Game Day: Suns (1-3) @ Grizzlies (2-2), Sat 10/27/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Ring_Wanted

Re: Game Day: Suns (1-3) @ Grizzlies (2-2), Sat 10/27/18

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:05 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:59 pm
I HATE Ryan Anderson Jesus Christ!!!!!!!!!! He’s the run killer. Ayton was ROLLING
Anytime you're down 20+ and can take a step-back mid-range jumper you gotta do it.
ahahah

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Wow. I didn't expect this. Not going to watch it on League Pass delay.

Without watching this particular game, I wonder if the problem is that Igor's offense requires high basketball IQ. Either players will get it, or they simply won't. Maybe we just say fuck it to the rest of the NBA and go back to running Olajuwan Houston or Shaq LA inside-out offense with 3 point shooters spreading the floor. Have Ayton posting up and drawing the double team and passing out to the open shooter -- or simply taking it in and scoring. Booker gets the ball on broken plays. Mix this up with pick-and-rolls between Booker and Ayton, or perhaps Crawford and Ayton when Booker is out. Regardless, the main job of the PG becomes to deliver the ball to the pick-and-roll initiator or Ayton down low. And spread the floor and run back on defense.

It's clear that something needs to be done. Time to take off the band-aid regardless how badly it hurts.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:58 pm
We will trade Ariza in December when he is eligible.

Jackson has elite NBA quickness but no actual basketball skills, sadly. Another McDonough wiff I guess. The back-to-back busts will wind up setting us back years unless Jones can pull a rabbit out of a hat but it would need to be as soon as possible.
Two years lost. Although this allowed the franchise to draft Ayton. If we add another real talent next draft, then maybe. The goal should be acquiring the PG/PF of the future (doesn't seem like a strong PG class, though).

In the meantime, polish dynamics around Booker-Ayton, and use Okobo, Melton, Bender and Holmes already. No point in having 140 minutes invested in Anderson, Ariza, Jackson, Canaan, Chandler and Jamal.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:49 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:46 pm
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:38 pm
Maybe another year of terrible attendance/play will force Ol Bobby to sell the team.
It's nice to dream.
Aint nothin left.
ahhaha

We truly are one of those nightmare franchises now.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Cap wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:43 pm
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:27 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:24 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:50 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:45 pm
For the pro-Jackson crowd here that has been watching the games, what have you seen from him other than the fact that he was the fourth pick to make you think he has any chance to be a special player? If he was drafted same as Melton he would be an afterthought
I am having a difficult time thinking of any one particular thing he does well....
His overconfidence in his own ability is elite.
:lol: This might be the best Jackson breakdown I've seen.
DA to JJ: “Your overconfidence is your weakness.”
JJ to DA: “And your faith in your teammates is yours.”

/obSW
Sarver: I AM THE FRANCHISE!

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I'm still "with Josh" but I can't really give any hard facts to justify lol. I'm closer to just hoping at this point tbh but the simple things really have me concerned
* his decision making isn't improving
* on the missed FTs he was leaning back all the time which is another basketball 101 thing

So if I'm being objective that will come across like a guy who isn't processing the film room stuff and what he's been coached up on but like I said I'm hoping some kinda light switch goes off
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Going through my timeline this just had me puzzled
Was Ryan really trying to low-key say that he felt he should have played more ?? :?

https://twitter.com/DuaneRankin/status/1056446180404723712

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'm still pulling for Jackson. We need him to work at some level, I just think he needs to find his game and we need to put him in positions to succeed. His ballhandling ability shouldn't be overlooked. He's got really good handles and can play PnR, get out and make plays in transition and can get in to the lane. That's not nothing. More PnR oppportunites, put better athletes around him for transition points (we really have none). Not saying make him a focal point, but I've seen him grab the rebound and push the ball and no one's running with him.

I was afraid Anderson and Ariza might start in if we got off to a bad start and we might be there already. For all the talk about being mentors and being vets on a young team, they didn't sign up for this. Anderson was traded here so fine, but Ariza I'm sure thought we'd be better. You can tell he's frustrated with his body language.

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

Congrats to the Grizzlies for managing not to foul Ayton on any of his 13 shots.

Fun fact: The Grizzlies scored 51 points before Ayton took his 2nd shot attempt.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I watched all of this game on about 1 hour delay on my DVR. I didn't really expect us to win without Booker. I just wanted to see Ayton have a great game and maybe some signs of life from the other younglings.

I got the Ayton game I was wishing for. I just love his efficiency. 24 points on 12-13 shooting? Amazing. And throw in 8 boards and 5 assists. Magnifique!

