Suns News: Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Suns News: Offseason

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:39 pm
ShelC wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:51 am
Over the cap but not in the luxury tax? Is that correct?
Correct. Cap is 109.1, tax is 132.6.
So, we're at 125 then.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I'd be willing to take a contract that will keep us under the L-tax. Call my agent!
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:07 pm
I'd be willing to take a contract that will keep us under the L-tax. Call my agent!
Same. Maybe we can split that 7.5. I would hit my retirement goal 11 years early!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Just revisiting the mpg since we signed Gallo and Moore...I like the depth now and we should be able to really throw a lot of guys out there who can run, shoot, defend, pass, cut and go at teams in waves. That should be the plan at least and we have the bodies to do it in a shortened season but tough to see where Payne and Carter get minutes if Moore and Gallo come thru with their play. Maybe there are stretches like last season where Carter's hot for a few games and Monty sticks with him, then Payne gets hot and find some minutes. Or Paul sits B2Bs and Monty has one of them start until he finds someone he's comfortable with next to Book. Or maybe Cam or Carter come into camp and just outplay Moore and Gallo and earn their spot in the rotation. It should be fun to watch tho and we should have no problem finding ways to score from the guard position.

Paul - 30
Book - 34
Mikal - 28
Cam - 28
Crowder - 25
Saric - 20
Ayton - 30
Smith - 15
Moore - 15
Galloway - 15

Carter-?
Payne-?
Nader- ?
Jones- ?

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Really don’t know what to expect re: Galloway Carter Payne and Moore. We just resigned Carter to have him sit at the end of the bench?

The backup guard PT is clearly the biggest unknown

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:20 am
Really don’t know what to expect re: Galloway Carter Payne and Moore. We just resigned Carter to have him sit at the end of the bench?

Saric as a Point Center a la Joker!
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

Bucktastic365

Post by Bucktastic365 »

Democritus wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:26 am
specialsauce wrote:

That's actually not a crazy idea. Dario has that ability; albeit against back-up.
Regarding the guard position; we are so interchangeable at this point that I see us going the Patriots route and playing them based on matchups.

I would prioritize youth over the vets tho.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

They’re clearly prepped to weather injury and load mgt in the backcourt. CP3 needs to be fresh af for the playoffs. The rotation will probably be all over the place until it becomes clear what’s the winning combination. I predict, ultimately, Moore will be lower on the depth chart than Carter. Carter will be loved for his 3andD over Moore’s playmaking. Moore will get minutes when Paul get load managed on back to backs. Or in spot duty.
Payne is clearly the odd man out here. I really loved what he brought in the bubble and hoped it would extend into a career situation. But with CP3 here there’s just no time for error, especially in the WCF where the we need to avoid being a 7 or 8th seed.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:21 am
Payne is clearly the odd man out here. I really loved what he brought in the bubble and hoped it would extend into a career situation. But with CP3 here there’s just no time for error, especially in the WCF where the we need to avoid being a 7 or 8th seed.
I don't know. I think he may be our best PG out of all those guys after Paul. I don't know the new guys really well but Carter is definitely no PG on offense.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think they all offer different things, which is nice. Payne is probably the best actual pg of the 4. Carter the best defender. Galloway the best shooter. Moore probably has the best all around game. I think we’ll see all 4 in and out of the rotation as situation dictates. Maybe one of them separates themselves as the clear best 3rd guard, but I’d guess not.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Democritus wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:26 am
specialsauce wrote:

I do think that will be a weapon we develop in camp and throughout the season, as Moore and Galloway seem to have been targeted in FA for their C+S percentages. There probably won't be any one "backup PG" and we may see more of the actual 0.5 offense with the backups passing and cutting than Moore or Payne or Galloway "running offense" for stretches while CP sits. We can also stagger CP and Book a bit as well so one of them is always on the floor.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:53 pm
I think they all offer different things, which is nice. Payne is probably the best actual pg of the 4. Carter the best defender. Galloway the best shooter. Moore probably has the best all around game. I think we’ll see all 4 in and out of the rotation as situation dictates. Maybe one of them separates themselves as the clear best 3rd guard, but I’d guess not.
Yes, good synopsis.

"Be Legendary."

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:29 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:53 pm
Yes, good synopsis.
I would be happy to see Payne earn a legit role as our best playmaker off the bench. He was fun to root for in the bubble. Monty really is tasked with getting the rotation dialed in by mid season. I am sure it’ll work itself out, one way or the other. Gallo is gonna get some real run this year, I’m glad we have this glut at guard. It was so painful to watch the past several years with Book and Bledsoe and all the scrubs in between.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Happy Thanksgiving .net!! This season is gonna kick major ass!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:54 pm
Happy Thanksgiving .net!! This season is gonna kick major ass!
YES! Happy Thanksgiving! Thanks for all the great Suns talk and here's to a great new season!

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Happy Thanksgiving to all! We didn't have a big family gathering this time, so hopefully everybody stayed safe. Excited that Suns/NBA basketball seem to be just around the corner...!

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:21 am
Payne is clearly the odd man out here.
Payne is the only point guard on the roster not named Chris Paul. The Suns have 2 point guards and three undersized shooting guards.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think it’s pretty likely 0 happen.

The west is very deep, I don’t see Ayton getting an all star spot.

CP3 will probably get more assists than last year, but I doubt he’s top 3.

Top 5 in mvp voting seems a bit high for Book.

Crowder is a career 34% 3pt shooter.

Mikal making an all defense team seems the most likely to me. He’s really good and national people have started noticing.

Cam probably comes off the bench. 15/game when we can run 9-10 man rotation seems unlikely.

Dario also isn’t getting 28 minutes unless we have major injuries in the frontcourt.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:07 pm
I think it’s pretty likely 0 happen.

The west is very deep, I don’t see Ayton getting an all star spot.

CP3 will probably get more assists than last year, but I doubt he’s top 3.

Top 5 in mvp voting seems a bit high for Book.

Crowder is a career 34% 3pt shooter.

Mikal making an all defense team seems the most likely to me. He’s really good and national people have started noticing.

Cam probably comes off the bench. 15/game when we can run 9-10 man rotation seems unlikely.

Dario also isn’t getting 28 minutes unless we have major injuries in the frontcourt.
I mostly agree with you. I was thinking that the only one that seemed likely was CP3 ending up top-3 in assists.