2023-24 Suns Training Camp - Starting Oct 3rd

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
specialsauce

Re: 2023-24 Suns Training Camp - Starting Oct 3rd

Post by specialsauce »

Wally_West wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:44 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:09 pm
Another trash ass video. Zoom the fuck in. Why does Beal have pants on?? Take that shit off.
???
Am I wrong?? The people want to see

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:42 pm
Kryptonic wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:45 am
Superbone wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:53 pm
We told you about leaving thirst traps for AIG… 😂
Believe me. I thought about it! I hate to tempt the guy. Probably doesn't make his wife too happy.
I woke up in the middle of the night from a bad dream and now I'm dripping with sweat and can't sleep. Might need to wake up my wife to help put me to bed.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Bahahaha…. You two need to get a room! Separately 😂

Carno

Post by Carno »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:42 am
Is it just me do all our Suns podcasts suck? They’re either meandering or are so superficial and vague.
The Timeline is fantastic. Every Suns fan should be listening to it weekly.

Split T

Post by Split T »

You can get a 2nd podcast each week if you subscribe to their Patreon as well

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Book talking up his new center. Trigger warning. https://x.com/kellanolson/status/171029 ... 27342?s=46

Split T

Post by Split T »

It’s been clear for awhile that Jones values bigs that are smart and skilled. I thought it was Monty(and maybe it was him too), but Jones has consistently been after skilled bigs(Saric, Kaminsky, Sabonis, Nurkic)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:23 am
Book talking up his new center. Trigger warning. https://x.com/kellanolson/status/171029 ... 27342?s=46
Pat Barf agrees:

https://www.basketballnetwork.net/lates ... cquisition
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Split T wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:59 am
It’s been clear for awhile that Jones values bigs that are smart and skilled. I thought it was Monty(and maybe it was him too), but Jones has consistently been after skilled bigs(Saric, Kaminsky, Sabonis, Nurkic)
Been thinking about this too and you can even add Baynes to the list that first season. It's not like we were running a different system when those guys were on the floor, they just opened up the offense to where it should've/could've been. Problem was they put us at a disadvantage defensively and were really backups. Hopefully we get the best of the offense with at least average level defense from Nurk.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Just because of how I've judged him over the years
I'm taking the time to listen to most his interviews to change my perspective and dare I say even maybe like him smh lol

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Split T

Post by Split T »

Was thinking about which player having a breakout this year would be most beneficial to the team…I kinda eliminated the big 3, but obviously if one of them took a leap and became an MVP that would be huge.

I came to the conclusion that it would be Nassir Little. He’s got potential, he’s got size and athleticism to defend 1-4(and maybe 5), and maybe most importantly, he’s incredibly cheap and under team control the next 4 years. If he took a leap and say turned into OG Anunoby, that would be absolutely massive.

Obviously I’d love any of the vet min guys breaking out as well, but that probably means they leave next summer. Grayson Allen becoming JJ Reddick on offense would be nice. So would Nurkic turning into a healthy playmaking hub. Little seems like the guy to me though.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Phoenix Suns preseason brings many stylistic changes to watch for

https://arizonasports.com/story/3535636 ... watch-for/
The 5th starter

All eyes will be drawn to the news trickling in on Sunday morning when it comes to the starting lineup, quickly scanning to see who the fifth name is.

I would urge you not to overreact to it.

'Like a jungle in there': Suns' length will be defensive strength
While it is possible head coach Frank Vogel finds a standout in training camp as his guy right away, the more likely outcome is he cycles through a few different options. The roster has a handful of players on a similar level in terms of the contributions they bring each night, so it’s going to come down to what Vogel wants as the skillset to accentuate Bradley Beal, Devin Booker, Kevin Durant and Jusuf Nurkic.

“Whichever guy we have in there, we want them to play to their skillset,” Vogel said Thursday.

If it’s on-ball defense, that’s your music, Josh Okogie. If a pinch of primary initiating is required plus that irritant on star ball-handlers, Jordan Goodwin come on down. How about avoiding a smaller lineup and going with a traditional small forward? That would be Keita Bates-Diop’s 3-and-D appeal. If Nassir Little’s impact in those categories is deemed better, he’s the man. And then there are more offensive-minded approaches like Grayson Allen, Eric Gordon and Yuta Watanabe.

Vogel indicated this mix and matching has been going on through the loads of 5-on-5 work the Suns have put in over the last three days.

“We haven’t really had five set guys out there,” he said. “We’ve looked at a lot of different combinations.”

I’m guessing it’s Okogie but we’ll see.
Two must go in roster spot battle

The Suns have 17 players in on standard contracts and must get that down two more spots before the regular season. Trading Deandre Ayton and Toumani Camara for four players created this issue.

It appears the Suns at least want to get a look at someone like Keon Johnson, a hyper-athletic guard who was a first-round pick just two years ago and was part of the return for Ayton, instead of addressing this problem instantly.

Who else is potentially on the chopping block?

Wainright’s non-guarantees in his contract do him no favors, although he seems like exactly the type of switchable, physical defender Vogel likes. Goodwin has to be mentioned because of his favorable contract situation toward making a move like this as well but Phoenix would be foolish to let him go after the promise he showed in Washington D.C. last year. Bol is the one guy on the roster who doesn’t make much sense as a fit despite the one-of-a-kind parts of his game. Maybe this group really impresses enough to put pressure on someone like Metu. That seems unlikely, though.

Just know the stakes for that group when they get in the game (or don’t).

"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Split T wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:18 am
Was thinking about which player having a breakout this year would be most beneficial to the team…I kinda eliminated the big 3, but obviously if one of them took a leap and became an MVP that would be huge.

I came to the conclusion that it would be Nassir Little. He’s got potential, he’s got size and athleticism to defend 1-4(and maybe 5), and maybe most importantly, he’s incredibly cheap and under team control the next 4 years. If he took a leap and say turned into OG Anunoby, that would be absolutely massive.

Obviously I’d love any of the vet min guys breaking out as well, but that probably means they leave next summer. Grayson Allen becoming JJ Reddick on offense would be nice. So would Nurkic turning into a healthy playmaking hub. Little seems like the guy to me though.
I think for some of these guys we’re going to see non stars break out in smaller ways- Nurk with career blks or assists, Okogie with steals and deflections, KBD 3s made, fg %, or on the boards, etc. we have gaps that these guys will fill out the stat sheet as they make a difference. I really hope that KBD has a career year as a starter as I think it benefits the rest of the team the most to have great versatile defense, good rebounding, and excellent spacing.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:23 am
I’m sure he’s relieved to not have to constantly babysit his teammate on the court.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:18 am

I came to the conclusion that it would be Nassir Little.
Yes yes. Come to the light.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:24 pm
No kidding. This team is crazy deep. There are more players who deserve to play than there are spots in the rotation. Preseason is for figuring out who’s out and who’s in. We know the Big 3 and EG are in, so this is about evaluating everybody else.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Training Camp Day 4 clips plus a FLEX BOMB!!!!!

Spoiler: show/hide

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

They’ll get some bump?