Other than that, it was pretty rough. Trevor Ariza had a wonderful first game against the Mavs in our sole win, and he looked good in the preseason. But since that he's been horrid. He shot 2-10 including 1-8 on threes. Ouch. I expect much better from a 3-and-D vet like him. Ryan Anderson absolutely should not be starting (and never should have). Put Warren out there in his place. Speaking of Warren, he had 3 points in 18 minutes and was a total non-factor.

I thought Bridges played well; his D was pretty good amid a dreadful overall team defense. When I checked the box score I found that he shot only 2-8, which surprised me; but he had some open looks that clanged out. I thought Jamal Crawford played well, but he had 0 assists, and we desperately need some ball movement and somebody to run the offense. One of the few positives from this game is that all five of our starters had 3+ assists, and several guys off the bench had 2 assists. I guess that's something. PG by committee.

I also generally thought Canaan had a decent game, and that Okobo gave us some good minutes off the bench.

So, yeah, we got beat pretty badly. I don't like these losses. But if Ayton puts up good lines and I get a few other positive signs, I can trudge onward. I'd honestly rather lose these games but see great promise from Ayton than have us win but have Ayton putting up stinker games every night. The future of the team revolves around Booker and Ayton, and those two look really good. So I am trying to focus on that.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:21 am
Going through my timeline this just had me puzzled
Was Ryan really trying to low-key say that he felt he should have played more ?? :?

https://twitter.com/DuaneRankin/status/1056446180404723712

This fucking guy is the worst.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:02 am
The future of the team revolves around Booker and Ayton
And our 2019 draft pick. #TankTime

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I don't want to tank, but Zion would look really nice on this team.

That stat where the Grizzlies scored 51 points before Ayton's 2nd shot attempt is damning. I was wondering while watching it if the game plan was to get everyone else involved, because it felt like the team was purposely freezing him out for the most part. It's like they think they have to take stupid shots and if they hit, they need those heat checks, but they know that Ayton will score or find a teammate for a score, so we don't want to do that.

How do we know that Jackson isn't throwing games for the bookies? And tell me why Bridges doesn't get in the game until we are out of it, while Booker is out?

Clearly the Suns need a pg. Canaan is terrible on both sides of the ball. It frustrates me to no end. At least Shaq would have played defense and inspired the rest of the team to do the same and give a shit.

They need to find a bunch of dirt workers and energy guys right now. Why would we care if they suck on offense, at least they would put in the effort on the defensive end at this point. Give me a Kenneth Faried right now with a TJ McConnell. We need some players that have a little pride. It's so frustrating to see Ayton make a nice move and score or assist, only to come down on the other end and see guys lose their man off the ball or give up a layup because they could be bothered with moving their feet. And you couldn't blame it on Ayton's defense, he was pulled away from the basket for the most part all game, and he kept his man in check.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

The first minutes that Okobo played in the game, he made a nice move and shot. As soon as it happened, I saw Igor quickly call Canaan to go to the scorers table to sub him out. I don't get it, does he not want him scoring? Was his job to continue to get killed? Is Igor daring Sarver to fire him?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Re: Ayton ... he played credible defense on Gasol at times, with occasional lapses.

It's early, but his passing from the post is quite good, a little reminiscent of Danny Manning and/or Alvan Adams.

Lost in the beatdown of Josh Jackson (I'm not blameless) were the struggles of the #4 pick of the draft, Jaren Jackson.
He had 6 pts, 2 rbs and 5 fouls in 15 minutes.
Eddie Johnson noted that he tried to block everything and fell for even the most rudimentary of ball fakes.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

LazarusLong wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:19 am
Re: Ayton ... he played credible defense on Gasol at times, with occasional lapses.

It's early, but his passing from the post is quite good, a little reminiscent of Danny Manning and/or Alvan Adams.

Lost in the beatdown of Josh Jackson (I'm not blameless) were the struggles of the #4 pick of the draft, Jaren Jackson.
He had 6 pts, 2 rbs and 5 fouls in 15 minutes.
Eddie Johnson noted that he tried to block everything and fell for even the most rudimentary of ball fakes.
EJ's comment that JJJ would get faked out if you raised your eyebrows was pretty funny.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

That was a good line and not far from the truth. JJJ is very raw.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

ShelC wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:31 am
but Ariza I'm sure thought we'd be better. You can tell he's frustrated with his body language.
This team has been bad partly because of him, not in spite of him. He shouldn't be frustrated with anyone else.

The 3s he and Anderson are missing are wide open. There's no excuse to be shooting as poorly as he is.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
I'd honestly rather lose these games but see great promise from Ayton than have us win but have Ayton putting up stinker games every night.
Why are those the only 2 choices?

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Cap wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:40 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
The future of the team revolves around Booker and Ayton
And our 2019 draft pick. #TankTime
Glad we didn't trade the pick away for a PG