USA Basketball

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: USA Basketball

Post by Split T »

Why are we surprised that JJJ isn’t getting rebounds and is fouling a lot? That’s like being surprised Ayton isn’t getting to the foul line or being surprised Biyombo misses free throws. It’s who they are and it’s who they’ve been their whole careers.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

At this point in his career, fouling and rebounding are really detrimental. For his career he's averaging 27 minutes a game, and you need your stars out on the court more than that.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

JJJ in the tournament - 19.5 Min, 8.5 Pts, 3.3 Reb

Getting Joel Embiid on the roster for the Olympics would be a big help. (so to speak)
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

Split T

Post by Split T »

Memphis had the 2nd ranked defense and the 4th ranked rebounding team, so I don’t think it’s hurting them too much, but yes he needs to learn to stay out of foul trouble.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:01 am
A little late, but I’ll just say that no one thinks JJJ is a good rebounder. Everyone knows he’s bad at it. He also plays the 4 next to Steven Adams. Rebounding is not what he’s asked to do. He’s still an elite defender.
Adams missed half the season this year.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

The best ability is availability

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:18 am
Split T wrote:
A little late, but I’ll just say that no one thinks JJJ is a good rebounder. Everyone knows he’s bad at it. He also plays the 4 next to Steven Adams. Rebounding is not what he’s asked to do. He’s still an elite defender.
That is true, point still stands. He plays the 4 in Memphis. Tillman started at the 5 with Adams out.

I’m not even sure what we are debating.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:41 am
JeremyG wrote:
Split T wrote:
That is true, point still stands. He plays the 4 in Memphis. Tillman started at the 5 with Adams out.

He is overrated

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I like Ayton more than JJJ. Oops. Wrong thread.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

The point I was trying to make is that you can't really count on him to produce against the traditional centers he's going to see in the Olympics. They need to add some size to the team. Kessler certainly isn't the answer.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Me remembering that I left this thread at 6 pages, now seeing 8 and saying
Wow looks like the guys tuned in/enjoyed the game but I see what's happened smh lol

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Split T

Post by Split T »

The Bobster wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:28 pm
The point I was trying to make is that you can't really count on him to produce against the traditional centers he's going to see in the Olympics. They need to add some size to the team. Kessler certainly isn't the answer.
That’s certainly true. The biggest issue is he just isn’t a center. He’s playing out of position.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

If the US sends it's true "A" stars, we can send guys like Myles Turner, Jarrett Allen and Mitch Robinson to handle the interior issues this current squad is having. Yea having Embiid would put us over the top and add another superstar to the mix, but if we're sending guys like Dame, Steph, Klay, Book, Tatum, PG, LBJ KD, AD then we can certainly get by with the 3 I mentioned above. Even MitchRob alone would've been a big boost to this summer's team. In international play, he's probably more situational but you still need a couple big bodies.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:25 pm
Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Split T wrote:

He is overrated
Overrated how? I think he’s pretty clearly one of the most impactful defenders in the game, possibly the most impactful. I don’t think anyone thinks he’s a superstar. Elite defender, good offensive player. Yes he fouls too much and yes he’s a poor rebounder.

I think everyone probably views him pretty much the same. Just seems like he’s being attacked for not playing the 5 well when the simple answer is he’s just not a 5.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:02 pm
If the US sends it's true "A" stars, we can send guys like Myles Turner, Jarrett Allen and Mitch Robinson to handle the interior issues this current squad is having. Yea having Embiid would put us over the top and add another superstar to the mix, but if we're sending guys like Dame, Steph, Klay, Book, Tatum, PG, LBJ KD, AD then we can certainly get by with the 3 I mentioned above. Even MitchRob alone would've been a big boost to this summer's team. In international play, he's probably more situational but you still need a couple big bodies.
Bigs have always been our shortcoming. If Embiid doesn’t play, AD is probably the best option. Ultimately it’s not going to matter much if the top guys decide to play.

Also Klay has no business being mentioned with those other guys anymore.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:06 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Split T wrote:

He is overrated
Overrated how? I think he’s pretty clearly one of the most impactful defenders in the game, possibly the most impactful. I don’t think anyone thinks he’s a superstar. Elite defender, good offensive player. Yes he fouls too much and yes he’s a poor rebounder.

I think everyone probably views him pretty much the same. Just seems like he’s being attacked for not playing the 5 well when the simple answer is he’s just not a 5.
Impactful from the bench is not impactful. You can’t rely on him just like you can’t rely on AD, though for different reasons.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:08 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:06 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

He is overrated

Impactful from the bench is not impactful. You can’t rely on him just like you can’t rely on AD, though for different reasons.
I think his foul trouble is being overstated. He played 28 minutes per game and that number went up to over 30 after the all-star break. He averaged 37 minutes a game in the playoffs.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

We always talk about Canada becoming a force
Guess this still isn't a surprise

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:08 pm
ShelC wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:02 pm
Bigs have always been our shortcoming. If Embiid doesn’t play, AD is probably the best option. Ultimately it’s not going to matter much if the top guys decide to play.

Also Klay has no business being mentioned with those other guys anymore.
There's been serious talk of him switching to Bahamas next summer anyway.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Split T wrote:

Basketball-Reference says he played at Center last season.