Terrence Ross plans to sign with the Phoenix Suns

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
The Bobster

Re: Terrence Ross plans to sign with the Phoenix Suns

Post by The Bobster »

The roster is getting crowded -

C - Deandre Ayton/Bismack Biyombo/Jock Landale
PF - Kevin Durant/T.J. Warren/Darius Bazley
SF - Torrey Craig/Terence Ross/Ish Wainright
SG - Devin Booker/Josh Okogie/Landry Shamet/Damion Lee
PG - Chris Paul/Cameron Payne/Saban Lee
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

Damn, Lee gets put behind a hurt Shamet, you really don’t like him haha

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

JR Smith is a good comp. He can be explosive, hit 6 threes in a quarter kind of player. We need that off the bench I think most of all. I hope Monty's willing to sacrifice Landry's minutes if Ross is playing well enough to take them.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I think Ross will ultimately close games out over Craig

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:25 am
I like that we're getting more options. We can go offense/defense if needed, putting in guys like Okogie, Craig, Biyombo if necessary to get a crucial stop, but then switch to offense and put in the death lineup with the 4 stars plus Ross or D.Lee if we need scoring punch (or even an Ayton-less lineup with both Ross and D.Lee if we need a 3 to end a game).

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:29 am
I know one person who for sure will be a fan of this move is EJ

Every time we've played against him he gives the same scouting report with a lot of

"Man this guy....."
"Have to know where he is at all time"
"Can get hot and give you thirty"

I know Ross has had good games against us over the years so EJ is always quick to send out the warning bell when he would sub in 🤦🏾‍♂️

Yeah Dunk Contest Raptors T-Ross was for sure a thing. I didn't watch the above clips but I guess he should still have some springs left over lol
Have no clue about his D tho but he for sure isn't slow footed so that comes down to effort so I would like to think the guy longing for Playoff ball gonna be hungry
I was listening to a Magic fans’ podcast talk about his game. That he’s becomes inconsistent in recent years. He’s always been the human torch up until the new youth movement. He basically wanted out of their rebuild and is basically only good 1/5 games. He asked out last year during the season and later in the summer wanted out. The fans were disappointed he didn’t step into the veteran role in a bigger way for the youth.
My interpretation has been he has sort of just been coasting last couple of years waiting to go play meaningful basketball again. My assumption is that he sees the writing on the wall. Of course there probably an element in to being streaky but also playing alongside fellow talented players but bo stars.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

specialsauce wrote:
Maybe in certain matchups, but I think it’s most likely to be Craig, Okogie or even Bazley if he picks up the schemes in time. There will be plenty of offensive firepower with the other 4 guys, so they’ll need someone to crash the glass and make effort plays.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:58 am
specialsauce wrote:
Maybe in certain matchups, but I think it’s most likely to be Craig, Okogie or even Bazley if he picks up the schemes in time. There will be plenty of offensive firepower with the other 4 guys, so they’ll need someone to crash the glass and make effort plays.
I pick whoever can be smartest with the ball and play within themselves. I don’t want the ball to end up in Craig’s hands and he makes an awful pass for a turnover like he has over and over again lately. If that’s Bazley, so be it. Okogie, Shamet, Ross, I don’t really care. I just don’t want the least important player on the court losing games for us.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

There’s more than one way to blow a game.

We might be talking about different scenarios. There’s not a clear 5th guy like we’ve had recently with Cam or Crowder, so it’ll likely be a possessions by possession thing in the final minute. But in the 3 minutes prior to that, I want the guy who’s willing to risk it all with hustle plays and defense.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya it’s kinda nice to not have 5 guys who all expect to close. Book and KD are honestly the only ones I am sure will be in our closing lineups. Ayton will almost definitely be out there in most situations, but we’ve seen them pull him for defensive purposes(when we want to switch everything). We also saw us close without CP3 and I think with Book and KD, we can afford to do that now if need be.

That flexibility to close with whoever makes the most sense is kinda nice.

Bucktastic365

Post by Bucktastic365 »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:44 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:58 am
specialsauce wrote:
I pick whoever can be smartest with the ball and play within themselves. I don’t want the ball to end up in Craig’s hands and he makes an awful pass for a turnover like he has over and over again lately. If that’s Bazley, so be it. Okogie, Shamet, Ross, I don’t really care. I just don’t want the least important player on the court losing games for us.

I'm worried our "least important player" will end up being anything but

Who, out of our starting 5, are defences going to let take the shot?
As an opposing coach I would let Okogie, or Craig, or Bazely, or anyone over our big 4.

To me tho, the real worry is CP3.
I'll admit if I'm wrong, but I see coaches daring him to score on them

Split T

Post by Split T »

The thing is CP3 won’t have to create shots…they may dare him to shoot, but he’s been hitting his open 3s this year and that’s what he’d get. Teams will definitely try to force that 5th guy to take shots, but that’s where Ross/Lee come in handy. You can’t really just leave them open.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

makes sense Ross and Lee will be closing. But it comes with its own weaknesses as we have seen how important rebounds are in tight games on the wire. I still worry how teams will scheme against us in the playoffs in-spite of our scoring ability. With KD, I hope Book gets back to his spots again.

To defend the Suns in the playoffs teams will still:
1. Box Out Ayton and get the rebound and out in transition.
2. Make the 5th player take as many shots in the offense.
3. Pick up CP3 fullcourt, wear him out, hunt for him in offense.
4. Defend perimeter.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:39 pm
makes sense Ross and Lee will be closing. But it comes with its own weaknesses as we have seen how important rebounds are in tight games on the wire. I still worry how teams will scheme against us in the playoffs in-spite of our scoring ability. With KD, I hope Book gets back to his spots again.

To defend the Suns in the playoffs teams will still:
1. Box Out Ayton and get the rebound and out in transition.
2. Make the 5th player take as many shots in the offense.
3. Pick up CP3 fullcourt, wear him out, hunt for him in offense.
4. Defend perimeter.
You're not necessarily wrong, but...

1. KD is plenty good enough on the glass, and so are Craig/Okogie. It's not going to be catastrophic if the effort is there.
2. KD is a top 3 isolation scorer in the league. He's going to cover for a lot of low percentage shots from that 5th guy.
3. Booker and KD can bring the ball up court. We've seen the Suns prep this scenario for almost a full year now. I'm not at all concerned about this.
4. They'll more likely prioritize mid-range defense, but again, KD as the isolation scorer and his shooting range will make that more difficult and further expose the interior for Ayton.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I think adding Ross was the right move. His 3-point shooting could be a real difference-maker.

Reggie Jackson probably would have addressed a bigger need, but I am fine with Ross. It's just very scary to know that right now all we have is Saben Lee when CP3 wears down or gets injured again.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Split T

Post by Split T »

And Lee can’t play in the playoffs. Although it does appear Payne is close

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:27 pm
What do you mean Lee can't play in the playoffs? Oh, Saben. Got it.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:28 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:27 pm
What do you mean Lee can't play in the playoffs? Oh, Saben. Got it.
Ha! I thought the same thing...
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Point guard is a really thin position for us. Surprised we haven't done more to address it. I really wish we had been able to snag Reggie Jackson, but in lieu of that, I hope the front office is still working on that position.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:46 pm
Point guard is a really thin position for us. Surprised we haven't done more to address it. I really wish we had been able to snag Reggie Jackson, but in lieu of that, I hope the front office is still working on that position.
It's a decades-old tradition. We have everything we need except a backup point guard.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.