Around the League: Week 25 4/11 - 4/17

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Around the League: Week 25 4/11 - 4/17

Post by Superbone »

Yep, West is an executive board member for GSW. And welcome back, JWB!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Thanks Bone, and thanks for the help on registration.

I just do not who's soup Jerry West crapped in. He always has seemed a great guy and certainly one of the best players that ever lived. I have no idea why he is not still with them. Unlike a Robert Sarver owned teamed the Lakers have usually been very supportive to their former players. For god's sake, Jerry is the Logo for the NBA. That was done for good reason IMO.

I may be wrong but I think he has had a lot to do with the success that Golden State is currently enjoying.

That is what concerns me about Watson. Sarver has made so many idiotic management and player decisions since he has been owner, I have little trust in any move this franchise makes.

I think INFO has been one of the lone detractors to the decisions that McDonough has made but I have jumped on his bandwagon and will be firmly planted there until this franchise makes a couple of steps forward. Not really asking for a lot at this point.
This BUD'S for us! - Play fast Play well - Go Suns!

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

West was one of my favorite players as a young kid, but I don't know if deserves much of the credit for what's taking place in Golden State - he might have input into the recent transactions, but Curry and Thompson were there well before he joined the organization.

Hell, he probably even gets to much of the credit for the Laker's success - Pete Newell traded for Kareem and Bill Sharman did most of the heavy lifting to make the Showtime Lakers (he drafted Norm Nixon, Michael Cooper and Magic Johnson, signed Jamaal Wilkes, hired Paul Westhead and Pat Riley and traded for the draft pick that turned out to be James Worthy).

West does deserve the credit for assembling the Shaq/Kobe Lakers though. And I think his big shadow was a little to much for Phil Jackson's ego to put up with.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

West's tenure with the Grizzlies was also a disaster.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

A disaster? He got them to the playoffs for the first time since they were founded in Vancouver. Granted they were swept everytime, once by us is 2004/05 (remember how some thought they'd be a tought series because they 'matched up well' against those Suns). Still enough to name him exec of the year.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Most of the pieces (Gasol, Battier) were in place before West came on board. He also drafted Gooden over Amare.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

[streamable][/streamable]

Cap

Post by Cap »

[streamable]? Are there any other undocumented BBCode tags?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

He doesn't even hit net on the second attempt. SMH

Oh, and appropriate avatar, Cap! It made me let out a "heh".
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

JustWinBaby wrote: That is what concerns me about Watson. Sarver has made so many idiotic management and player decisions since he has been owner, I have little trust in any move this franchise makes.
Except hiring Ryan McDonough, apparently.

Welcome JWB.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

INFORMER wrote:
JustWinBaby wrote: That is what concerns me about Watson. Sarver has made so many idiotic management and player decisions since he has been owner, I have little trust in any move this franchise makes.
Except hiring Ryan McDonough, apparently.

Welcome JWB.
I am a fool and supported the hiring of McDonough. I went along with his moves early on but the moves he made at the trade deadline in 2015 and last summer appeared irrational at best. I still have hope for Bledsoe and I know you are one of his main detractors.

I also am not as impressed as some with the McDonough/Watson pairing. Two guys trying to find their way with the great Robert Sarver backing them up.

I think at one point you were suggesting Knight rather than Bledsoe, that was prior to us trading for him. Quite frankly I am not sold on either of them at this point. Unfortunately I expect we better get used to watching both of them if we choose to watch Suns games for the next couple of years.

You are always great in evaluating the draft. Is their anyone that you would suggest at this point. I think it is obvious that we can use help everywhere. McDonough seems to think we have so much talent that we will only be able to add two players to a team that won 23 games. Gimme a break.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Good to see you JWB. Welcome!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Cap wrote:[streamable]? Are there any other undocumented BBCode tags?
There's a tweet tag, a youtube tag, a streamable tag, and a few others. I'll post a list of them soon.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Mori Chu wrote:Good to see you JWB. Welcome!
Thanks

Thanks for doing whatever you did to allow me to get registered. I expect their are others that had the same issues. Bone did my communicating but you got the job done.

Go Suns

Mori Chu

Re: RE: Re: Around the League: Week 25 4/11 - 4/17

Post by Mori Chu »

JustWinBaby wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:Good to see you JWB. Welcome!
Thanks

Thanks for doing whatever you did to allow me to get registered. I expect their are others that had the same issues. Bone did my communicating but you got the job done.

Go Suns
LOL, I had to reinstall the whole site software. But no biggie!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk