Donald "Piece of Crap" Sterling at it again

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Shabazz

Re: Donald "Piece of Crap" Sterling at it again

Post by Shabazz »

SDC wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Shabazz wrote:Why are people acting surprised? He's a pretty well known racist.
Thank you. I'm really surprised at how surprised and shocked people are. Charles Barkley said as much. This guy has a long history of just being an awful, awful person. Why is what he says in private the tipping point to get him out of the league? He's had much worse incidents within the Clipper organization as well as in his other business ventures.
\

so why is the NAACP, before the revelation, trying to give sterling a lifetime achievement award? how much did donald sterling pay them to receive this award?
You answered your own question.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
SDC wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Shabazz wrote:Why are people acting surprised? He's a pretty well known racist.
Thank you. I'm really surprised at how surprised and shocked people are. Charles Barkley said as much. This guy has a long history of just being an awful, awful person. Why is what he says in private the tipping point to get him out of the league? He's had much worse incidents within the Clipper organization as well as in his other business ventures.
\

so why is the NAACP, before the revelation, trying to give sterling a lifetime achievement award? how much did donald sterling pay them to receive this award?
You answered your own question.
It could be the only explanation, right?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:Obviously, if you listen to the recordings, she was setting him up (and recording it!) When you're in the public eye, you better watch what you say always in this day and age.
Especially if you're talking to your estranged girlfriend who's mad at you and might have reasons to make trouble for you. Don't say horrible things about black people to her, maybe?
Superbone wrote:As far as his wife, what kind of woman would put up with her husband having multiple affairs and transgressions? One that was attached to millions of dollars, that's who. She wants all the money to herself so blame the other woman rather than her husband.
You mean BILLIONS of dollars. She knows what she's doing. She knows what kind of man Donald Sterling is; she isn't stupid. Keeping her mouth mostly shut is probably the safest thing to do right now.

SDC

Post by SDC »

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-es ... ing-699215
V. Stiviano Attorney: Donald Sterling Rant Audio Is 'Legitimate'
The firm representing the woman heard in the incendiary audio recordings of the Clippers owner says that their client "did not release the tape(s) to any news media."
ah okay, so who taped the conversation? the NSA? is it legal?

SDC

Post by SDC »

these are the photos the old geezer doesnt want to see on her instagram

and who is dennis?

SDC

Post by SDC »

Obviously, if you listen to the recordings, she was setting him up (and recording it!)
yup. was the girl who introduced the subject of black people into the conversation.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Well, you can compare this situation with Marge Schott's tenure with the Cincinnati Reds - it only took two suspensions (and the threat of a third),pressure from her limited partners and three years for baseball to finally get rid of her. And she still stayed as a minority owner.

And since Sterling is the Clippers sole owner, with a net worth of nearly $2 billion and the league's most-tenured owner I don't see him leaving anytime soon (I would be surprised if NBA bylaws would allow the league to force an owner to sell - especially in the case where no laws have been broken). I suspect a long suspension would be order however, mainly because he's a piece of shit.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

That last sentence made me LOL, bobster. :)

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This story is out of control. It's all over the news. The Clippers got destroyed in game 4 and then everybody wants to ask the players about the owner. Oof.

Do you guys think they should have refused to play?

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Mori Chu wrote:This story is out of control. It's all over the news. The Clippers got destroyed in game 4 and then everybody wants to ask the players about the owner. Oof.

It's tabloid life - after all, inquiring minds want to know! :lol:

Hindsight's 20/20, but, had they known they were going to get their asses handed to them, yeah, I think they should've sat this one out. ;)

carey

Post by carey »

Mori Chu wrote:Do you guys think they should have refused to play?
Absolutely not, but I think they should have made a stronger gesture. Turning the warmups inside out was fine, but you have to put something on the line here. Turn the uniforms completely inside out. Something other than a black wrist band.

Everyone see Woj's article this morning that says Sterling should sell the Clippers to Magic Johnson's ownership group for $1B? CLICK!

Meanwhile... Doc said he doesn't know yet if he will be back with the Clippers. That's VERY close to taking a real stand here by putting his job on the line. CLICK!

However, my problem with most of this is that ALL these guys, Rivers included, knew Sterling was a racist bigot to begin with but took his money to play for his team. I'm not saying they are complicit in his behavior by any means, but if they don't do something here, like really do something, it'll give Sterling a free pass basically forever. I'm sure he already feels like money trumps all, but that will prove it.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

Ziller pointed out that even Bette Midler is throwing shade at Sterling.... just lol.

@BetteMidler: Donald Sterling's racist remarks? What he's been saying for yrs. I think he should be stripped of his championship rings. All zero of them.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Mori Chu wrote: Do you guys think they should have refused to play?
Absolutely not. The players play because they love basketball, they play for each other, and they play for the fans. Their job is much bigger than their employer.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Larry Johnson is equally a tool.

If someone suggested a "whites only" league we would be branded as a racist piece of shit.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Mori Chu wrote:This story is out of control. It's all over the news. The Clippers got destroyed in game 4 and then everybody wants to ask the players about the owner. Oof.

if the guys refuse to play, do they still get paid? and if they refuse to play, then they are out of the first round.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

INFORMER wrote:
Absolutely not. The players play because they love basketball, they play for each other, and they play for the fans. Their job is much bigger than their employer.
I agree, the players perform for a bigger reason and crowd than this clown. I would suppose they were not allowed to turn back their uniforms during the game per league regulations or else I would agree that they fell short on the black wrist bands.

But for most of the involved, there was a classic behaviour along the lines of "he has never been racist TOWARDS me, therefore I can deal with him". Not sure the players had extended interactions with Sterling (there is a report that says he rarely goes to the locker room, practices and so), but Rivers, his predecesor and the rest on the front office can not say they just find out what kind of people this (expletive beyond my understanding of the english language) is

SDC

Post by SDC »

INFORMER wrote:
this is a smart move by mark jackson, if it will turn staples center into a non factor.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baske ... -1.1771928
Warriors coach Mark Jackson calls on fans to boycott Game 5 vs. Clippers over Donald Sterling controversy

The former Knick urged fans to stay away from the Staples Center Tuesday night: 'The loudest statement they could make as far as fans is to not show up to the game.'
mark jackson is one of the 3 coaches along with scott brooks and kevin mchale who will be fired this season if they fail to make it past the first round, so this maybe what he feels is the right thing to do, but also a little self serving.

SDC

Post by SDC »

if i were the clippers players, i'd tell the media that from now on we wont be answering any more questions about the sterling situation and would just want to focus on basketball and the playoffs--unless they want to throw away the season.

SDC

Post by SDC »

there's one theory why sterling doesnt like or trust magic johnson to be around his paid girlfriend.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/exit-strat ... 15142.html

magic was the front man for the guggenheim partners who paid an exhorbitant about of money (2 billion) to buy the Dodgers from frank mccourt.