College Basketball: 2015-2016

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
OE32

Re: College Basketball: 2015-2016

Post by OE32 »

Indy wrote:
OE32 wrote:If 19-year-olds know that they'll make the money, but that they'll be playing in front of smaller crowds, not on television, not subject to the celebrity status that big-time NCAA athletes have, many of them will choose to stay in school.
I wanted to respond to this specifically: I don't think most kids are wanting to go to the NBA to be on TV or play for big crowds. I think they want those things, but the money is the real draw. Many of them will make more on their rookie contracts in their first year, than most 18 year old will make for the next 20 years.
Yeah - that's why I'm thinking that the D-League makes sense. The player gets the money one year earlier than otherwise, and if that's what they're truly interested in, this would give them that opportunity.

I do agree about the exploitation of kids by the NCAA. The kids should be paid. The NCAA needs to get real.

pickle

Post by pickle »

That's interesting... Instead of the kids should be paid, there's no outcry for the NCAA shouldn't be getting paid...

Indy

Post by Indy »

pickle wrote:That's interesting... Instead of the kids should be paid, there's no outcry for the NCAA shouldn't be getting paid...
Are you saying all college games should be free?

pickle

Post by pickle »

I think maybe the NCAA's revenues should go to academics instead of the coaching staff, etc... but I guess that is far too complicated.

Indy

Post by Indy »

pickle wrote:I think maybe the NCAA's revenues should go to academics instead of the coaching staff, etc... but I guess that is far too complicated.

I understand completely. I just think the revenues wouldn't be there if you weren't paying the best coaches to coach/recruit. And no way does a school turn off that revenue stream, even if they already spend every penny of said revenue stream to maintain it.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I understand. However, I guess it helps if I can understand better what is meant by phrases like "NCAA makes money but student athletes don't." I thought about my comment a bit and decided that I didn't really even understand the basic premise of this statement, so it's kind of absurd for me to have any position at all re this matter.

Who exactly makes the money? Other than the coaches, and maybe the Athletic Directors who are relatively high profile and draw a salary that's relatively easier to find, there's a whole bunch of scouting and recruiting and advertising people as well, and the sports staffs themselves. So if we were to audit some of these major NCAA league sports programs, do they actually make a profit? And if so, where does that profit go? Do they go into academics *at all*?

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think it would be difficult to track all of the money, but from what I understand, a good portion of the funding for top division NCAA schools is their marque sports program.

I am sure there are plenty here with more knowledge than I have, though.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Pickle - Read INDENTURED: THE INSIDE STORY OF THE REBELLION AGAINST THE NCAA by Joe Nocera and Ben Strauss. I think it'll answer a lot of your questions. College football and basketball are basically cash cows that bring money and prestige to the universities and their athletic departments. There are literally BILLIONS of dollars involved and they had to be shamed into giving their athletes enough food so they don't go to bed hungry or have to scrape up their own money to eat. Where colleges have the players sign away their rights to their image in exchange for their college scholarship and then tell the players that can't make a penny of their association with college sports or they'll be ineligible. Where some coaches make millions in salary and from endorsements, television shows and having their players wear a specific brand of shoes, but a player's scholarship is renewed on a year-to-year basis, depending on the whim of the coaching staff and athletic department.

It's basically unbelievable what the NCAA gets away with.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

Thanks bobster

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Indy wrote:Thanks bobster
The NCAA really gets me pissed off sometimes.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

Indy

Post by Indy »

You are not the only one.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I think that championship game with Butler shooting under 20% (in 2011?) was the last full college game that I've watched.

Crappy quality and unethical administration. No thank you.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The players should just protest the NCAA championship game and not play when the whistle blows to start the game. That would get 'em paid pronto.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:The players should just protest the NCAA championship game and not play when the whistle blows to start the game. That would get 'em paid pronto.
Considering there will be very few seniors, their scholarships go away immediately. They are stuck.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Maybe all players would be eligible for the NBA draft, with 18-year-olds who are drafted getting paid according to the rookie wage scale, but having to spend a year in the D-League.

Players who aren't drafted should have the opportunity to return to school (like they do in baseball) or they can sign make-good NBA contracts, or with the D-League or in Europe.

And NCAA players deserve some kind of stipend for playing, people who believe this "student-athlete" crap they try to sell us are pretty naïve. Such may be the case at the non-Division I colleges, but the top NCAA schools are all about $$$.

pickle

Post by pickle »

The Bobster wrote:Pickle - Read INDENTURED: THE INSIDE STORY OF THE REBELLION AGAINST THE NCAA by Joe Nocera and Ben Strauss. I think it'll answer a lot of your questions. College football and basketball are basically cash cows that bring money and prestige to the universities and their athletic departments. There are literally BILLIONS of dollars involved and they had to be shamed into giving their athletes enough food so they don't go to bed hungry or have to scrape up their own money to eat. Where colleges have the players sign away their rights to their image in exchange for their college scholarship and then tell the players that can't make a penny of their association with college sports or they'll be ineligible. Where some coaches make millions in salary and from endorsements, television shows and having their players wear a specific brand of shoes, but a player's scholarship is renewed on a year-to-year basis, depending on the whim of the coaching staff and athletic department.

It's basically unbelievable what the NCAA gets away with.
Thanks Bobster. I'll see if I can find this on the Kindle store.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

You know I'm watching Oakland-Wright st. (don't ask why) on ESPNU and I really like this Kay Felder kid from Oak. Would take a look at him in the 28-33 range if I was the Suns. We should have 2 picks there. He's a smaller guard, but he can flat out play.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Sunsfan4life wrote:You know I'm watching Oakland-Wright st. (don't ask why) on ESPNU and I really like this Kay Felder kid from Oak. Would take a look at him in the 28-33 range if I was the Suns. We should have 2 picks there. He's a smaller guard, but he can flat out play.
Felder is for real. I'd take him 28 and consider it a steal. Don't know why, given IT's success, he isn't projected to go first round.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

I'm currently leaning toward Denzel Valentine at 12. I don't know how to get he, Booker and Warren all on the court at the same time, but I think he would work very well next to either of them.

carey

Post by carey »

OE32 wrote:I'm currently leaning toward Denzel Valentine at 12. I don't know how to get he, Booker and Warren all on the court at the same time, but I think he would work very well next to either of them.
I like him. I think he may be the NPOY. Not sure he's still there at #12 since he is one of the few guys in this draft that can probably start right away. DX has him all the way at #19 with Hield at #9. I expect him to move up when the draft gets closer.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!