Around the League: The Off-season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Around the League: The Off-season

Post by In2ition »

I think they need Randle to pick up his option first, or do you think that's a just a given?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

It's a player option, not a team option. And I don't think there is any way Randle picks up the option. He should be able to double his yearly salary this offseason.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

carey

Post by carey »

INFORMER wrote:It's a player option, not a team option. And I don't think there is any way Randle picks up the option. He should be able to double his yearly salary this offseason.
If he costs $17-$18M then I definitely don’t want him.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

carey wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:42 pm
INFORMER wrote:It's a player option, not a team option. And I don't think there is any way Randle picks up the option. He should be able to double his yearly salary this offseason.
Same.

I’ll take him for $12-15M

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:02 pm
I think they need Randle to pick up his option first, or do you think that's a just a given?
Sign and trade. It only works if Randle wants to the "the man" in Memphis.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:57 am
In2ition wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:02 pm
Sign and trade. It only works if Randle wants to the "the man" in Memphis.
I've heard that Memphis is going to trade Conley and build around Morant and JJJ. They won't have their pick next year if falls out of the top 6. There is a good chance that they tank hard next year to make sure they keep that pick. They may have their eyes on the center from Memphis(James Wiseman) to pair with JJJ. He's another defensive stud and athlete.

They've also never been a free agent destination, so making trades for potential cap space probably won't be their ploy either. I guess we'll see what they get for Conley.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

carey

Around the League: The Off-season

Post by carey »

I’d be interested in Conley if the cost is TJ, the TJ expiring and a future first. It would cut $20M off their cap and significantly add to ours for an extra year. We’d be free to take Hunter or Cam or stick with one of the combo guards but there would be less pressure to do so.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'm not sure they are looking for potential cap space with expiring contracts. Doesn't Parson's contract finally expire too this next year?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:24 am
carey wrote:
Same.

Interesting. I'll be surprised if he is that affordable.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:17 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:24 am
carey wrote:
Same.

Interesting. I'll be surprised if he is that affordable.
I would too. Would you be interested at 18+?

If we had to choose between Oubre and Randle, where are you investing?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:23 pm
Would you be interested at 18+?

Good questions. I'd be open to paying Randle $18+ mil, but I would prefer to go with Dewayne Dedmon at a cheaper rate.

If I had to choose between Oubre and Randle, it would depend on what the Suns did in the draft. If they drafted Jarrett Culver, I'd be more willing to let Oubre walk. Also, with Oubre, a lot depends on his salary demands. Ideally, we would get him at $13 mil a year. Anything more than that and my interest wanes. Anything above $15 mil a year, I would look to part ways.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:35 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:23 pm
Would you be interested at 18+?

Good questions. I'd be open to paying Randle $18+ mil, but I would prefer to go with Dewayne Dedmon at a cheaper rate.

If I had to choose between Oubre and Randle, it would depend on what the Suns did in the draft. If they drafted Jarrett Culver, I'd be more willing to let Oubre walk. Also, with Oubre, a lot depends on his salary demands. Ideally, we would get him at $13 mil a year. Anything more than that and my interest wanes. Anything above $15 mil a year, I would look to part ways.
I’d agree with everything you said except I would not be in favor of letting Oubre walk because of anyone we draft, unless in fact he’s looking for $18-$20M+.

I’d be fine with Dedmon, but I do prefer Randle. If Randle is looking for $20M, I’d explore the chance to go after Aaron Gordon first if ORL was at all interested in trading him. I just like his versatility more next to Ayton.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I have this sinking feeling we are going to totally butcher this off-season in terms of free agency. I think we will overpay Oubre and maybe sign or trade for one other mediocre veteran and then call it a day.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:06 am
I have this sinking feeling we are going to totally butcher this off-season in terms of free agency. I think we will overpay Oubre and maybe sign or trade for one other mediocre veteran and then call it a day.
That sinking feeling is simply remembering this last decade.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:52 pm
If Randle is looking for $20M, I’d explore the chance to go after Aaron Gordon first if ORL was at all interested in trading him. I just like his versatility more next to Ayton.
I agree; Aaron Gordon is a better fit next Ayton.

Orlando has years of development in Aaron Gordon, and they just made the playoffs. They won't move him unless it is in a package for a clearly superior player.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Wall is often thought of as the worst contract in the league. What kind of trade offer would it take for Washington to get off that contract?

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:14 am
Wall is often thought of as the worst contract in the league. What kind of trade offer would it take for Washington to get off that contract?

It would have to start with also getting Beal and their next 2 unprotected firsts for me to consider

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:32 am
In2ition wrote:

It would have to start with also getting Beal and their next 2 unprotected firsts for me to consider
Is it really that bad? He's still relatively young, in comparison to Conley or Paul. His injury wasn't career ending.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:15 am
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:

Is it really that bad? He's still relatively young, in comparison to Conley or Paul. His injury wasn't career ending.
He's played 41 and 32 games in the last 2 years, he is known to love his alcohol and partying and showed up to training camp last year looking like he ate continuously through the offseason. I also don't like his attitude. I think his best years are behind him.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:26 am
In2ition wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:15 am
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:

He's played 41 and 32 games in the last 2 years, he is known to love his alcohol and partying and showed up to training camp last year looking like he ate continuously through the offseason. I also don't like his attitude. I think his best years are behind him.
That could be, but he could also have a bounce back.

Wall is way way down my list, but what if the Suns fail to secure a good vet pg all off-season?