Suns 2022 Preseason News and Notes

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Suns 2022 Preseason News and Notes

Post by Mori Chu »

Maybe Shamet is better as a backup PG than SG. He seems to suddenly play much better when Payne goes down with an injury. My guess is he just needs to hold the ball in his hands more and isn't as comfortable trying to just be a catch-and-shoot guy.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

This just warms the cockles...

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/347 ... son-voyage

...the last line says it all.

Aside, any wishing we had bloody drafted Haliburton when he was there yet??? Sigh...

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:35 am

Aside, any wishing we had bloody drafted Haliburton when he was there yet??? Sigh...
Thanks for allowing us to relive that, Vlad. An no, I've never heard anybody here that was ever interested in drafting Haliburton or wished we had. Oh, wait. It was EVERYBODY here!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Vladimir_Taltos

Superbone wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:21 am
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:

Thanks for allowing us to relive that, Vlad. An no, I've never heard anybody here that was ever interested in drafting Haliburton or wished we had. Oh, wait. It was EVERYBODY here!
'
The article is on the cover espn this AM, so its relevant...and the rest...sarcasm Sup, sarcasm...given we're now looking to trade Jae for a water boy or some such...

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:30 pm
Superbone wrote:
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:

'
The article is on the cover espn this AM, so its relevant...and the rest...sarcasm Sup, sarcasm...given we're now looking to trade Jae for a water boy or some such...
We should probably wait to see who we trade him for before we start making crazy assumptions like that.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:30 pm
Superbone wrote:
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:

'
One NBA scout offered a sarcastic explanation via text at halftime Thursday night:

"Suns must stink."
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Okogie sounds like a smart guy and a good guy. I hope he's able to make a contribution on the court.

"Be Legendary."

Vladimir_Taltos

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:10 pm
Ooohhhh...
No. I just don't suck down life along side an exhaust pipe for fun. There are some things to be optimistic about.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

https://arizonasports.com/story/3332543 ... to-normal/
Q: Got to clear stuff up. Have you and Monty talked?

DA: “Yeah, most def. I mean, we talk, man. At the end of the day, it’s like we’re trying to contribute to a win. Everything is back to normal. Nothing has changed to be honest. Yeah, I may have come to media day (Sept. 26) just bland, but I wasn’t trying to give nobody no damn story or nothing, but it flipped on me. So, I can’t really say nothing. Just let everybody run away with it. All I know is we’ve been in here working. We’ve been battling each other, beating up each other in training camp. Coach has been loving it.
M-A-X is M-A-X. That’s how I look at it. M-A-X is M-A-X. At the end of the day, yes, we play for money and we have to take care of our families and we’re fortunate enough to play basketball to gain that much money, but at the same time, I’ve got love for the game. I want to have fun when I play. I have a group of guys who I damn near grew up with. I’ve got a couple of best friends on the team. So it’s like, where am I going to go?
So he didn't really care about the amount of money or the number of years. Like I kept saying, it wasn't about the money, he just wanted the respect that his peers got, to be recognized as a max player.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

My take away from that quote wouldn’t be that it wasn’t about money.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

He's saying he didn't care what type of max it was, a max is a max.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

If he didn't care about the money, he would've taken the 4 year max that the the FO was offering last year.

And he says "nothing has changed" right after he says "everything is back to normal". That's like a new Yogi-ism.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:16 pm
If he didn't care about the money, he would've taken the 4 year max that the the FO was offering last year.

And he says "nothing has changed" right after he says "everything is back to normal". That's like a new Yogi-ism.
Exactly

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:40 pm

DA: “Yeah, most def. I mean, we talk, man. At the end of the day, it’s like we’re trying to contribute to a win. Everything is back to normal. Nothing has changed to be honest. Yeah, I may have come to media day (Sept. 26) just bland, but I wasn’t trying to give nobody no damn story or nothing, but it flipped on me. So, I can’t really say nothing. Just let everybody run away with it. All I know is we’ve been in here working. We’ve been battling each other, beating up each other in training camp. Coach has been loving it.
M-A-X is M-A-X. That’s how I look at it. M-A-X is M-A-X. At the end of the day, yes, we play for money and we have to take care of our families and we’re fortunate enough to play basketball to gain that much money, but at the same time, I’ve got love for the game. I want to have fun when I play. I have a group of guys who I damn near grew up with. I’ve got a couple of best friends on the team. So it’s like, where am I going to go?
So he didn't really care about the amount of money or the number of years. Like I kept saying, it wasn't about the money, he just wanted the respect that his peers got, to be recognized as a max player.
What did you think about him saying he is already tired of training?

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:05 pm
But he still wanted a max…he still wanted the money. If he didn’t care about the money he would’ve taken a lesser deal.

I think he’s saying that just to cover himself. I think he wanted nothing short of the 5 year designated rookie max with full escalators and he’s saying a max is a max to avoid having to answer for why he didn’t get the 5 year max from Phoenix.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:26 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:40 pm

What did you think about him saying he is already tired of training?
I must have missed that part.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:18 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:05 pm
But he still wanted a max…he still wanted the money. If he didn’t care about the money he would’ve taken a lesser deal.

I think he’s saying that just to cover himself. I think he wanted nothing short of the 5 year designated rookie max with full escalators and he’s saying a max is a max to avoid having to answer for why he didn’t get the 5 year max from Phoenix.
Of course he wants more money. Come on! Who wouldn’t?! It’s a non-story though. At the end of the day, he got a LOT of money. You move forward now.

"Be Legendary."