Phoenix Suns Media Day 2019 - Monday, Sept 30

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Nodack

Re: Phoenix Suns Media Day 2019 - Monday, Sept 30

Post by Nodack »

Just watched all the videos from Media Day. I can’t help but get excited.

Ayton green lighted on threes from coach Monty. That’s gonna piss off a few people. All the bigs do it now anyway. I say why not. If he really sucks and becomes old Majerle and starts camping out there and missing too many he can always be reeled in.

SDC

Post by SDC »

i'm not in favor of ayton shooting threes even though he can develop a 3 pt shot. ayton should be advised that he can practice it during off days, but he should never be given the green light to shoot threes during real games, especially if you are close to unstoppable (60% FG) around the basket.
Last edited by SDC on Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think I saw someone (Monty?) say Ayton could be used as a 3pt shooter when trailing on the break. Pretty sure I've seen the Sixers use Embiid that way, grabbing the rebound and then trailing for the 3 at the top of the key.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

If he's shooting the 3's as the trail, most likely the center guarding him has retreated to the paint. This gives him a wide open 3 and if he knocks those down, it causes the defense to play honest with him and opens up the paint when the Suns are pushing the ball, which may have Ayton beating his man down the floor for a dunk or someone else to slash to the basket. This gives Ricky options and he's very good at passing to slashers and cutters. Now, Ayton is going to have to hit those 3s at a decent rate, especially being wide open for it to work, but it could also help him conditionally for a few possessions each game, not having to go basket to basket each time.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

If Ayton can hit the 3 at 36% clip or better, then he should take it. That puts him at a 54% TS%, (which is acceptable), but more importantly, it spaces the hell out of the floor. If you have a line up where all five guys can hit the three, and some of them are great slashers / penetrators (Booker), good freaking luck defending anything. It's part of why the 2009-2010 team was so successful with Channing Frye. Bigs who are great 3 point shooters, who can also rebound are really rare.

In some ways, Rubio could end up being the weakest link on offense.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Wormwood wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:53 am
If Ayton can hit the 3 at 36% clip or better, then he should take it. That puts him at a 54% TS%, (which is acceptable), but more importantly, it spaces the hell out of the floor. If you have a line up where all five guys can hit the three, and some of them are great slashers / penetrators (Booker), good freaking luck defending anything. It's part of why the 2009-2010 team was so successful with Channing Frye. Bigs who are great 3 point shooters, who can also rebound are really rare.

How are you calculating his TS%?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:57 am
Wormwood wrote:

The formula:

If you shoot 36% on threes, your TS% for those shots is 3*.36*FGA/(2*FGA), which comes to .54.

SDC

Post by SDC »

The only reason you want the center to shoot threes is to benefit the guards and give them open lanes to the basket.

But I doubt any of the guards are as efficient around the basket as ayton. And I want him to roll to the basket instead of pop outside.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:44 am
In2ition wrote:
Wormwood wrote:

The formula:

If you shoot 36% on threes, your TS% for those shots is 3*.36*FGA/(2*FGA), which comes to .54.
So you're saying all his shots are 3? I understand how TS% is calculated. I was wondering how Worm was calculating Ayton's. What is his expected PPG, FGAs and FTAs?

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:22 pm
Cap wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:44 am
In2ition wrote:
Wormwood wrote:

The formula:

So you're saying all his shots are 3? I understand how TS% is calculated. I was wondering how Worm was calculating Ayton's. What is his expected PPG, FGAs and FTAs?
No, WW is just saying his TS% on threes would be .540 in that situation, not that his TS% overall would have that value.