Western Conference Round 2, Game 4: Nuggets (2-1) @ Suns (1-2), Sun 5/07/23

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Drewsprocket

Re: Western Conference Round 2, Game 4: Nuggets (2-1) @ Suns (1-2), Sun 5/07/23

Post by Drewsprocket »

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-playoffs-n ... 48952.html
Holy shit. Jokic just went into the fans to snatch the ball and shove Ishbia back? Wtf! That’s a suspension. I don’t want him suspended so Nuggets can cry about losing but there isn’t a scenario where a player can just approach fans all pissed off like that, make contact and act like a big victim. That’s just a big no no. And it doesn’t matter what was said. He approached and made contact to grab the ball and then shoved.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 3:53 am
The Jokic-Ishbia stuff is dumb. By the rule he should probably be suspended, but I don't think Silver's League Office will do it. They want players playing and TV ratings in the playoffs. Fines for both and move on.
Wish that was the sentiment back in the day when Amare and Diaw were suspended, but yeah.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 5:26 am
Anyone else watching think Ishbia was being dumb by not giving the ball up? I know he was giving J.O. time to get back on the court but it was kind of stupid on his part.
No, I like what he did.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 8:17 am
https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-playoffs-n ... 48952.html
Holy shit. Jokic just went into the fans to snatch the ball and shove Ishbia back? Wtf! That’s a suspension. I don’t want him suspended so Nuggets can cry about losing but there isn’t a scenario where a player can just approach fans all pissed off like that, make contact and act like a big victim. That’s just a big no no. And it doesn’t matter what was said. He approached and made contact to grab the ball and then shoved.
And like Malone himself said, he doesn't give a shit if he's an owner. So treat him like any random fan that got elbowed back into their seat.

"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

What a game! My wife and I got there about 40 minutes before tip-off. We had such great seats (section 105, row 18, seats 1 and 2 right next to section 104). There was a Spinatos right outside of our section so I ordered a personal pizza for us to share while we watched pre-game warmups and enjoyed the atmosphere. They had black Rally The Valley shirts on every seat. XL. It was funny. As more people came in, they did what we did and looked at the shirts on seats around them to find a size other than XL. I also had a Church Music IPA for $22 (WTF!).

The starting lineups were so much fun to watch (why they don't show these on TV baffles me). The national anthem was beautifully sang. The game was an absolute blast. It's crazy how the speakers pipe in "DE-FENSE! DE-FENSE!". How apparent it is that it isn't the fans in the arena. People were loud and amazing. The atmosphere is insane. It's just apparent how artificial the DE-FENSE chant is in person.

The place erupted during the 3 offensive rebounds by Ayton to start the game. My wife was going nuts too. Loved seeing Booker continue to be the best player in the NBA. Durant had it going. The Ishbia altercation was the opposite corner of where we sat. The entire arena became very angry and hostile during that play and there was so much vitriol towards Jokic the rest of the game. We didn't really know what happened other than a Suns fan getting ejected. The guy in front of us pulled up the play on Twitter so I was able to figure it out (and then checked it on my phone). Wild! The best play of the game and amazing to see in person was the full court fling by Booker to Durant for the end of quarter all net shot. Shamet made so many shots that we both ate all of our words we've spoken ill about him this postseason. He even looked at my wife and I and licked his lips after his 2nd 3-pointer and we just knew he had it going at that point.

Hell of a game. Worth every penny. Her first game since she was a kid and my first postseason game since I was a kid. We had a blast. GO SUNS!
Last edited by AmareIsGod on Mon May 08, 2023 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 9:16 am
carey wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 5:26 am
Anyone else watching think Ishbia was being dumb by not giving the ball up? I know he was giving J.O. time to get back on the court but it was kind of stupid on his part.
No, I like what he did.
Ishbia is cool in my book, that flop was stuff LeBron would be proud of.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

A couple other thoughts -

Still think KD is ISOing too much on AG, who's typically done a good job on him defensively. Would like to see him in more action, but he's also getting to the basket regularly which is really hurting the Nuggets.

