2018 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Split T wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Split T wrote:Ya I think love is the most likely big name guy for us to target. Possibly Kemba
Gross.
Gross to both?

I think a Payton/Booker/Jackson/Love/Ayton lineup makes a lot of sense. That's a playoff contender
I don’t know. I don’t think any lineup can have both Payton and Jackson. I don’t think we can run a starting lineup where 2 of the 3 perimeter players can’t shoot from 3.

It’s why I don’t want to resign Payton.
That's a reasonable concern but I don't think it's as big a deal if both our big men can shoot. Granted, this is assuming Aytons shot translates immediately. And Payton isn't a non shooter, he is at least an average spot up guy.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I wouldn't count on Ayton to be a 3pt threat right away. He doesn't shoot many in college (about 0.5 per game over the last 18 games), and he really takes his time shooting it. I don't think he'll shoot it from NBA range with a defender anywhere near him until he spends an off-season working on it.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya I didn't necessarily mean 3 pt shooting, but I think he could have a nice stroke from 18 feet

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

fair enough

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:
Split T wrote:Ya I think love is the most likely big name guy for us to target. Possibly Kemba
Gross.
Gross to both?

I think a Payton/Booker/Jackson/Love/Ayton lineup makes a lot of sense. That's a playoff contender
Gross to Kemba, Love here would make an immediate difference in how well the offense functions, Kemba would just be another score 1st PG, zero interest in that.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Actually, I'll eat a little crow on my last statements. Just a little, mind you!

Here he is with the most comfortable shooting I've seen from him this year:

[youtube][/youtube]

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Gross.
Gross to both?

Gross to Kemba, Love here would make an immediate difference in how well the offense functions, Kemba would just be another score 1st PG, zero interest in that.

I don’t know. If we could pull off a Walker/Booker/Jackson/Love/Ayton lineup, I’d be pretty happy with that.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Split T wrote:
Gross.
Gross to both?

That's fair. I like Kemba, but I don't think he does a ton for us. Love would be a nice fit.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Split T wrote:
Gross.
Gross to both?

I don’t know. If we could pull off a Walker/Booker/Jackson/Love/Ayton lineup, I’d be pretty happy with that.
That would be quite the haul and a pretty fun team, but I can't see how we land Walker and love

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

specialsauce wrote:
I'm arriving at the conclusion as well. His distributing is nice, and he can stuff the stat sheet, but his lack of 3-point shooting and his inability to defend really makes investing substantial money in him a non-starter for me.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

INFORMER wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
I'm arriving at the conclusion as well. His distributing is nice, and he can stuff the stat sheet, but his lack of 3-point shooting and his inability to defend really makes investing substantial money in him a non-starter for me.
Agreed.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

specialsauce wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Agreed.
Building a basketball team is rarely around finding 12 perfect players, it is more often about finding pieces that fit together well. And the Suns have multiple holes to fill. Why can't the Suns simply tell Payton that they'll match an RFA contract or offer something along the lines of MLE or a bit higher -- provided that he cut his hair to a reasonable length (which would presumably improve his 3p%)?

Despite his limitations, I'd much rather have Payton at 12 mil than Bledsoe even at the same price. I'm tired of chucker PGs and my first and foremost priority is one that plays pass-first. I'm not sure what pass-first PGs are even available except for Doncic at 1/2.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

virtual9mm wrote:I'd much rather have Payton at 12 mil than Bledsoe even at the same price.
That's a no brainer. The question is if we can get somebody better. I do agree that for Payton to become a better shooter, he's going to have to cut that hair and work on his shot. It needs more arc.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Superbone wrote:
virtual9mm wrote:I'd much rather have Payton at 12 mil than Bledsoe even at the same price.
That's a no brainer. The question is if we can get somebody better. I do agree that for Payton to become a better shooter, he's going to have to cut that hair and work on his shot. It needs more arc.
I don't see anyone else who's (1) a pass-first PG + (2) young + (3) someone that the Suns could sign that is substantially better in the FA list. Really, the only option is Doncic to me.

Split T

Post by Split T »

virtual9mm wrote:
Superbone wrote:
I don't see anyone else who's (1) a pass-first PG + (2) young + (3) someone that the Suns could sign that is substantially better in the FA list. Really, the only option is Doncic to me.
Don't forget about Brandon Knight ;)

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
Like you guys said, it's just a mater of finding someone better or getting him on a reasonable enough contract.

Cutting his hair would help in every aspect of the game, because he would be able to SEE.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
virtual9mm wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Don't forget about Brandon Knight ;)
We're trying to.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

While JJJ and Trae are dropping on people's draft boards, Mikal just keeps getting better.

[youtube][/youtube]

Cap

Post by Cap »

Everybody keeps saying Payton needs to cut his hair. Would it be possible to somehow tie it back during games so he doesn't have to cut it?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Cap wrote:Everybody keeps saying Payton needs to cut his hair. Would it be possible to somehow tie it back during games so he doesn't have to cut it?
You would have to ask a physicist. I'm not qualified to predict the behavior of that phenomenon.