2018 Suns Offseason News

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
The Bobster

Re: 2018 Suns Offseason News

Post by The Bobster »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:26 pm
I liked sports better before social media. I'm old now.
I hear yah.

I remember listening to games on the radio and catching the postgame show to know the individual scoring and listen to the player interviews, calling the newspaper's recorded message for sports scores, listening to 'Talk to the Suns' (Colangelo) and 'Talk to the Coach' (MacLeod) on KTAR and eagerly awaiting the few televised games on channel 12.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Suns should give Booker the super max to drown out all the other noise.

Would’ve been funny if Shams “Booker is upset” tweet was followed immediately by “Booker has agreed to super max contract exctension with the Suns”.

The Bobster

Re: RE: Re: 2018 Suns Offseason News

Post by The Bobster »

EDC wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:47 pm
carey wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:27 pm
EDC wrote:So we are now decrypting a "24 hours in a day" tweet to mean for sure McD ignored Booker because he was too busy signing Ariza?

Is that really where we are going with things?

McD has done plenty of things that we can bitch about without making things up and no Ulis isn't one of them. If you tell Booker before Ulis it causes drama if you tell him after it causes drama.

I prefer to hear about the Knight trade over and over again rather than a podcasts insights into a tweet they decrypted. :)
Well there's no shortage of that here. I'll keep twitter on twitter.
No need to stop posting it. It is nice to be able to get all the info here. I just disagree with their take on what it might mean. :)
I don't mind the posting of relevant Twitter posts, I just find it disappointing that so many of the original tweets them present conjecture as fact and that so many people take a "The sky is falling" attitude when they read them.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

carey

Post by carey »

UglyTruth wrote:Suns should give Booker the super max to drown out all the other noise.

Would’ve been funny if Shams “Booker is upset” tweet was followed immediately by “Booker has agreed to super max contract exctension with the Suns”.
He isn't eligible for a super max. Unless you just mean the 5 year max which is different.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

This is definitely overblown. If Booker and Ulis are as close as we seem to think they are, of course Booker is gonna feel some type of way about it. Communication from McD or not, the guy is still 21 years old.

Look at the bigger picture here. Ulis was terrible last season. Most teams would've probably kept Mike James over him. Of course I don't want him to leave, but Booker should be happy he had a chance to play with Ulis for as long as he did. This is a pretty clear sign that the team really trying to shed their tanking skin. Get rid of all the dead weight.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:46 am
Here's what I think we should do:

1. Use some combination of Warren/Chriss/Daniels/Mil Pick to find a steady PG who can shoot, defend his position and can take care of the ball.
2. Sign Trevor Ariza(A 1 year, big salary contract might work)

PG trade options(Kemba Walker, Dennis Schroeder, Darren Collison, Jeremy Lin, Spencer Dinwiddie, Delon Wright, Kyle Lowry, Tyus Jones, Goran Dragic, Malcolm Brogdon, Dejounte Murray, Terry Rozier, Cory Joseph)

A lot of those guys probably aren't available, and a lot of those teams wouldn't be interested in what we have to offer, but I thought I'd cover all the bases.

Let's say we get someone like Collison and sign Ariza, what do we think of:
I like Dinwiddie so just searched posts cause I was looking for the trade idea INF had suggested and came across this. I didn't realise Split is the person on our msg board who has direct contact with the front office :lol: , I always thought it was carey :)
You need to stop holding out on us with who is coming in at PG 8-)
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

carey

Post by carey »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:52 pm

I didn't realise Split is the person on our msg board who has direct contact with the front office :lol: , I always thought it was carey :)
I don't even live in Phoenix and my trade ideas are awful. The one thing I've been fairly decent at is predicting our drafts, especially late in the first or early second.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

https://twitter.com/GeraldBourguet/status/1013498614755147776

"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

carey wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:48 pm
UglyTruth wrote:Suns should give Booker the super max to drown out all the other noise.

He isn't eligible for a super max. Unless you just mean the 5 year max which is different.
Sorry yeah I meant the designated player max.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:48 pm

https://twitter.com/GeraldBourguet/status/1013498614755147776

On the money.

McD has to learn how to manage different personalities. It’s business 101.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Silly question: how does a player become eligible for a super max extension?

carey

Post by carey »

Wally_West wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:52 pm
You have to be finished your 8th season and meet one of the following requirements.
  • Make one of the three all-NBA teams or be named either defensive player of the year or most valuable player the previous season.
  • Make one of the three all-NBA teams or be named defensive player of the year in two of the prior three seasons or the league’s most valuable player in one of the three prior seasons.
You also have to be on the team that drafted you or have been traded on your rookie deal to another team.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

Wally_West wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:52 pm
Be really really good. :lol:

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Wormwood wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:37 am
This is a STUPID move.
:lol:
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Split T

Post by Split T »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:52 pm
Split T wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:46 am
Here's what I think we should do:

1. Use some combination of Warren/Chriss/Daniels/Mil Pick to find a steady PG who can shoot, defend his position and can take care of the ball.
2. Sign Trevor Ariza(A 1 year, big salary contract might work)

PG trade options(Kemba Walker, Dennis Schroeder, Darren Collison, Jeremy Lin, Spencer Dinwiddie, Delon Wright, Kyle Lowry, Tyus Jones, Goran Dragic, Malcolm Brogdon, Dejounte Murray, Terry Rozier, Cory Joseph)

A lot of those guys probably aren't available, and a lot of those teams wouldn't be interested in what we have to offer, but I thought I'd cover all the bases.

Let's say we get someone like Collison and sign Ariza, what do we think of:
I like Dinwiddie so just searched posts cause I was looking for the trade idea INF had suggested and came across this. I didn't realise Split is the person on our msg board who has direct contact with the front office :lol: , I always thought it was carey :)
You need to stop holding out on us with who is coming in at PG 8-)
Well now that the secret is out I might have to keep things a little more hidden ;)

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:54 am
https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... atr01.html

This fantasy that Ariza's played PF for a good part of his career and can handle minutes there is frustrating. He's been a catch and shoot SF his entire career. For his career he's played PF 12% of the time, last season he played there 5%.
Thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Whatever makes you sleep worse at night, INF. ;) I'd love to see an Odd Couple reboot with INF and Worm. Maybe Debbie Downer could be the next door neighbor. Wah, wah....
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

iLLmatic wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:05 pm
He probably tried to tell Devin over the phone but he couldn't quite get it out in time through all his stuttering and stammering through his sentences.
That is needlessly ugly.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:22 pm
Does anyone else think this is being way overblown?
Probably.

But to be honest, Ulis shouldn't have been drafted in the first place. Stop chasing after buddies and family members. Just get good basketball players, make sound financial decisions, and put a team together that fits together and is well-balanced.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:35 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:22 pm
Does anyone else think this is being way overblown?
Probably.

But to be honest, Ulis shouldn't have been drafted in the first place. Stop chasing after buddies and family members. Just get good basketball players, make sound financial decisions, and put a team together that fits together and is well-balanced.
That's probably right. Once you sign the best friend / brother / whatever, now it's super awkward if you rid of him or refuse to play him. Best to avoid the situation as much as you can, unless the player involved is a real gem. I like Ulis, but he probably isn't worth the fuss.