DA with 8/8 and -14 but you could feel his impact and energy/hustle. It's never been about numbers with him (except maybe to him).

Shamet's game last night doesn't wipe away the last 2 1/2 years of garbage for me, but glad he came thru because we've needed that one other guy to hit shots. If he keeps it up, great. If he breaks out for the rest of the playoffs, even better. Maybe now that we have KD, we can ask Shamet to play less on the ball and let him catch and shoot on kickouts. Maybe those are just better shots for him.

Still really like Ross as a threat. Wish we could get him more opportunities. I don't know that TJ's best shot is a corner 3, he's much better on the move and in transition but that's what the role calls for.

It's funny seeing other fans still underrating Book and putting him in categories with players like SGA. Or moving him up their list of best players but still putting him behind guys like Tatum and Kawhi. They just have no idea.

I do think CP should be brought off the bench but it won't happen. We know we play faster without him, we saw the same thing when he was out early in the year and Cam started. But more than that, Cam is a threat in transition and off the ball which is needed with Book and KD. CP's been more or less relegated to decoy in the corner when he's deferring to Book and KD.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

ShelC wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 12:31 pm
A couple other thoughts -

Still think KD is ISOing too much on AG, who's typically done a good job on him defensively. Would like to see him in more action, but he's also getting to the basket regularly which is really hurting the Nuggets.

DA with 8/8 and -14 but you could feel his impact and energy/hustle. It's never been about numbers with him (except maybe to him).

Shamet's game last night doesn't wipe away the last 2 1/2 years of garbage for me, but glad he came thru because we've needed that one other guy to hit shots. If he keeps it up, great. If he breaks out for the rest of the playoffs, even better. Maybe now that we have KD, we can ask Shamet to play less on the ball and let him catch and shoot on kickouts. Maybe those are just better shots for him.

Still really like Ross as a threat. Wish we could get him more opportunities. I don't know that TJ's best shot is a corner 3, he's much better on the move and in transition but that's what the role calls for.

It's funny seeing other fans still underrating Book and putting him in categories with players like SGA. Or moving him up their list of best players but still putting him behind guys like Tatum and Kawhi. They just have no idea.

I do think CP should be brought off the bench but it won't happen. We know we play faster without him, we saw the same thing when he was out early in the year and Cam started. But more than that, Cam is a threat in transition and off the ball which is needed with Book and KD. CP's been more or less relegated to decoy in the corner when he's deferring to Book and KD.
THIS. 100% To me, if you don't appreciate Devin Booker, it's the equivalent of, "Tell me you don't watch the games without telling me you don't watch the games..." I live near Salt Lake City and the odd amount of hate and/or dismissiveness that Booker gets around here is unreal to me.

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

I also think regular season and playoffs are different animals. For example, Jimmy Butler is easily a top 10 playoffs guy but only about top 25 regular season. Booker is like that as well. Regular season, guys like Trae and Morant might be on the same level as him, but no way I’d want those guys on my playoff team over Booker. Right now we have 2 of the top 6 playoff guys on our team. Problem is Denver has numero uno.

They discussed this on Simmons’ pod and I agree

They had
Jokic
Curry
Butler
Booker
Tatum/Durant

Then
AD
Lebron
Harden
Embid

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

MightyMoog wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 1:59 pm
I also think regular season and playoffs are different animals. For example, Jimmy Butler is easily a top 10 playoffs guy but only about top 25 regular season. Booker is like that as well. Regular season, guys like Trae and Morant might be on the same level as him, but no way I’d want those guys on my playoff team over Booker. Right now we have 2 of the top 6 playoff guys on our team. Problem is Denver has numero uno.

They discussed this on Simmons’ pod and I agree

They had
Jokic
Curry
Butler
Booker
Tatum/Durant

Then
AD
Lebron
Harden
Embid
Does Denver have numero uno? I think Booker strikes more fear than Jokic in the postseason. Jokic is the ultimate Swiss Army Knife but he's not a killer like Booker.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton