NBA Western/Eastern Conference Finals Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Re: NBA Western/Eastern Conference Finals Thread

Post by carey »

Superbone wrote:It was weird. I turned on the TV and it was already on TNT and I saw Ernie, Kenny, Shaq, and Charles sitting there and I thought for sure I heard them say the series was tied up 2-2. I quickly changed the channel as I was going to watch The Preacher with my son before watching the game. I thought they had spoiled it for me. When I finally watched the game, I kept waiting for this miraculous comeback. Needless to say, it never happened.
How old is your son? As a long time fan of the comic I can tell you Preacher probably shouldn't be watched by anyone under 16. The pilot wasn't that bad, a lot of blood, and the language was toned down since it was AMC. There's some... adult ideas and situations coming though.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Nothing would give me more pleasure than to see LeBron lose to the Raps. Yea, I'm a hater...

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:What are y'all's takes about why OKC is stomping the Warriors so badly?
Aggressiveness, which leads to GS fouls. The Thunder are putting GS in situations they aren't prepared to defend. Both Thompson and Bogut (Who has been very good in his minutes) played limited minutes due to fouls last night.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Couldn't figure out how to embed this gif, but here's Steph fighting to get open. Spoiler alert: he doesn't.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

ShelC wrote:Nothing would give me more pleasure than to see LeBron lose to the Raps. Yea, I'm a hater...
+1

Would be great to see the Raptors pulling an unlikely return from 0-2, then watch a panicked Cleveland FO sending Love and Irving out (hopefully, one of them in our way) to please an even more panicked Lebron.

But I would settle for a spanking in the finals to the hands of the Thunder. I was rooting for GSW, but they just are not hungry enough, OKC are out hustling them every second of the series. The 73 wins record needed in my mind, to be next to a title in order to be fully significant, and I wanted to see it happening, but you can see in KD and Westbrook eyes' a fire absent from GS, he Warriors even looks "lakerish", in the way of playing like the are worthy just for showing up.W.

The Warriors look unable to run simple plays, unable to just execute, once the circus shots stop falling and the magic passes stop connecting, I would go as far as to say that Kerr and Mighty Walton are getting exposed as great talent administrators, other than mediocre coaches, since they has been unable to adjust, once a worthy opponent shuts down the circus.
Last edited by Aztec Sunsfan on Wed May 25, 2016 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

@O_G Hahah 8 fouls at least!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote: But I would settle for a spanking in the finals to the hands of the Thunder.
I think LeBron beats the Thunder.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
Superbone wrote:It was weird. I turned on the TV and it was already on TNT and I saw Ernie, Kenny, Shaq, and Charles sitting there and I thought for sure I heard them say the series was tied up 2-2. I quickly changed the channel as I was going to watch The Preacher with my son before watching the game. I thought they had spoiled it for me. When I finally watched the game, I kept waiting for this miraculous comeback. Needless to say, it never happened.
How old is your son? As a long time fan of the comic I can tell you Preacher probably shouldn't be watched by anyone under 16. The pilot wasn't that bad, a lot of blood, and the language was toned down since it was AMC. There's some... adult ideas and situations coming though.
He is 21. :D He's a writer. He'll be a senior in college in the fall. He'll be out of the country for the next two months though.

Preacher is based on a comic book, correct? Crazy stuff!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote: But I would settle for a spanking in the finals to the hands of the Thunder.
I would have thought that too, before the playoffs started. But I also expected the Cavs to sweep Toronto. I still kind of expect the Cavs to win the next two, though.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Indy wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
I would have thought that too, before the playoffs started. But I also expected the Cavs to sweep Toronto. I still kind of expect the Cavs to win the next two, though.
Yeah, Toronto not getting swept or done in 5 is a feat already. Lowry and Derozan have bounced back at home and Biyombo has been one of the biggest surprise of the playoffs. He is getting paid, but as always beware the Jerome James syndrome.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Indy wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Yeah, Toronto not getting swept or done in 5 is a feat already. Lowry and Derozan have bounced back at home and Biyombo has been one of the biggest surprise of the playoffs. He is getting paid, but as always beware the Jerome James syndrome.
Simmons tweeted something out saying that he can see Danny Ainge offering him a max deal. And I didn't check to see if this was correct, but it was ~45M... for the first season.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

carey wrote:I just really, really dislike the Thunder. I hate how the Thunder publicists have insulated Westbrook & Durant from criticism in Oklahoma. Anyone curious about it should do a bit of research. Those two are the very definition of Prima Donnas. It would give me great joy to see the Warriors regain their mojo and win the next 3.
Nah. I am happy for the Warriors to not be a juggernaut. I am also starting to dislike DrayGreen in the same way I did Manu.

Who would I pick to win it all at this moment? The Thunder. Who would I root for to win it all at this moment? The Raps. Can't help it. Love an underdog.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Indy wrote:Simmons tweeted something out saying that he can see Danny Ainge offering him a max deal. And I didn't check to see if this was correct, but it was ~45M... for the first season.
Ainge has handed a number of questionable contracts but nobody can be that insane. Would be pretty amusing, though. They could even try to sell a Biyombo-Bender modern frontcourt. On the other hand, I think Hield would be a good pick for the Celtics.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Simmons is an ass. Ainge has come out and said it's his job to protect the club from making bad decisions in free agency.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I am also starting to dislike DrayGreen in the same way I did Manu
This. I don't think he is nearly as good as he thinks he is, and he is a dirty player.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Simmons wasnt serious about biyombo and the new max doesn't start at 45 million. Most likely will start at 23 million for a player like Biyombo or Barnes.
Last edited by Split T on Wed May 25, 2016 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

No contract will start at 45M. The salary cap will be at 89-92M and the max will be 25%-30%-35% depending on years of experience. Around 30M the first year of a LeBron, for instance.

2017 will be even wilder at a projected cap of 107M.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ring_Wanted wrote:No contract will start at 45M. The salary cap will be at 89-92M and the max will be 25%-30%-35% depending on years of experience. Around 30M the first year of a LeBron, for instance.

2017 will be even wilder at a projected cap of 107M.
Which explains why the most likely Durant scenario is him resigning for one year in okc. Max starting salary for him in 2016 will be around 27 million. In 2017, that number jumps to 38 million.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

I know most probably wouldn't be a fan of this scenario, but if we got Biyombo on a reasonable contract. I'd love to run a twin towers lineup with him and Len. I know it didn't work out well with Chandler, but I think Biyombo does most of his work at the low post, and Len is better from the high post. I think the problem with the Len/Chandler duo is that they both tend to operate at the high post.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I do want a guy who can score at the basket, but we can do better than Biyombo. He's a career reserve who is playing above his head in this playoffs. I respect him for that, but we need a star.

As for the Green/Manu comparison, both are second round picks who made themselves "stars" by sheer competitiveness and team play. I don't like the attitude they play with, but then again, that's what got them where they are. I'd probably love them if the Suns had drafted them.