Around the League: Week 11 3/1-3/7

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
AmareIsGod

Re: Around the League: Week 11 3/1-3/7

Post by AmareIsGod »

O_Gardino wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:19 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:25 pm
I'm good! I'm in IT as well. Been working with the ServiceNow platform for awhile. About to start a new role as a Solutions Architect remotely for a company out of Boston. Living in the Moon Valley area, a bit centrally located. Wow. Small world for sure.
I did some SNow work recently. Not my cup of tea, but there sure is demand for smart people.
What ServiceNow work did you do?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Setting up some of the cloud management stuff. Seems like the platform can do almost anything if you are smart enough, but I didn't enjoy the way ServiceNow does business. Maybe because I was in the role of an architect and I shouldn't have been. :D
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

O_Gardino wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:05 pm
Setting up some of the cloud management stuff. Seems like the platform can do almost anything if you are smart enough, but I didn't enjoy the way ServiceNow does business. Maybe because I was in the role of an architect and I shouldn't have been. :D
Their licensing model can really screw you over at times and can be hard to decipher. Also, as they've grown, their professional services has really become lacking and you're left figuring out most of the difficult technical components on your own. Their turnaround in HI (their customer support system) has become slow and mediocre in many cases.

I'm lucky because I've been working on the platform for over 8 years and know the technical part pretty well along with seeing the changes over the years so I know how to get the answers I need when I need them. To those with less experience and especially those new to the platform, I can definitely see how it can be a daunting task at times.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:45 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:05 pm
Their licensing model can really screw you over at times and can be hard to decipher. Also, as they've grown, their professional services has really become lacking and you're left figuring out most of the difficult technical components on your own. Their turnaround in HI (their customer support system) has become slow and mediocre in many cases.

I'm lucky because I've been working on the platform for over 8 years and know the technical part pretty well along with seeing the changes over the years so I know how to get the answers I need when I need them. To those with less experience and especially those new to the platform, I can definitely see how it can be a daunting task at times.
That about sums it up. It sounds like you have found a niche, though.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:24 pm
A new wrinkle in the 3pt contest. They added a couple of Curry/Booker almost half court shots to the mix.
wasnt that there the last couple of years?

Split T

Post by Split T »

It was last year for sure

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Dame got one too.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

That was pretty cool. I'd be really impressed to see Paul dunk off the dribble.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:10 am
It surprises me how good of shape Paul is in at 35, and will be 36 before the season is over. Not sure how many sub 6 foot guys can dunk at 36.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

We should have made a thread for the All-Star Weekend. Oh well.

Indy

Post by Indy »

There only would have been 20 posts or so. Really low enthusiasm for it.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:36 am
True, but a 20-post thread is still worthy. It's a significant event in the NBA season. And it's no better to have to find the posts scattered across page 17 of the "Around the League" and "Suns News" threads.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:44 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
It surprises me how good of shape Paul is in at 35, and will be 36 before the season is over. Not sure how many sub 6 foot guys can dunk at 36.
I'm hoping he has a Nash-like extended career.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think there is a very real possibility he opts out and signs a longer term deal this summer.

Question...Is there a possibility that CP3 can challenge for best pg in suns history or 2nd best? Would take a lot to catch Nash...but could he catch Kidd and KJ?

He’d have to win a title here to enter a conversation with Nash, but if he has a 4 year run here and leads us deep into the playoffs, can he catch KJ? Probably needs to win a title for that too, just because he’ll run out of time.

It’s crazy that 4 of the 15 best pg of all time have played here.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:46 am
Indy wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:44 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
I'm hoping he has a Nash-like extended career.
This is about the same time Nash dropped off a cliff. I think it was his "year 36" where it was very noticeable.
Last edited by Indy on Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:53 am
I think there is a very real possibility he opts out and signs a longer term deal this summer.

Question...Is there a possibility that CP3 can challenge for best pg in suns history or 2nd best? Would take a lot to catch Nash...but could he catch Kidd and KJ?

He’d have to win a title here to enter a conversation with Nash, but if he has a 4 year run here and leads us deep into the playoffs, can he catch KJ? Probably needs to win a title for that too, just because he’ll run out of time.

As long as he carries us to a Finals birth, he becomes #1. I mean, I would still take Nash over him due to longevity here, but you can't argue with results.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:40 am
Indy wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:36 am
True, but a 20-post thread is still worthy. It's a significant event in the NBA season. And it's no better to have to find the posts scattered across page 17 of the "Around the League" and "Suns News" threads.
that is a good point

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I dunno. Even if we go to the Finals, does a 2-year stint really surpass the 2-time MVP, Nash? I think a title is hard to argue with, but if Paul is only here 2 years and we go to the Finals one of those years and don't win a title, I think Nash is still the GOAT Suns PG. He turned the entire team around and made us one of the best in the league for almost a decade; he won 2 MVPs; he led us on many memorable deep playoff runs; and arguably he/we revitalized the NBA and helped turn it into the pace-and-space, 3-point-heavy league that it is today.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:10 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:53 am

As long as he carries us to a Finals birth, he becomes #1. I mean, I would still take Nash over him due to longevity here, but you can't argue with results.
Just make it to the finals? KJ made it to one. Though I guess maybe more credit goes to Barkley...anyways, I hope it becomes a real conversation.