NBA Finals discussion

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: NBA Finals discussion

Post by Mori Chu »

I'm pretty stunned that the Warriors are struggling so much in the last two games. I still think they expended too much energy going for the 73 wins and are running out of gas here down the stretch. It all starts with Steph's injured MCL, which I still think is hurting and hobbling him. Mark my words, right after the Finals he'll go in for knee surgery. And Barnes has been a no-show and Klay has been inconsistent. The shots just aren't falling. Some credit goes to the Cavs defense for that.

I think the Ws can still pull it out in Game 7 on their home floor. But the Cavs have a ton of confidence and all the momentum. The last 2 games they ran out to huge leads in the 1st quarter and basically held it even after that. If the Warriors can just weather the storm in the start of the game, I think they can win it.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

The Bobster wrote:The Finals have certainly shown us that being the regular season MVP (Curry) and the playoff MVP (which James deserves) are two entirely different things.
QFTT

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Cap wrote:Warranted a technical foul, no doubt. But I don't think it warranted ejection, let alone suspension.

It was a very human reaction. It's not difficult to imagine myself reacting the same way in the same situation.
Cap, you are the last person I could imagine throwing a mouthpiece. Your posts are always so calm and reasoned.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Cap

Post by Cap »

O_Gardino wrote:
Cap wrote:Warranted a technical foul, no doubt. But I don't think it warranted ejection, let alone suspension.

It was a very human reaction. It's not difficult to imagine myself reacting the same way in the same situation.
Cap, you are the last person I could imagine throwing a mouthpiece. Your posts are always so calm and reasoned.
Thanks, but I do have a temper. It's not difficult to provoke me into an angry display when adrenaline is running high. Unlike basketball or other physical exertion, posting on the BBS doesn't produce a rush of excess adrenaline.

Also, my objectivity on this may be compromised by the fact that I have to wear a dental guard constantly (due to severe, uncontrollable bruxism). The darn thing is uncomfortable and annoying, and the image of chucking it into the stands is kind of cathartic.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I'm pretty stunned that the Warriors are struggling so much in the last two games. I still think they expended too much energy going for the 73 wins and are running out of gas here down the stretch. It all starts with Steph's injured MCL, which I still think is hurting and hobbling him. Mark my words, right after the Finals he'll go in for knee surgery. And Barnes has been a no-show and Klay has been inconsistent. The shots just aren't falling. Some credit goes to the Cavs defense for that.

I think the Ws can still pull it out in Game 7 on their home floor. But the Cavs have a ton of confidence and all the momentum. The last 2 games they ran out to huge leads in the 1st quarter and basically held it even after that. If the Warriors can just weather the storm in the start of the game, I think they can win it.
How does resting players more during the regular season stop Curry from slipping on a wet patch during the playoffs?

Also, their players may not have sat games, but the minutes distribution among their stars was very, very reasonable. They weren't getting "Thibodeaued."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:...and the playoff MVP (which James deserves)...
The Cavs probably have to win for LeBron to be Finals MVP. It's only happened one time in the history of the league where a player (Jerry West, 1969) lost and got MVP.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Curry averaged 34 minutes a game during the season which isn't excessive at all. Bogut averaged only 21 and he still got hurt.

The Warriors didn't place a player in the top 20 in average minutes played this year. Sometimes things just happen.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Cap wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:

Thanks, but I do have a temper. It's not difficult to provoke me into an angry display when adrenaline is running high. Unlike basketball or other physical exertion, posting on the BBS doesn't produce a rush of excess adrenaline.

Also, my objectivity on this may be compromised by the fact that I have to wear a dental guard constantly (due to severe, uncontrollable bruxism). The darn thing is uncomfortable and annoying, and the image of chucking it into the stands is kind of cathartic.
Ravenclaw on line, but Slytherin in the streets. Got it.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

I definitely don't think that what Curry did warrants a suspension and he won't receive one. I just meant that his actions warranted an ejection from the game. At that point, he was already fouled out so it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

carey

Post by carey »

Haslem got a suspension for throwing his mouth guard....but it was at a ref.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

carey wrote:Haslem got a suspension for throwing his mouth guard....but it was at a ref.
#FansLivesMatter!
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

SDC

Post by SDC »

Win or lose in game 7, does love stay or go?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

carey wrote:Batum would be a great fit there as I'm not sure how much gas Iggy has in the tank.
Excellent point.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:You're always going to get ejected if you throw something into the crowd. That's just the way it is.

And the 6th call on Curry was a ticky-tacky call, but it was a foul. Certainly not nearly as bad a call as the one in the second quarter that gave Love his third foul.

The Finals have certainly shown us that being the regular season MVP (Curry) and the playoff MVP (which James deserves) are two entirely different things.
They were not calling that contact as fouls 90% of the time when curry was being doubled.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Not sure, but I think the broadcasters said that a technical after fouled out it's an automatic ejection.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Shabazz wrote:How does resting players more during the regular season stop Curry from slipping on a wet patch during the playoffs?

Also, their players may not have sat games, but the minutes distribution among their stars was very, very reasonable. They weren't getting "Thibodeaued."
The NBA regular season is a grind. If you can steal a game or a half or a quarter of rest here and there, the cumulative difference is huge. These things matter.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Shabazz wrote:How does resting players more during the regular season stop Curry from slipping on a wet patch during the playoffs?

The NBA regular season is a grind. If you can steal a game or a half or a quarter of rest here and there, the cumulative difference is huge. These things matter.
Injury due to fatigue or being worn out it one thing. This was an injury that would have happened either way.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

I think you're reaching here, Mori. The Warriors didn't overextend themselves. As others said, none of their guys were in the top 20 in minutes played, and they blew teams out left and right that led to their starters getting early rest.

The Warriors are not facing a Game 7 because they got tired; they're facing a Game 7 because Cleveland has played better than them the last two games (and Draymond Green missed Game 5).
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

I have barely watched any of the finals or playoffs for that matter. I'll watch tomorrow night because of the Drama but between two teams I don't like, every game minus 1 being a blow out, the inconsistency of Suspending players (you can kick Steven adams in the nuts but not Lebron after he stepped over you), the awful officiating (yes the NBA has the worst refs/umpires/linesmans of any of the 4 major sports and now we have reports over the last 2mins to prove it), and worst of all the absolutely DREADFUL media coverage ESPN has (Michael Wilbon and Stephen A. Smith.....ARE WE SERIOUS???) And to cap it off the multiple times throughout the playoffs I've heard people say David Stern alterd the course of history by suspending Amare and Diaw (due to the Green suspension and non suspension) It has been like 1 big nightmare.

I found myself watching a Copa America game the other night instead of Game 6.
Thank God my Pens made a run to win the cup so I just basically followed Hockey for the past 2 months.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

AmareIsGod wrote:I definitely don't think that what Curry did warrants a suspension and he won't receive one. I just meant that his actions warranted an ejection from the game. At that point, he was already fouled out so it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Curry could of thrown the whole bench at a fan and they wouldn't of suspended him for Game 7.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”