If it were up to you, would you keep Knight or Bledsoe...

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
pickle

Re: If it were up to you, would you keep Knight or Bledsoe..

Post by pickle »

OE32 wrote:
Split T wrote:In reality, we need to blow the team up, but we won't so I'll settle for moving Tucker and Kieff, playing crappy enough to get some decent ping pong balls and getting major lucky in the lottery. Cuz adding Ben Simmons to this team would actually make sense
Or Bender, or Sabonis, or one of the other high-level PF prospects that will be in this year's lotto...
Those two names brought me back to the past... Jonathan Bender anyone?

pickle

Post by pickle »

As I said in the other game day thread, I have missed several games in a row now so I assume a lot of this anger towards the two guards is due to the losing and also to performances Knight has put up over the last few games.

(cue broken record) I'm not too upset with the losing. Let them lose and learn. I am happy to see that Markieff is being moved out of the rotation, and at least with the Bulls game the young guys are getting relevant minutes in late game situations. Let them learn to play under pressure and if we learn, then I'm sure they'll grow from the experience. And that includes Bledsoe and Knight. Both are veterans by this team's standards but both are also just about 25. They can still get better.

As for either guy playing the pg role, I'm as conflicted as most of the responses. I remember the one game I watched where Bledsoe was out, Knight clearly played much more like a pg, looking to set his teammates up before himself. Also reading the news stories about him, I feel like he is a smart player, even if his bball IQ may not be the highest. To me the distinction is on court vs. off court improvements. A smart player should know what to work on in practice and during the summer to become more effective, while a guy with high bball IQ would not make the same mistake twice on the basketball court. So I can see Knight improving his handles which would make him that much more effective off the dribble; also if I could wish for two things at a time I'd wish for him to improve shooting around the rim. As long as he is a willing passer I'm okay with the results more or less. My real problem with him is defense. His feet seem very dead and he bites on fakes far too easily, which I have no idea how you fix... Footwork drills?

Bledsoe on the other hand seems to suffer from a lack of concentration. He does indeed have the strength and speed and tenacity to be a pitbull on defense. Sometimes said pitbull cannot stop himself from over-shooting a play, but the effort is there and it's somewhat infectious. So yeah, even though I bag on him for lacking leadership, the tenacity makes up for it a little bit. His shot is slow, and not always accurate, and he has the same issues passing the ball as Knight. His numbers are up, but his game play has clearly not instituted a culture of passing on the team, but I guess between the two I can live with Bledsoe more as the lone pg.

I think this year it might be tough to move either player. But next year once the salaries start trending up, if we feel like it I imagine either could be a useful trade chip.

But for the record, I don't think we should be blowing anything up just yet. Move Markieff and PJ Tucker, and let the rest play itself out. I can get behind a semi-tanking strategy.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

The NBA is oozing with talent at PG but I think you don't have any problem moving either guard if you are not making absurd demands. Both are having statistically a career year, are young, healthy and under good long term contracts.

carey

Post by carey »

I don't think moving Markieff and Tucker means we are tanking. In fact I think it means we are serious about getting better.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

This is going to be unpopular after his recent late game meltdowns, but I think I'd rather keep Knight.

I'd trade either if the package was right though.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

I would trade Knight. Bledsoe's D has already won games for us this year. I also think that Bledsoe pairs better with Booker.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JCSunsfan wrote:I would trade Knight. Bledsoe's D has already won games for us this year. I also think that Bledsoe pairs better with Booker.
Agreed. And again, I don't think we need to keep either. But we can't keep both.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

carey wrote:I don't think moving Markieff and Tucker means we are tanking. In fact I think it means we are serious about getting better.
PJ's deal has 1 more year after this? Is that correct?
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Indy wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:I would trade Knight. Bledsoe's D has already won games for us this year. I also think that Bledsoe pairs better with Booker.
Agreed. And again, I don't think we need to keep either. But we can't keep both.
I'm happy keeping both this year and rotating them with Booker. No need to throw Devin into the fire so quickly. I'm even okay going with all three next season. After that? Probably not.

Interestingly, though, it appears that Book is a better passer than either of them. :shock:

Indy

Post by Indy »

OE32 wrote:
Indy wrote:
I'm happy keeping both this year and rotating them with Booker. No need to throw Devin into the fire so quickly. I'm even okay going with all three next season. After that? Probably not.
I think you do throw him into the fire. It is how you learn.
OE32 wrote:Interestingly, though, it appears that Book is a better passer than either of them. :shock:
At this point I think I might be a better passer than either of them.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Indy wrote:
OE32 wrote:
Indy wrote:
OE32 wrote:Interestingly, though, it appears that Book is a better passer than either of them. :shock:
He is a very good passer. He might be the better fit than Knight in a 2 combo guard offense. Booker might be able to play pg in this league and certainly can be a combo guard. His advantage is that he is a better shooter than either of our other guards and he is 6-6.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Indy wrote:
OE32 wrote:
Indy wrote:
He is a very good passer. He might be the better fit than Knight in a 2 combo guard offense. Booker might be able to play pg in this league and certainly can be a combo guard. His advantage is that he is a better shooter than either of our other guards and he is 6-6.
That's saying something, considering Bled and Knight both shoot 40% from 3!!

