Around the league: June 2014

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Around the league: June 2014

Post by Superbone »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Melo is looking to join LBJ and the Heat according to Stein and Windhorst. :roll:
Why don't they just get Love and Bledsoe while they're at it.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Stuff like that is slowly killing my interest in the NBA.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Melo is looking to join LBJ and the Heat according to Stein and Windhorst. :roll:
Is your eye-roll because you think it's a silly rumor, unlikely to be true? Or because you do think it's true and are upset that the 4 stars want to join forces?

I really, really hope it doesn't happen. I hate the current Heat team and the way the stars have joined together to form a super-power like this. I think it's bad for the league. When teams' stars just walk away the effects take years to counteract.

Melo would have to turn down a LOT of money if he wanted to play there, though, which is the most likely reason it will not happen.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I don't care if Melo opts out and goes to the Heat. There aren't people in the NBA I dislike more than Fisher and Jackson. At some point, having Melo on the team will dilute the effectiveness of each of them. It's not like they are going to add 25 pts per game to the total that they are doing right now. I do think that they will be better, but right now, the Spurs look like the better team.

If you want to beat the Heat, you have to put a team together that's better.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

TOO

Post by TOO »

Mori Chu wrote:
Is your eye-roll because you think it's a silly rumor, unlikely to be true? Or because you do think it's true and are upset that the 4 stars want to join forces?

I really, really hope it doesn't happen. I hate the current Heat team and the way the stars have joined together to form a super-power like this. I think it's bad for the league. When teams' stars just walk away the effects take years to counteract.

Melo would have to turn down a LOT of money if he wanted to play there, though, which is the most likely reason it will not happen.
The whole idea of athletes building super teams with their buddies is disgraceful. I really don't get the whole if ya can't beat em join em thing. Thank god for the NHL where rivalries still exist and 1 player cant drastically change the league landscape.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Basketball is one of the only team sports where one player can make such a drastic difference. As a long time basketball player, weekend warrior and coach, I can totally understand wanting to play with your friends and/or situation that suites you the best. I don't have a problem with it under the CBA rules & salary cap, they are sacrificing millions of $ to do this, yet nothing is guaranteed. Nothing is stopping another team of trying to do the same thing, but to a better extent in the Western Conference.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

If there's any truth to this, the heat are going to need to clear as much cap space as they can. We should be on the phone with them offering to buy their first rounder.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Why?! Ryan is already trying to get out of the ones we do have.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I don't think Melo is a great fit in Miami, but they'll win anyway with the talent they have alone. But you know what would be absolutely devastating? If Kevin Love joined them as a free agent. Now that would be a team to watch.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

David Blatt will leave Maccabi Tel Aviv for an unknown position in the NBA.

Blatt has received interest in being hired as an assistant coach by the Golden State Warriors and Utah Jazz. The Cleveland Cavaliers are also believed to be interested in Blatt for their head coaching vacancy.
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/23 ... or-NBA-Job

'bazz has been a fan for a long time. It will interesting to see what job he gets and what kind of impact he'll have.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Another Jackson loyalist, Kurt Rambis, could join the Knicks as Fisher's lead assistant. However, Rambis also remains a favorite for the Lakers' head-coaching position, according to league sources. The Lakers have interviewed at least a half-dozen coaches, but sources say they are focused on three primary candidates: Rambis, Alvin Gentry and Byron Scott.

If I'm a Laker fan, I'm not too giddy about that coaching search. Ditto for the one going on in Cleveland.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

INFORMER wrote:Why?! Ryan is already trying to get out of the ones we do have.
Well, I'm hopeful it's all a smokescreen. But with four first rounders, I'm not opposed to trading some or all of them to move into the top of the draft.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I would love to get Norris Cole. Try to get him, Haslem, and their 1st rounder, and send Haslem to a team like Houston or Sacramento. Cole is another guy I feel you can bring in to play next to Dragic that makes more sense than paying the max to Bledsoe.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I like Cole, but I think he's a significant downgrade from Bledsoe.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Of course he is. Again, I'm not looking for a PG to come in and average 20/6/6. Just a point guard or undersized 2 to defend, hit the 3 ball, and handle the ball a little.

I would also really like the trio of Dragic-Shumpert-Hayward at the 1-2-3 next season.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:
David Blatt will leave Maccabi Tel Aviv for an unknown position in the NBA.

Blatt has received interest in being hired as an assistant coach by the Golden State Warriors and Utah Jazz. The Cleveland Cavaliers are also believed to be interested in Blatt for their head coaching vacancy.
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/23 ... or-NBA-Job

'bazz has been a fan for a long time. It will interesting to see what job he gets and what kind of impact he'll have.
I love David Blatt. He'd be a real coup for Kerr in GS. I think he'd do well with the Cleveland job, although I wonder if a year learning the NBA ropes as an assistant would benefit him more in the long run. Coaches wield a lot more power in FIBA.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I have never liked Norris Cole. He doesn't shoot or pass well enough for me. Seems like a guy who gets the most out of his talents in his current team situation, too. Haslem also falls in that category.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Norris Cole is easily a top-60 point guard in the NBA.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

After an MVP-caliber season in Australia's National Basketball League, Ennis spent the past week working out for the Heat front office in Miami. Ennis, 23, will headline the Heat's Summer League rosters in Orlando and Las Vegas.

The Heat acquired Ennis from the Atlanta Hawks, who selected him with the No. 50 pick. The potential signing of Ennis would likely be a multi-year deal, sources said.

Despite an impressive summer league from Ennis last July, the Heat decided to fill the bench with veteran players and worked closely with Ennis to place him in a viable overseas league. Ennis compiled a title and earned first-team honors with Perth of the NBL, where Miami's management closely monitored the 6-foot-7 forward. He averaged 21.2 points, 7.2 rebounds, two assists and 46.6 percent shooting from the field in the Australian league.
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/23 ... ames-Ennis

Sigh.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

INFORMER wrote:Of course he is. Again, I'm not looking for a PG to come in and average 20/6/6. Just a point guard or undersized 2 to defend, hit the 3 ball, and handle the ball a little.

I would also really like the trio of Dragic-Shumpert-Hayward at the 1-2-3 next season.
I like Hayward as well, but what is he worth to you on the market? What he is worth and what he will get, I think will be two different figures.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”