2019 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Shabazz

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Shabazz »

In2ition wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 5:20 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 5:06 pm
I'm so underwhelmed by Coby White. He just screams BACKUP to me. He's got good size, but does he have one plus skill? I'd much rather roll the dice on Garland, who's a high-level shooter from day 1.

I hate this draft.
I kind of feel the same way. I just think there will be much better PGs next year. Feels like a McD move to me(picking a crap position in the draft because it's a need).
Yup. There are better candidates available via trade and free agency. I'm also not in any rush to find our "PG of the future," unless a good opportunity presents itself. With a young core set at other positions, we're probably better served having veterans man the position for the foreseeable future. I actually think it's harder to compete if you have all 5 of your "of the future" positions filled at the same time. Too many competing priorities. Too many young players. Teams that want sustainable success should have a healthy mix of young players and vets.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 5:52 pm
In2ition wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
I'm so underwhelmed by Coby White. He just screams BACKUP to me. He's got good size, but does he have one plus skill? I'd much rather roll the dice on Garland, who's a high-level shooter from day 1.

I hate this draft.
I kind of feel the same way. I just think there will be much better PGs next year. Feels like a McD move to me(picking a crap position in the draft because it's a need).
Yup. There are better candidates available via trade and free agency. I'm also not in any rush to find our "PG of the future," unless a good opportunity presents itself. With a young core set at other positions, we're probably better served having veterans man the position for the foreseeable future. I actually think it's harder to compete if you have all 5 of your "of the future" positions filled at the same time. Too many competing priorities. Too many young players. Teams that want sustainable success should have a healthy mix of young players and vets.
THIS
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 5:50 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 4:52 pm
Idk what to think about Gambo reporting that he thinks the Suns will take a PG with the 6th pick if Garland or White are available with White as their favorite. Then he thinks that Joseph will be the target as the vet PG and they will also dump Melton and Okobo. I'm not a fan of these moves and I think there are better options.

Could it work out? Sure I guess it could.

Do I think it will work out? I think the odds are less than other moves.
Did he say this on the radio? Is he just guessing or going off some kind of info?

I’m also not a big Coby White fan. He’s not bad, but like Shabazz said...just feels like a backup.
I've only scouted the draft a little bit. Maybe 10 or 12 players. But my initial impression of White was that he should be one of our top targets at #32.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

So then what good is this #6 pick? Seriously. Should we just trade it? Or just stash a non-need. I can't imagine drafting yet another SF.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 6:39 pm
So then what good is this #6 pick? Seriously. Should we just trade it? Or just stash a non-need. I can't imagine drafting yet another SF.
I’m not super worried, we will probably move on from Warren and Jackson. Culver is probably a 3, but he’s got enough ball handling/defensive ability to be a guard. Hunter is a combo forward who I think is more of a 4. Clarke is a 4. Reddish is a 3, but he also might be big enough to play the 4 and skilled enough to handle the ball and defend guards. Garland is a pg that could be there. So there are options and I’m not super worried about taking any of the wings in this draft.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 5:50 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 4:52 pm
Idk what to think about Gambo reporting that he thinks the Suns will take a PG with the 6th pick if Garland or White are available with White as their favorite. Then he thinks that Joseph will be the target as the vet PG and they will also dump Melton and Okobo. I'm not a fan of these moves and I think there are better options.

Could it work out? Sure I guess it could.

Do I think it will work out? I think the odds are less than other moves.
Did he say this on the radio? Is he just guessing or going off some kind of info?

I’m also not a big Coby White fan. He’s not bad, but like Shabazz said...just feels like a backup.
Yes, he did say these things on the radio today. I think he's guessing though.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 10:08 pm
We’ve had issues with Klutch in the past, but that was all McD..James Jones is buddies with Lebron, I’m sure he’ll be just fine with Klutch.
Shabazz wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 12:02 pm
I don't think it's good business practice to not deal with an agency because our front office is overmatched as negotiators. Isn't that what we're conceding here?

Klutch is trying to do best by their clients. Our management team is (hopefully) acting with the short and long term interest of the franchise in mind. Sometimes feelings get hurt in these negotiations. Let's not be dogmatic or absolutist about dealing with a major agency.
I'm not trying to be a hardliner here. If there is a free agent or draft pick that is head and shoulders above the rest, and we can get him, and he just happens to be represented by Klutch, I wouldn't let that stop me from pursuing him.

