Suns trade Ariza to Wizards - for real.

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Shabazz

Re: Suns trade Ariza to Wizards - for real.

Post by Shabazz »

Honestly, Ariza looked great the first game of the season and then checked out by the second game. It was really weird how quickly he became disengaged. He would also often look pretty good in the first quarter and then just disappear.

Good riddance. I don't care about all the little tricks he showed the new guys. Coaches can do that, too. Shame on us for signing him, but he has a responsibility to at least play hard. That seems like the bare minimum to ask of a player earning that much.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1074881702714114048

:shock: :lol:

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

Melton can relax now for a while :)
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

carey

Post by carey »

This trade was all about accommodating Ariza. Again we do the right thing by a player. You think eventually our reputation will benefit from one of these? I'm pleased as punch, obviously.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Wally_West wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:21 pm

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1074881702714114048

:shock: :lol:
Thank Christ.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:06 pm
Honestly, Ariza looked great the first game of the season and then checked out by the second game. It was really weird how quickly he became disengaged. He would also often look pretty good in the first quarter and then just disappear.

Good riddance. I don't care about all the little tricks he showed the new guys. Coaches can do that, too. Shame on us for signing him, but he has a responsibility to at least play hard. That seems like the bare minimum to ask of a player earning that much.
Meanwhile 57 year old Jamal Crawford is making a difference. It's amazing what difference a good attitude makes.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Don’t even bother trying to negotiate a $12.5M buyout. Just give him his 12.6 and send him on his way before it becomes a situation. Heck, even do him the little favor of spinning it like it’s about fit instead of about him being Austin Rivers, just to get this behind us.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

What about a fracking ball handler? Let’s start 3 rookies the whole year?! I didn’t want Rivers very much but I’d like to see a stop gap point guard. Of all the trades we could have made...

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

F**K yeah!

THERE GOES AUSTIN RIVERS!

carey

Post by carey »

I think there's a decent chance we trade something for Jeremy Lin, be that Oubre or a couple of 2nds or something. He's shooting 50/40/80 right now. The only downside is that it might push Melton out of the rotation.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I thought this might be happening when Al McCoy said earlier tonight that Oubre was joining the team tomorrow but that there was no word on Rivers yet. Lol.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:19 pm
What about a fracking ball handler? Let’s start 3 rookies the whole year?! I didn’t want Rivers very much but I’d like to see a stop gap point guard. Of all the trades we could have made...
Melton and Crawford are playing pretty good right now. I’m not all that worried about the pg spot.

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

Austin Rivers doesn’t belong in the NBA, period.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Split T wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:57 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
Melton and Crawford are playing pretty good right now. I’m not all that worried about the pg spot.
It’s encouraging. But odds are this won’t end well. It’s 3 games. Melton looks and acts like a rookie who shouldn’t be playing more than 18mpg. He’s the only point guard who has like no go to moves and doesn’t know what to do with himself in the paint.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

So they traded Ariza for Kelly Oubre? I know Ariza didn't have a ton of value, but Kelly Oubre is pretty bad as well.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

We're left with just the player who wasn't even coming to us in the original trade. Lol.

I think we originally made the trade for Rivers, but didn't want him to mess up our chemistry once we started winning. But yeah, it's only 3 games and we probably will still need a point guard.

This front office is crazy.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:45 pm
I think there's a decent chance we trade something for Jeremy Lin, be that Oubre or a couple of 2nds or something. He's shooting 50/40/80 right now. The only downside is that it might push Melton out of the rotation.
If they actually want Lin, they should have tried to use Rivers for that. Matching salary is going to be hard now unless they swallow Anderson and/or Jackson is involved. Maybe ATL just waives Lin...

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:32 pm
We're left with just the player who wasn't even coming to us in the original trade. Lol.

I think we originally made the trade for Rivers, but didn't want him to mess up our chemistry once we started winning. But yeah, it's only 3 games and we probably will still need a point guard.

This front office is crazy.
The circus in undeniable but Rivers is not a PG anyway, his attitude has been questionable for a long time now and we have enough tunnel-vision scorers. PHX is right to refuse putting on the floor. Now, is waiving him right away a savvy move? Only if the FO worked the phones hard looking to move that contract for other salary belonging to a real PG or PF and they couldn't find anything doable. I doubt they went through that due diligence given how instantly they did the buyout but regardless, cutting Rivers is not a bad decision in itself.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Drewsprocket wrote:
We've got our stop gap point guard. His name is Melton. He's got a pretty good record as a starter. Look it up. :)
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:27 pm
F**K yeah!

THERE GOES AUSTIN RIVERS!
Gotta enjoy it while you can. Here and gone.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."