Around the League: Coronavirus Break

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Around the League: Coronavirus Break

Post by ShelC »

I feel like we would've heard something like that by now after all this time. And given it was JC/BC, I'm not sure I believe it went down that way. If it were Sarver and the clowns in management the past 10 years, I'd absolutely believe it.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Why should we believe "Fat Joe"?

Was he some sort of hanger-on at the time?

Seriously, I'm old - I've never heard of the guy.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I haven't seen the documentary but was thinking the same thing. I'm sure he's hung with Marbury and/or his family/friends, might've heard a story or something but I'm taking it with a grain of salt. I think it's easy these days to take a shot at the Suns, even tho the Marbury trade was like 15+ years ago. Plus, how are the Suns supposed to tell Marbury he's been traded? Over a candlelit dinner? I know for a fact the Knicks treated him worse when he was on his way out of NY.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

The Bobster wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:04 pm
Why should we believe "Fat Joe"?

Was he some sort of hanger-on at the time?

Seriously, I'm old - I've never heard of the guy.
He's a rapper.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Lol
I used to go NYC in the summer when I was younger and EBC at Rucker Park was must see tv and I know he's big into bball and used to get some of the NBA guys to come down
Like I said tho I wouldn't have had the insight on the Suns that I do now so was just wondering if there was some story I didn't know about but I'm not getting that impression
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

NBA’s anonymous ‘snitch hotline’ has received multiple submissions
The NBA’s anonymous hotline has reportedly been running hot inside the Disneyland bubble as players call out their fellow peers.
https://www.news.com.au/sport/american- ... 1c5d0fb0f5

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:51 pm
NBA’s anonymous ‘snitch hotline’ has received multiple submissions
The NBA’s anonymous hotline has reportedly been running hot inside the Disneyland bubble as players call out their fellow peers.
https://www.news.com.au/sport/american- ... 1c5d0fb0f5
Snitches get stitches.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Well, we're talking about serious health ramifications for the players who have sacrificed a lot to be there. If somebody's asshole enough that they have to sneak out, and can't make the decision to go home they get what they deserve.
Last edited by The Bobster on Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’m just glad this isn’t last years team. Josh Jackson would’ve done something to get the whole team quarantined

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:38 pm
I’m just glad this isn’t last years team. Josh Jackson would’ve done something to get the whole team quarantined
still might.

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:23 pm
ell, we're talking about serious health ramifications for the players who have sacrificed a lot to be there. If somebody's asshole enough that they have to sneak out, and can't make the decision to go home they get what they deserve.
yep

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Does the league have a plan for if an entire team gets compromised? Like if they're doing the playoffs and it's discovered that the entire Bucks or Lakers team was in direct contact with a delivery man who had the virus, what do they do? They can't ask the whole team to sit out 7-10 days. Postpone the series? Cancel?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:17 pm
Does the league have a plan for if an entire team gets compromised? Like if they're doing the playoffs and it's discovered that the entire Bucks or Lakers team was in direct contact with a delivery man who had the virus, what do they do? They can't ask the whole team to sit out 7-10 days. Postpone the series? Cancel?
Well they aren’t supposed to have direct contact with anyone not part of essential staff...so players, coaches, medical staff.

The more likely scenario is a player on the team tests positive which everyone would have had contact with. That player would be quarantined for sure, then I’m sure they’d quarantine the rest of the team for a few days to make sure no one else tested positive. I didn’t read the whole packet on guidelines for the bubble, but I’m sure it was included in there.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Looked it up, here’s some info:
Should an individual return a positive test, they'll be subjected to a second test as soon as possible to help rule out the chance of a false positive. Given that second test is positive, they'll be sequestered in "isolation housing," which the league describes as "a house, hotel, or other facilities that are different from the individual's previous hotel room and at a location in which no individuals who have not tested positive are residing. While there, they will have access to cleaning services and meal delivery. Professionals will facilitate medical care via teleconference unless in-person aid becomes necessary.

In order to return from isolation housing and rejoin the main NBA bubble, previously infectious individuals will need to be free of all COVID-19 symptoms, return two negative PCR tests more than 24 hours apart, and receive a positive medical evaluation from the league's designated physicians. Additionally, players will be subjected to cardiac screening prior to returning to the hardwood.
In conjunction with health officials and the Florida Department of Health, the NBA will use "sensor-based, video-based, and/or individual tracing" to determine whether other players, coaches or staff came in close contact with an individual once they are found to be infected with the virus. Those deemed at higher risk after exposure to an infected person will undergo intensified testing and monitoring.

So it doesn’t appear exposure to an infected person will shut the team down. Increased testing and monitoring. Would be interesting to see what would happen if 4 or 5 or more tested positive from the same team.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

:D

Indy

Post by Indy »

that was pretty great.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:14 pm
that was pretty great.
Yeah, I enjoyed that. Even an Oubre Jr. mention. :D
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

LOL. The part about the Lopezes fighting Goofy cracked me up.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

For those wondering if Blake and Greer might be Covid related , guess it's possible