Game Day: Grizzlies (14-22) @ Suns (14-21), Sun 1/5/20

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
SDC

Re: Game Day: Grizzlies (14-22) @ Suns (14-21), Sun 1/5/20

Post by SDC »

it's time for oubre as 6th man.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:37 am
Superbone wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:10 pm
Indy wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:04 pm
Did anyone else read that as blaming the new starting lineup James suggested to him?
I didn't. I get the impression that Baynes missed a lot of assignments.
Felt like throughout the 1st quarter there were a lot of guys looking at each other with their hands up like "Where were you/What are doing?" because of a blown assignment. Baynes was definitely a culprit early, think Ayton too and Monty even called a TO 3 plays in to try and straighten things out. But it was pretty consistent throughout the first half from what I saw.
Yeah, I saw Bayton missing tons of assignments most of the game. I am not sure it was clear who was the C and who was the PF for most of the game, and I think that screwed up their primary assignments and their rotations.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:01 am
ShelC wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:37 am
Superbone wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:10 pm
Indy wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:04 pm
Did anyone else read that as blaming the new starting lineup James suggested to him?
I didn't. I get the impression that Baynes missed a lot of assignments.
Felt like throughout the 1st quarter there were a lot of guys looking at each other with their hands up like "Where were you/What are doing?" because of a blown assignment. Baynes was definitely a culprit early, think Ayton too and Monty even called a TO 3 plays in to try and straighten things out. But it was pretty consistent throughout the first half from what I saw.
Yeah, I saw Bayton missing tons of assignments most of the game. I am not sure it was clear who was the C and who was the PF for most of the game, and I think that screwed up their primary assignments and their rotations.
That's actually a very good point I've been overlooking.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

SDC wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:42 am
it's time for oubre as 6th man.
Why? Who starts in his place?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think we should put Saric back in the starting lineup. Baynes is playing better overall, but I don't like how bulky and slow our Ayton/Baynes lineup is, and Baynes isn't a versatile outside shooter. Baynes is amazing at straight-on 3s, but he can't reliably hit the corner one, so you can't really use him as a space-the-floor center with Ayton. Saric is much better in the different angles at hitting 3s. Plus I see no benefit to taking away Saric's confidence. Saric's stats show that he is quite effective early in games as a starter, scoring a bunch of points in first quarters. Start him and get those early points, but then alter things in the second half if he's not shooting well. Bring Baynes off the bench to spell Ayton, so we always have a talented center on the floor (but not two at once).

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:03 am
I think we should put Saric back in the starting lineup. Baynes is playing better overall, but I don't like how bulky and slow our Ayton/Baynes lineup is, and Baynes isn't a versatile outside shooter. Baynes is amazing at straight-on 3s, but he can't reliably hit the corner one, so you can't really use him as a space-the-floor center with Ayton. Saric is much better in the different angles at hitting 3s. Plus I see no benefit to taking away Saric's confidence. Saric's stats show that he is quite effective early in games as a starter, scoring a bunch of points in first quarters. Start him and get those early points, but then alter things in the second half if he's not shooting well. Bring Baynes off the bench to spell Ayton, so we always have a talented center on the floor (but not two at once).
Agreed
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:03 am
Surprisingly, he is not.

@ Corners Saric is 15.6% and Baynes is 21.4%
Above the break, Saric is 37.5%, Baynes is 37.1%

http://nbashotcharts.com/zoned?id=238276337

http://nbashotcharts.com/zoned?id=-1909530148

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Our defense was the best I have seen in quite awhile at the start of the season. Now?...not so much. Back to being the Suns.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:35 pm
Our defense was the best I have seen in quite awhile at the start of the season. Now?...not so much. Back to being the Suns.
And our 3-point shooting. We were quite hot from 3 to start the season, and now it's barely a part of our offense. What happened? Regression to the mean, or a poorly chosen change in strategy? How much of it has to do with Booker's hand injury? I wish we could restructure our offense around Rubio finding open 3-point shooters like Booker, Cam, Oubre, Bridges, Baynes, etc. mixed with some Ayton P&R / handoff stuff.