But if we're talking about a prospect that isn't clearly better than a number of others, or a middling free agent like a lot of Klutch clients are, it isn't worth the headache. Klutch is unprofessional and unreasonable. It's not worth the headache.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 6:39 pm
I can't imagine drafting yet another SF.
I still see Culver as being very talented and a potential all-star. So I could see us thinking he is too good to pass up. But yeah, I have wing fatigue as well and don't really see the point of drafting one at 6.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:00 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 10:08 pm
We’ve had issues with Klutch in the past, but that was all McD..James Jones is buddies with Lebron, I’m sure he’ll be just fine with Klutch.
Shabazz wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 12:02 pm
I don't think it's good business practice to not deal with an agency because our front office is overmatched as negotiators. Isn't that what we're conceding here?

Klutch is trying to do best by their clients. Our management team is (hopefully) acting with the short and long term interest of the franchise in mind. Sometimes feelings get hurt in these negotiations. Let's not be dogmatic or absolutist about dealing with a major agency.
I'm not trying to be a hardliner here. If there is a free agent or draft pick that is head and shoulders above the rest, and we can get him, and he just happens to be represented by Klutch, I wouldn't let that stop me from pursuing him.

But if we're talking about a prospect that isn't clearly better than a number of others, or a middling free agent like a lot of Klutch clients are, it isn't worth the headache. Klutch is unprofessional and unreasonable. It's not worth the headache.
I agree with this. You avoid using them if you have other good options.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 5:52 pm
In2ition wrote:
Shabazz wrote:

I hate this draft.
This had me thinking quite awhile. I agree with this and think this is why the Suns should target Clarke in this draft. Prioritize a player like Thad Young as the starter and mentor for Clarke to help build the defense with a good vet. Then hope that the Nets get Kyrie and DLo wants to come to Phx. As for Clarke:
1. He's much older than many of the players in the draft and more aligned with the age of the players on the team.
2. He's not the type to be a prima dona, that needs to establish their brand. He's a elite role player type that just contributes to wins, not accolades for himself, so he is not going to have competing priorities.
3. He's also not going to try to via for the #1, 2, or 3rd option on the team or the floor. This is important as they are trying to build around Ayton and Booker and every team needs guys that know their role and place on the team. This team especially. Having a couple guys like this in (Bridges & Clarke) help the rest of the team because they support everyone else and support winning.
4. I think building defense in the front court is a better play than trying to build defense in the backcourt. Having Melton and Bridges out there didn't exactly move the needle of the team defense, but building out the defense in the front court could make the defense of Melton and Bridges, and even Booker stand out more. Having a back line of defense allows the backcourt to jump passes, pressure the 3 pt line and genuinely take chances without the worry that they will blow past them without anyone to protect the rim.
5. Guys like or in the mold of Draymond Green are extremely valuable. I'm not saying he will ultimately become Green good, but he is in that mold, without anger issues.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I don't know anything about any of them, but cool. I assume those are all #32 pick candidates.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Grant Williams is the only one I’d say is a candidate at 32. I’ve never heard of most the other guys...not sure they’ll even be drafted.

According to Sam Vecenie’s big board, they rank:

16 - Grant Williams
Unranked
Last edited by Split T on Thu May 30, 2019 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Grant Williams could go mid-1st round. He's one of those guys that the Spurs will get at #29 and everyone will go "the Spurs have done it again!"

Split T

Post by Split T »

These guys rank 70, 74, 79 and then 3 unranked.

Not exactly a big day of prospects

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Grant Williams is probably the best known name on the list. Undersized PF 6-7 1/2 240 with a 6-10 wingspan. He could make his way into the back end of the 1st round.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Draftniks - What makes Brandon Clarke much better as a prospect than Jordan Bell was?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 10:52 am
Draftniks - What makes Brandon Clarke much better as a prospect than Jordan Bell was?
I'm not really a Draftnik, but I've been advocating for Clarke. Here's my take.
  • I do think Clarke is a role player similar to Bell. Not a star.
  • Bell is playing in the NBA Finals, so most guys would consider that a pretty successful career.
  • Clarke's blocks are on another level from Bell. Bell was a good shotblocker, but Clarke is something else.
  • The advanced stats are crazy for Clarke (for what that's worth). Clarke may turn out to be the statistical anomaly, but Gonzaga was historically better with him on the court than they were without him.
  • That's because his energy and IQ were so central to everything Gonzaga did on both ends of the court. He was college's Ben Wallace.
  • I don't think he will be the NBA's Ben Wallace, but I do think he has the energy/personality to elevate his teammates and the IQ to be in the right place at the right time.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Here's the Dime Drop on Garland.

Do you guys think there is any legitimacy to the rumors that the Lakers will take him and put Lonzo on the Market?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 11:17 am
Here's the Dime Drop on Garland.

Do you guys think there is any legitimacy to the rumors that the Lakers will take him and put Lonzo on the Market?
It could be, but it might take Kyrie or Kemba signing with the Lakers to get them to put him on the market or as part of a trade package for AD or Beal, imo.