Suns News: Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Suns News: Offseason

Post by ShelC »

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I wish Oubre the best. He was an exciting player. I wasn’t that thrilled with his ego but, it made him who he was I guess. When Monte gets fired I bet he praises the Suns and thanks them for the opportunity, not throw in a parting shot at ownership. That’s why Monte is a professional and Oubre is still a kid.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

I think most people have been through enough shit this year to really care about the petty ramblings of millionaires.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

This guy is a fucking joke.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Wally_West wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:53 pm

A lot of funny replies ripping him for being a crap GM. One of the most recent ones was rather harsh.

What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

carey

Post by carey »

McDonough probably wasn't going to get another chance as a GM but he's definitely not if he keeps up that kind of stuff online.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Be careful what you wish for, Kelly. Joe Lacob is just a richer Robert Sarver.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:32 am
Nothing he said is untrue. We all know Sarver is a shitty person and only cares about himself.
I also don't think Sarver is the devil we all say he is. He's pretty charitable from what I've seen. Booker, Larry F, and Monty seem to like him. He must have some redeeming values.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:39 pm
Indy wrote:
Nothing he said is untrue. We all know Sarver is a shitty person and only cares about himself.
I also don't think Sarver is the devil we all say he is. He's pretty charitable from what I've seen. Booker, Larry F, and Monty seem to like him. He must have some redeeming values.
I don't know the guy so I can't say what kind of person he is. We've certainly been fooled by players we thought were good citizens and by players we thought were bad citizens before.

We do know he's a bad owner though.

Andy Rooney once said something that certainly applies in this day and age where anything you say can instantly go viral - “Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.”
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:39 pm
Indy wrote:
$$$

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Robert Sarver fucking sucks but McD trying to clown on James Jones is sad and pathetic.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yeah, plenty of people on twitter are saying he was just clowning Sarver and none of that was directed at Jones. I disagree.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Indy wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:23 pm
Yeah, plenty of people on twitter are saying he was just clowning Sarver and none of that was directed at Jones. I disagree.
Right. The Dillion Brooks and Marshon Brooks bit is a clear shot at James Jones.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Wally_West wrote:

He thinks he’s funny? I’d tell him not to quit his day job, but...

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Cap wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:32 pm
Wally_West wrote:

He thinks he’s funny? I’d tell him not to quit his day job, but...
He’s a loser. His bitterness is embarrassing. And how cute to root on a player for not liking management when every player that left his organization routinely hated McDouche

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Of course Sarver picked him, and he is far from being a steady owner, but seeing how James Jones has managed to deal with him and actually building a team (Jones is also a Sarver hiring, and one widely disliked at firsthand, unlike Ryan) you have to wonder how much fault it’s truly on McD’s shoulders. And of course you can always turn to Sarver as an easy way out of accountability, like Kelly’s recent remarks.

After his recent Twitter rambling, it’s clear that McD was as childish, unprofessional and over-his-head-on their-job, as most of his draft picks, so...

gosuns

Post by gosuns »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:03 pm
Of course Sarver picked him, and he is far from being a steady owner, but seeing how James Jones has managed to deal with him and actually building a team (Jones is also a Sarver hiring, and one widely disliked at firsthand, unlike Ryan) you have to wonder how much fault it’s truly on McD’s shoulders. And of course you can always turn to Sarver as an easy way out of accountability, like Kelly’s recent remarks.

After his recent Twitter rambling, it’s clear that McD was as childish, unprofessional and over-his-head-on their-job, as most of his draft picks, so...
Zero people skills.You only had to hear him talk once to understand that he wasn‘t cut for that job. That Job is more about managing relationships than pure basketball decisions. This also says a lot about the guy who chose him...

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Suns $16 million over the salary cap

Duane Rankin

Arizona Republic USA TODAY NETWORK

Phoenix Suns have done more than make additions this offseason.

They've also done some trading and most recently, subtracting.

Guard Elie Okobo is no longer with the Suns, the team confirmed Monday with The Republic .

Okobo averaged 4.8 points in his two seasons with the Suns after being drafted 31st overall (second round) of the 2018 draft. The 6-3 guard from France showed flashes of good play in Phoenix, but lacked consistency.

The Suns recently added unrestricted free agent Langston Galloway to cap a four-day run in free agency in building what is being viewed as a playoff-caliber roster.

They currently have 14 players counting the ones added in free agency. NBA teams can have 15 on the roster and two two-way players. Current roster: Devin Booker, Chris Paul, Deandre Ayton, Mikal Bridges, Jae Crowder, Cam Johnson, Dario Saric, Jevon Carter, E'Twaun Moore, Jalen Smith (rookie), Langston Galloway, Cameron Payne, Abdel Nader and Damian Jones.

They are $16 million over the salary cap that is set at $109.1 million. Entering free agency, Suns General Manager James Jones said they'd be 'an overthe- cap team.'

Their biggest offseason splash came in a trade last week.

Phoenix dealt Ricky Rubio, Kelly Oubre Jr., Ty Jerome, Jalen Lecque and a future first-round pick to Oklahoma City for Paul, an All-Star veteran point guard and one of the best to ever play the position, and Nader, a reserve forward.

Paul is due $41.3 million this season and $44.2 million next season with a player option.

Phoenix selected Smith with the 10th overall pick out of Maryland in last week's draft. The Suns have followed that up with re-signing restricted free agents Saric and Carter and adding free agents Crowder, Moore, Jones and Galloway.

The Suns signed undrafted rookie Ty-Shon Alexander to a two-way deal as they didn't re-sign Tariq Owens, who was on a two-way deal last season.

Two-way players spend the majority of their time in the G League and can only spend 45 days with the NBA team. The Suns have sold their G League team, Northern Arizona Suns, to the Detroit Pistons, but NAZ is scheduled to play one final season in Arizona before heading to Detroit for the 2021-22 season.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Over the cap but not in the luxury tax? Is that correct?

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:51 am
Over the cap but not in the luxury tax? Is that correct?
Correct. Cap is 109.1, tax is 132.6.