Game Day: Suns (13-27) @ Celtics (20-19), Fri 1/15/16

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
EDC

Re: Game Day: Suns (13-27) @ Celtics (20-19), Fri 1/15/16

Post by EDC »

Sunsfan4life wrote:Showcasing Morris I'm guessing.

Booker with only 2mins? This is cause of foul trouble I hope and not injury related?
It is that quality coaching again. Same crap he does to Len. Two quick fouls so he decides to just not play him the rest of the half. Where normal coaches would let them have minutes in the 2nd quarter.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Weems has more minutes than Tj, Weems has more minutes than Tj,

f*ck this we cant even tank properly. The idea is to play the younger guys. No point tanking to get a good draft pick and not utilising that player

Also just let the young guys use up all their fouls. Maybe pull them aside and give them some pointers but don't just bench them endlessly to finish with 2 fouls even if they were quick ones...................we are losing any way whats the harm

EDC

Post by EDC »

Did they say anything about Leuer working through his injury? Seven minutes so far is pretty light for him.

EDC

Post by EDC »

Our sub pattern is so weird. It really wouldn't surprise me if Tucker was sharing a pregame warmup with coach.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

*barf*

This season is well beyond over. Let's all start thinking about next season and talking draft. Projected top 3?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

TOO

Post by TOO »

AmareIsGod wrote:*barf*

This season is well beyond over. Let's all start thinking about next season and talking draft. Projected top 3?
Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram, Jaylen Brown. Kris Dunn has looked outstanding as well.

carey

Post by carey »

My favorites in order: Simmons, Ingram, Bender, Labissiere. Then outside of the top 5 I really like Melo Trimble. I think he's Bledsoe with a jump shot.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

I also really like Grayson Allen, can shoot, pass, great athlete, he'll get dumb racial comparisons like Bob Sura/Rex Chapman/JJ Redick, but he can play.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

wish there were more trade rumours around to keep things interesting

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Danimal wrote:wish there were more trade rumours around to keep things interesting
There's zero trade rumors among any teams right now. I think most teams in the league are content with we're their at right now.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Well, since we're taking the low road (think 76ers,) why be brash about it. Can I nominate:

Starting PG: The Gorilla
PF: Al McCoy
C: The 3 year old in the Section 201, Row 14, Seat 7
SF: An empty pair of Air Jordans
SG: Any current Suns player, but wrapped up in bubble wrap

Bench...NONE

Enjoy...
VT

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Danimal wrote:Weems has more minutes than Tj, Weems has more minutes than Tj,

f*ck this we cant even tank properly. The idea is to play the younger guys. No point tanking to get a good draft pick and not utilising that player

Also just let the young guys use up all their fouls. Maybe pull them aside and give them some pointers but don't just bench them endlessly to finish with 2 fouls even if they were quick ones...................we are losing any way whats the harm
You can't do that. In order to develop the young guys you have to hold them accountable for their play. Stupid fouls get you a seat on the bench. Just giving them play without accountability does not help them, it just reinforces bad habits.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:Well, since we're taking the low road (think 76ers,)
You say that like the Suns are choosing to suck; they're not. This is just an awful team made possible by horrendous roster building.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

INFORMER wrote:
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:Well, since we're taking the low road (think 76ers,)
You say that like the Suns are choosing to suck; they're not. This is just an awful team made possible by horrendous roster building.
I have no desire to chase you away with criticism, but if you were GM, we'd still be running Dragic-Frye pick-and-rolls every night. Don't know how that gets us any closer to a championship...

Last night's game was awful. Avery Bradley looked better than Brandon Knight. Mirza was our best player. Tyson played particularly bad, and none of our young players showed much - though I did like what I saw out of Archie. He's more patient, understands the offense better, and I was really impressed with his ability to chase guards around screens. My bet is he'll stick around through the deadline.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

OE32 wrote: but if you were GM, we'd still be running Dragic-Frye pick-and-rolls every night
What makes you say that? I liked Dragic over Bledsoe, but I certainly wasn't married to him. And I was in favor of letting Frye go.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

INFORMER wrote:
OE32 wrote: but if you were GM, we'd still be running Dragic-Frye pick-and-rolls every night
What makes you say that? I liked Dragic over Bledsoe, but I certainly wasn't married to him. And I was in favor of letting Frye go.
Gotcha. Most of what I've seen of your criticisms haven't involved many useful alternatives... not that any of us are in a position to offer such. You were correct in anticipating that these rosters wouldn't work, but many of the moves McD has made have added long-term value. And I've found it hard to complain about his draft performance, which is the reason for so much optimism going forward.

I advocated trading Dragic all of last year... thought he was so obviously overrated by Suns fans... and now that he's struggling in MIA, I see many (on other forums, mostly) saying that they all predicted it. I remember few such predictions when everyone around here was hailing Dragic as "3rd Team All-NBA Goran Dragic!" I always said he'd never have another year like that one - not as bold an assertion as some thought it at the time, in retrospect.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

And INF was right about that. Dragic was the keeper of the bunch, if any of them were.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

I believe Dragic and Booker would have been a nice pair to build on...sad.

VT

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Liking Dragic here doesn't presume that he's destined for greatness elsewhere. Me personally, I didn't complain one bit when Dragic got traded; at that point the Suns didn't have a choice. It was just ridiculous the Suns put themselves in that position to create such a mess.

And the Suns present situation as well as past transactions goes far beyond Dragic, so I'm not sure why you want to whittle it down to just that sticking point. I get that you weren't a Dragic guy,but it doesn't change the fact that he was really good while he was here, so I'm not sure there is any "I told you so card" you can play there.
when everyone around here was hailing Dragic as "3rd Team All-NBA Goran Dragic!"
Was that an exaggeration? Did it not count? The management you seem to love hailed Brandon Knight as an "almost All-Star." You really find that more credible?
Most of what I've seen of your criticisms haven't involved many useful alternatives
So is your criticism that I don't offer any alternatives (because that's absurd) or that you don't find my alternatives useful? If it is the latter, I'm sorry, but you are entitled to your own opinion. And someone who is in McDonough's corner certainly wouldn't like my "alternatives."

EDC

Post by EDC »

I think the one big mistake was doubling down on guards that can't pass. The Knight acquisition has looked pretty awful so far. The rest of the team isn't built so badly.

The problem is that NBA players can just decide to not give a shit and bring down a team from the inside. It was one thing to assume Kieff would be upset. He ignored all attempts to reach out to him over the summer. I just don't think anyone really believed he would throw in the towel like he has.

The lack of quick response to his attitude and lack of caring has really worn down this team. Other players probably see him getting away with it without any real punishment and just start to say why bother.

If a trade wasn't an option at the time they should have sent him home and kept him away from the team. Instead of that we now have a team that has just given up. That was even before any injuries happened.

I really do think if one of our guards could actually run an offense and Kieff wasn't being such a bitch we would have had a solid chance at the 8th seed. While still running with some good young talent.

It is hard to tell if McD is being indecisive or if there is some demand from Sarver that he is working around.
Last edited by EDC on Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.