, which could mean his future is elsewhere. If I were him, I'd work my ass off to become a factor on defense to go along with my driving game. That alone gives him time to develop a 33% spot up 3pt shot on low volume.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Why are we talking about Archie as a PG? It's totally clear he is not one. We have a slashing SG with a number of limitations, but still time to figure things out career wise. There is a niche for him out there, but the issue in Phoenix is the guard logjam and his expiring rookie contract, which could mean his future is elsewhere. If I were him, I'd work my ass off to become a factor on defense to go along with my driving game. That alone gives him time to develop a 33% spot up 3pt shot on low volume.
We are talking about him as a PG because he plays PG, and because he can't shoot. If he could shoot, he'd be a candidate to be an SG, but he can't. His ball-handling, driving, and (to a lesser degree) his passing are much better than his shooting, so he's stuck at PG.

I think the main reason I'm so down on Archie is that I don't see the seeds of him being great at either the PG or SG position. If he were bound to be a great PG, he ought to be better at seeing the floor and passing by now rather than just bulling to the basket every time. If he were bound to be a great SG, he ought to be able to shoot. And if he's to be great at either position, he needs to be a strong defender, which he basically isn't.

I've just seen enough of these "combo" guards who are not very good at either guard position. Very rare is there a TRUE combo guard who is actually pretty decent at both. Archie is not really very good at either. He's got a talent for attacking the basket, which is something, but it's not nearly enough.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Archie is not a PG. He just isn't. His shooting has improved (hard not to from god awful) but he has a long way to go. I'm rooting for the guy but I don't personally have a lot of confidence that he's going to get to where he needs to get to to be a competent NBA player. We'll see.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:Why are we talking about Archie as a PG? It's totally clear he is not one. We have a slashing SG with a number of limitations, but still time to figure things out career wise. There is a niche for him out there, but the issue in Phoenix is the guard logjam and his expiring rookie contract, which could mean his future is elsewhere. If I were him, I'd work my ass off to become a factor on defense to go along with my driving game. That alone gives him time to develop a 33% spot up 3pt shot on low volume.
We are talking about him as a PG because he plays PG, and because he can't shoot. If he could shoot, he'd be a candidate to be an SG, but he can't. His ball-handling, driving, and (to a lesser degree) his passing are much better than his shooting, so he's stuck at PG.

I think the main reason I'm so down on Archie is that I don't see the seeds of him being great at either the PG or SG position. If he were bound to be a great PG, he ought to be better at seeing the floor and passing by now rather than just bulling to the basket every time. If he were bound to be a great SG, he ought to be able to shoot. And if he's to be great at either position, he needs to be a strong defender, which he basically isn't.

I've just seen enough of these "combo" guards who are not very good at either guard position. Very rare is there a TRUE combo guard who is actually pretty decent at both. Archie is not really very good at either. He's got a talent for attacking the basket, which is something, but it's not nearly enough.
We don't have a potentially great PG or SG in anyone on the team outside of Booker. But for some reason the guy on the rookie contract that is still 21 gets more hate than our $170M backcourt. Weird.

EDC

Post by EDC »

I dunno about that. There are plenty of people very unhappy with Bledsoe and Knight. :)

Cap

Post by Cap »

Yeah, the only reason Archie is getting more hate than Bledsoe and AASE lately is that the latter haven't been playing.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Mori Chu wrote:
SwingMan wrote:With all due respect Mori, please go back to your "safe zone" or ban me, then.

You've got the balls to enforce double standards here, yet whine about "abrasiveness"?

When I see bullshit, I call it out, here and elsewhere. I'm blunt and generally concise - that's not abrasiveness, that's Mori "thug is the new 'N' word" Chu being overly sensitive. And it's still a damn site better than I've been treated here politically in the past, so please spare me the whining, alright?
As you wish. Banned.
And this type of shit is why I will never post here about Suns basketball ever again. Petty, petty bullshit. Tone and emoticons are now against board rules? Or is it just personal prejudice and grudges on full display. Certain people are singled out to be piled on and ridiculed at a much higher rate then the rest of the board, and its always been this way.

Mori, you are definitely no Sose.

*ready for the ban*.

carey

Post by carey »

Phoenix219 wrote:And this type of shit is why I will never post here about Suns basketball ever again. Petty, petty bullshit. Tone and emoticons are now against board rules? Or is it just personal prejudice and grudges on full display. Certain people are singled out to be piled on and ridiculed at a much higher rate then the rest of the board, and its always been this way.

*ready for the ban*.
For what it's worth, I like you and value you as a poster. But if you can't see that Swingman is constantly condescending to absolutely anyone that disagrees with him then I don't know what to tell you. You may be overlooking that he was asked many times in public and private to try and tone it down but he basically told us all to take a hike. I'd rather have a place to talk Suns basketball where we can agree or disagree without the petty b.s. Swing seems to specialize in. When OE and I disagreed recently that was it. We knew each other's argument would be born out by the team's play and one would be proven right. That's never quite enough for Swingman though, is it?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Phoenix219 wrote:And this type of shit is why I will never post here about Suns basketball ever again. Petty, petty bullshit. Tone and emoticons are now against board rules? Or is it just personal prejudice and grudges on full display. Certain people are singled out to be piled on and ridiculed at a much higher rate then the rest of the board, and its always been this way.

*ready for the ban*.
The decision I've made about how to run this site is to have some expectation of mutual respect and decorum. If what people want is a "Wild West" board with almost no moderation and few rules, there are plenty of those. I think of this site as a bunch of mostly "old friends" talking Suns. It's less about us hanging out at the local dive bar and more like all of us going over to somebody's house to watch the game and talk Suns. If somebody comes to your house and is rude to you, you ask them to leave or don't invite them back. You can have just about any opinion you want, but you have to express it in a respectful way.

P219: Sorry to hear that you don't like the way the site is run. I wish you would post about hoops here, but if you prefer not to do so, that is your choice. You are not banned from this site and are welcome to post here if you like.

For what it's worth, I told SwingMan that if he apologizes then I would be happy to have him back on the site in one week. I do believe in the idea of personal growth and in giving people chances to make amends. If he wants to come back I'd be delighted to have him here, and I've told him that. I like the dude; he's a true blooded Suns diehard, and I would prefer to have him here.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

I have no dog in this fight, but Mori does a fine job. You're never going to please everyone. I'm sure people would gripe if he didn't set certain rules. Keep up the good work boss.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

On the Archie front. I root for Goodwin. I totally agree with Ring in that I don't like him as a PG. Seems like a good kid, but if he had to be included in a package at the deadline I wouldn't shed tears. I hold Len,Booker and Warren in higher regard. That being said I'm not advocating giving him away and don't see him as being any sort of problem child or what not. If's friends with Morris so be it. I'm friends with some people that others think are slackers, doesn't make me one.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Indy

Post by Indy »

Sunsfan4life wrote:On the Archie front. I root for Goodwin. I totally agree with Ring in that I don't like him as a PG. Seems like a good kid, but if he had to be included in a package at the deadline I wouldn't shed tears. I hold Len,Booker and Warren in higher regard. That being said I'm not advocating giving him away and don't see him as being any sort of problem child or what not. If's friends with Morris so be it. I'm friends with some people that others think are slackers, doesn't make me one.
Well said.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Sunsfan4life wrote:I have no dog in this fight, but Mori does a fine job. You're never going to please everyone. I'm sure people would gripe if he didn't set certain rules. Keep up the good work boss.
Agreed. In spades.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:I think of this site as a bunch of mostly "old friends" talking Suns. It's less about us hanging out at the local dive bar and more like all of us going over to somebody's house to watch the game and talk Suns. If somebody comes to your house and is rude to you, you ask them to leave or don't invite them back. You can have just about any opinion you want, but you have to express it in a respectful way.
I like the metaphor a lot.

carey

Post by carey »

https://twitter.com/paulcoro/status/694027339898843136

Booker is going to the 3-point contest.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

The decision I've made about how to run this site is to have some expectation of mutual respect and decorum.

For what it's worth, I told SwingMan that if he apologizes then I would be happy to have him back on the site in one week. I do believe in the idea of personal growth and in giving people chances to make amends. If he wants to come back I'd be delighted to have him here, and I've told him that. I like the dude; he's a true blooded Suns diehard, and I would prefer to have him here.
Well said.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

My suggestion: only post when sober.

pickle

Post by pickle »

So how does Archie's game compare to DeRozan in the earlier stages of his career?

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

http://sports.espn.go.com/blog/dallas/m ... -standings
Chandler talking about his role in mentoring young Suns, saying he's in it for the long haul.
“I’m not jumping ship,” Chandler said before putting up 12 points and 13 rebounds in the Suns’ 91-78 loss to the Mavs. “If the organization decides to move me or something like that, then clearly that’s something that’s out of my control. But I came here and I came here for a reason.

“I thought it was a young, promising team, and I wanted to be a part of helping turn this around and go to the next level. I still feel like I’m capable of doing that, and I feel like this organization is capable of doing that. It’s just clearly some things have to change.”