I noticed last night that our guards were making a concerted effort to get Len the ball. If Hornacek has convinced them that passing is of some value, then that changes things for me. No reason to move one of Bled or Knight unless we get something of real value in return - but Saric and a pick would do it. Any interest, Jerry?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Any interest, Jerry?
Pretty sure Jerry wouldn't want to be helping Sarver at this point.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Indy wrote:
Any interest, Jerry?
Huge hole at PG, and not exactly a bevy of promising PG prospects in this year's draft. I'm sure he'd prefer to move Noel rather than Saric, but we have two of the best young PG's in the NBA. I'd think he'd be interested in order to help the Sixers, not the Suns.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Any interest, Jerry?
Pretty sure Jerry wouldn't give two shits about any personal grudges with Sarver. He is an advisor to the Sixers, and if he believes a deal would be in the Sixers' best interests, that would be his advice.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Indy wrote:
Any interest, Jerry?
Pretty sure Jerry wouldn't give two shits about any personal grudges with Sarver. He is an advisor to the Sixers, and if he believes a deal would be in the Sixers' best interests, that would be his advice.
I think he would be more likely to rake him over the coals, if he could. He's plays the Chicago way.

carey

Post by carey »

Sunsfan4life wrote:
carey wrote:I don't think moving Markieff and Tucker means we are tanking. In fact I think it means we are serious about getting better.
PJ's deal has 1 more year after this? Is that correct?
Partial guarantee next year for $1.7M. We save $3.8M if we cut him.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Indy wrote:
Cap wrote:
Indy wrote:
Any interest, Jerry?
I think he would be more likely to rake him over the coals, if he could. He's plays the Chicago way.
Nah. I am with Cap on this. Jerry will advise what is best for Philly, period. The only way you get a good deal with Philly right now is to make it mutually beneficial.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:...or C, none of the above?

I realize that this is very much borderline thread-worthy, but it's obviously clear that neither Bledsoe or Knight are point guards.

Assuming we abandon the theoretical two-PG philosophy (which you'd think would happen with a new coach...maybe?), where, in the mind of phx-suns.net, does that leave Brandon Knight and Eric Bledsoe?

For me, they're both talented, athletic players - but lacking in Bball IQ immensely. And, in Knight's case especially, lacking in consistency from game to game (sometimes in the same game).

We'd obviously be able to get talent back for these two guys, so again, put on your collective GM caps and tell me what you'd do!

Nodack:

Kailsh, when it rises.

Darmok and Jalad, at Tanagra

Shaka, when the walls fell.
Kailsh, when it rises. -Sacrifice

Darmok and Jalad, at Tanagra - Cooperation

Shaka, when the walls fell. - Failure

Sokath, his eyes uncovered.

The beast at Tanagra

Picard and Dathon at El-Adrel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They both have weaknesses no doubt but, I have been enjoying their play and don't think they are as horrible as we make them out to be. Bledsoe and Knight are having career years. They are both offensive minded shoot first pass if all other options are taken type guys which is in stark contrast to what we have gotten used to with Nash. We are used to pick/screen & rolls all night long and that stopped when Nash left.

They have tried to feed Len the ball a lot early on in the year and 90% became turn overs. Shaka when the walls fell. Now they use Len as a decoy but, rarely attempt to pass it to him in the paint anymore. Is that their fault, Lens fault or the coaches fault? I think all of their faults. Len lost his mojo to start the season but, has been getting it back with all the minutes played with Chandler being out. They need to figure it out together. "Darmok and Jalad, at Tanagra." Not sure how much actual practice time they get during the busy season.

Booker hooked up with Len nicely rolling to the basket last night. I think we all see Booker as becoming a starter sooner than later. Not this year probably unless Knight or Bledsoe get hurt and that's probably a good thing. I could see Booker starting next year if he keeps this up.

Bledsoe and Knight haven't shown themselves to be great point guards. They are really combo guards and they both split the duties. I like the concept. Not one Nash out there that runs the whole team so, you just double team Nash like SA and force the other guys to makes plays. Shaka when there walls fell. They both have mad offensive skills. They need to work on assist skills and defensive skills to be effective for the team. Maybe you can't teach an old dog new tricks. They aren't that old yet. Yes, Knight can be streaky. There are tons of streaky players in the NBA. I think we Suns fans have no patience.

I am OK with both Bledsoe and Knight. I think we stick with them this year. Continue developing the young guys and see where we are at the end of the season. I think as a GM you don't get to just pick the players you want. You don't get to pick Curry and say we will trade you Knight and Morris for him. Kalish, when it rises.

I think our biggest weakness is defense and a dominate inside PF. We have too good centers. One isn't playing and for the team I think it is great for Len to get the minutes with the old guy Chandler getting rest. A young rebounding Amare II is what we need. Morris has lost his opportunity. Leuer has been playing much better than I had anticipated but, he is more of an offensive player than defensive. Teletovic has shown himself to be a great 3 point shooter but, once again more of an offensive guy and not a rebounding, points in the paint stopper guy. They are both great weapons with Leuer being the best on defense IMO. I think both guys are useable players.

To sum up. Yes trade either or both Bledsoe or Knight if you get a great offer for an All Star PG. If that doesn't happen then hang onto them this year and try to make it work.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Kailsh, when it rises. -Sacrifice

Darmok and Jalad, at Tanagra - Cooperation

Shaka, when the walls fell. - Failure

Sokath, his eyes uncovered.

The beast at Tanagra

Picard and Dathon at El-Adrel

... One of the better TNG episodes, for sure ...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?