Suns News: Preseason 2017

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
jonh

Re: Suns News: Preseason 2017

Post by jonh »

http://arizonasports.com/story/1263705/ ... s-jackson/

I think I'd rather have Bender come off the bench and play with Ullis more than Bled--I think Ullis has a greater ability to get the ball to guys in the best position to do something with it.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Split T wrote:https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2017 ... ntetokumpo

“We were a bad passing team last year, so we’re trying to put an offense in that try to force you to move the ball. Forces you to swing it from side-to-side,” Dudley said. “We were a good offensive team in transition, but half-court, we would pass the ball once or twice and shoot bad percentages.”
Hopefully this last quote just isn't talk.
Yup , I was just coming to post about this. I already like most of you wanted to see if our offense would once again be so stagnant resulting in Bled/Booker doing too much dribbling or worst yet ending with Chriss in the post with a few seconds left on the shot clock. I appreciate the fact that it has been a point of emphasis means so we can at least hope for more ball and player movement.
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

jonh wrote:Im a little shocked at some of the numbers for Chriss last season, given how high it seems some have been with him.
Where were you this summer?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

jonh wrote: -32% Three point shooter
-4.2 rebounds a game
I didn't even think it was possible to have a negative shooting percentage or negative number of rebounds! :shock:

"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
jonh wrote: -32% Three point shooter
-4.2 rebounds a game
I didn't even think it was possible to have a negative shooting percentage or negative number of rebounds! :shock:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

jonh wrote:http://arizonasports.com/story/1263705/ ... s-jackson/

I think I'd rather have Bender come off the bench and play with Ullis more than Bled--I think Ullis has a greater ability to get the ball to guys in the best position to do something with it.
Agree.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Superbone wrote:
jonh wrote:Im a little shocked at some of the numbers for Chriss last season, given how high it seems some have been with him.
Where were you this summer?
I should have clarified--I was talking about the perception in the media more than the other posters on the board.

I told you it was surprising how bad he was. :D

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

https://twitter.com/esidery/status/915581481128308737

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

One FOURTH of GM's think he will be best, and we drafted him at FOUR.

24% of GMs, and Josh wears 20 and was drafted 4.

*stares at space screen saver for an hour

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

One FOURTH of GM's think he will be best, and we drafted him at FOUR.

24% of GMs, and Josh wears 20 and was drafted 4.

*stares at space screen saver for an hour
*'Bone snaps his fingers and OG continues business as usual.

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

That's damn impressive, given this draft had a ton of talent in Fultz, DSJ, Lonzo, Tatum, Fox. I don't know that he'll be the best but I think he'll be right up there with that group. We didn't miss with him, it just comes down to skillset and what type of player he is. He might not be a 20+ppg scorer like Fultz or DSJ, he won't be a go-to knockdown guy like Tatum, won't be a passer like Ball. I think he'll be a SWAK for us in a very, very good way.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

ShelC wrote:That's damn impressive, given this draft had a ton of talent in Fultz, DSJ, Lonzo, Tatum, Fox. I don't know that he'll be the best but I think he'll be right up there with that group. We didn't miss with him, it just comes down to skillset and what type of player he is. He might not be a 20+ppg scorer like Fultz or DSJ, he won't be a go-to knockdown guy like Tatum, won't be a passer like Ball. I think he'll be a SWAK for us in a very, very good way.
Having seen the fit this summer, do you still feel we would have been better off with Fox or Tatum?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

It's funny because my gut tells me Fox was the guy to take for the simple reason that he fits "the timeline" better with Booker and lead guards like him (or what he's supposed to be) are harder to find than swingmen. I always say swingmen are a dime a dozen. Could we have taken Fox, moved Bledsoe/Knight and found a swing in next year's draft? Probably. 2017 was loaded with guards, 2018 seems to be loaded with frontcourt players.

Don't get me wrong, I love Jackson and his ability and his fit. I just think for planning purposes, we maybe should've gone with Fox. Tatum is a hell of a scorer and I was very high on him as well. We probably didn't need his scoring tho more than JJ versatility if we were intent on going with a swingman.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

All of those guys are going to be good but I do believe we'll be happiest with Jackson in the long run.

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The more I watch JJ, the more I'm impressed with his savvy and smoothness. He plays like a 10 year vet. I don't know that we've had a player like him in recent memory. A SF who can defend, handle the ball, get to the basket, and also get others involved. His jumper still worries me, but he can make his shots in rhythm. Shawn was always more athlete than skilled ball player. Joe Johnson was a scoring guard. Boris was a little similar, but he played more like a big. JJ's a true two way SF.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

JJ did some nice things, but he played like a rookie and was just playing way too fast at times. The 6 turnovers were bad in that they shouldn't have happened, but the good thing is that I think he will improve on that quickly. I predict that he looks much much better as the preseason goes on and then also the season.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Chriss, Bender and Jackson on the floor at the same time was a disaster imo. Not saying that it won't work in time, but they got killed. Bender is not ready to straight up guard a Nurkic type center and he was abused by him in the post and then if you gave him some room, he knocked down the jumper with easy. Please, someone get in Bender's ear and demand that he improve the arc on his shot release. He's missing a great opportunity to become a knock down shooter and is a liability at this time, unless he's feeling it, as a PNP option.

I don't think Chriss is a starter at this time. I know he rolled out there as one, but they seemed to just run out last year's starters. Bender played pretty well with Len and his simplified responsibilities. This team is going to need a player like Len when you need that bigger center who protects the rim, rebounds and plays as a rim running big.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

EDC

Post by EDC »

In2ition wrote:Please, someone get in Bender's ear and demand that he improve the arc on his shot release. He's missing a great opportunity to become a knock down shooter and is a liability at this time, unless he's feeling it, as a PNP option.

Sorry they are too busy telling him to run the fast break after getting a rebound. You know the important stuff. :)

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

ShelC wrote:I don't know that we've had a player like him in recent memory. A SF who can defend, handle the ball, get to the basket, and also get others involved. His jumper still worries me, but he can make his shots in rhythm.
LeBron. Iggy.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
ShelC wrote:I don't know that we've had a player like him in recent memory. A SF who can defend, handle the ball, get to the basket, and also get others involved. His jumper still worries me, but he can make his shots in rhythm.
LeBron. Iggy.
I must have missed those years when the Suns had LeBron and Iggy. ;)