Around the League: Week 17 2/15-2/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Around the League: Week 17 2/15-2/21

Post by Mori Chu »

That Vince-over-Weis dunk might be the best in-game dunk in the history of basketball.

carey

Post by carey »

The Kings pulled a Snus and fired one of George Karl's assistants. In this case it is long-time assistant Vance Walberg. I feel like the Kings did this hoping that Karl would resign whereas I think the Snus were grasping at straws. Who really knows what the Kings are thinking these days though?

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/in-a-move ... 23548.html
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Kings make no sense. Now they're looking to trade for Shump and Gasol. What for? They have a headcase franchise player, their 2nd best player is also nuts, they have a coach who was nearly fired a week ago, a GM/Exec who's never run a team and an owner who's a star f**ker. Get your house in order.

Then again, as a Sun fan, who am I to talk.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Yeah, what a shit show. They have some talent like Boogie and Rondo, but their roster is deeply flawed, their coach is tuned out, their GM is incompetent, their owner is in his Sarver 2004 phase, and the whole place just doesn't seem to have any adults working there to keep things stable.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

carey wrote:The Kings pulled a Snus and fired one of George Karl's assistants. In this case it is long-time assistant Vance Walberg. I feel like the Kings did this hoping that Karl would resign whereas I think the Snus were grasping at straws. Who really knows what the Kings are thinking these days though?

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/in-a-move ... 23548.html
Oh wow, Vance Walberg is the inventor and creator of the DDM offense, that has been made famous by Calipari and his teams at Memphis and Kentucky.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

pickle

Post by pickle »

I too think that Bosh's professional basketball career is over. Unless Miami can work up the stomach to move Wade (can't see it happening) and trying to rebuild around Dragic and Whiteside, I guess they are going to stink for the foreseeable future. Those picks are looking pretty good now.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Just saw this on ESPN. Has anybody seen these reports about Harden and Howard trying to get the other guy traded? That felt a little bit out of the blue.
Elhassan: J.B. Bickerstaff. Poor J.B., he's got to walk into a locker room knowing that (a) a report came out that Dwight Howard and James Harden tried to get each other traded in a previous season; (b) Dwight Howard, Trevor Ariza and Patrick Beverley were all allegedly shopped heavily this week; and (c) he himself called this team a broken bunch.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Dwight's a real stand up guy.

FWIW, I'd take Harden in a heartbeat.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Harden is a polarizing player, for sure. I'm scared of his attitude issues and at this point I guess I'd rather we sit on our assets and let them develop for a year or two. As in, go through a real rebuild, not trying to accelerate it through miracle moves.

TOO

Post by TOO »

pickle wrote:Harden is a polarizing player, for sure. I'm scared of his attitude issues and at this point I guess I'd rather we sit on our assets and let them develop for a year or two. As in, go through a real rebuild, not trying to accelerate it through miracle moves.
How much of his attitude can be attributed to Howard? This is the 2nd time in as many stops that Howard hasn't gotten along with the teams marquee player.

pickle

Post by pickle »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote: How much of his attitude can be attributed to Howard? This is the 2nd time in as many stops that Howard hasn't gotten along with the teams marquee player.
Definitely not a Howard fan. In fact I'm curious if anyone will give him anything close to the max this summer. My guess is he should play the final year of this current contract, try to get his body and mind right, if he really wants to cash in on that one last big contract. He is not exactly lighting the league on fire, which itself is rapidly moving in a different direction as far as the evolution of the game goes.

As for Harden, I'd always thought his decline this season was due to the Kardashian connection.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The Rockets are as much to blame. Morey, for all his analytics BS, goes out and tries to get every star player. Harden is a ball dominating chucker who, like Melo and Iverson, just needs role players around him. Shooters and defenders. Howard, if he just focused on rebounding and defending, would be fine. But in his mind, he's Shaq. I also don't think McHale is a top level coach, so they've basically wasted a few years there. If you go out and get stars, you need the best coach you can get.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Totally agree. Mutumbo type would fit much better than Howard type.

In a separate note, Danny Ainge has aged a lot.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celt ... for_summer

carey

Post by carey »

You know, I had no idea that the Celtics were 3rd in the East, and 10 games above .500. That's very impressive for the roster they have assembled. Brad Stevens is everything they said he was, isn't he? I think it was smart for them to stand pat and reassess at draft time. Cashing in picks for a guy like Horford would have made them better probably doesn't help them beat Cleveland or Toronto. Love makes so much sense for that team (as much as he does the Suns) but the Cavs need players that will help them win now. I don't know who that is exactly though because they basically need Kawhi Leonard. Barring an elite shut down defender I can't see who they can add that would help them beat Golden State.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

[youtube][/youtube]
Lol

Cap

Post by Cap »

Nothing there... Copyright violation.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Really? It shows up on my laptop just fine. :/

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:Nothing there... Copyright violation.
Only for you, pal!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

SDC

Post by SDC »

mcdo got elbowed in the head

SDC

Post by SDC »

the Heat finally playing seven seconds or less basketball...