Who Do You Want as the Next Head Coach?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Who do you want as the next Suns coach?

Tom Thibodeau
24%
Mike D’Antoni
8%
Kevin McHale
No votes
Scott Brooks
No votes
Steve Nash
3%
Luke Walton
11%
Becky Hammon
18%
Nate McMillian
No votes
Mark Jackson
3%
Tyronn Lue
No votes
Eddie Johnson
5%
Jeff Van Gundy
8%
Vinny Del Negro
No votes
Sean Miller
3%
Kevin Ollie
3%
Terry Porter
3%
Gene Hackman’s character from Hoosiers
3%
Your poll sucks. Keep Jeff.
5%
Other (Specify in your post)
5%

Total votes: 38

Mori Chu

Re: Who Do You Want as the Next Head Coach?

Post by Mori Chu »

Continuity is good if you have players that can grow, and a system that can help them do it. You should be patient with a guy like Booker, like Warren, like Len. Maybe less so with a Bledsoe or a Knight, guys who just don't understand their position and show no signs of doing so over years of play.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Prior to the injury, I would've trusted Bledsoe more at the point with Booker in the backcourt than Knight. I think their games complemented each other a bit more. Now, who knows.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

ShelC wrote:Prior to the injury, I would've trusted Bledsoe more at the point with Booker in the backcourt than Knight. I think their games complemented each other a bit more. Now, who knows.
That was my opinion as well.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
ShelC wrote:Prior to the injury, I would've trusted Bledsoe more at the point with Booker in the backcourt than Knight. I think their games complemented each other a bit more. Now, who knows.
At least Bledsoe doesn't make up his mind what he is going to do before half-court. You can see it in BK's eyes what he is going to do.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
At least Bledsoe doesn't make up his mind what he is going to do before half-court. You can see it in BK's eyes what he is going to do.
No, Bledsoe has to wait until he's in the air to decide.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
No, Bledsoe has to wait until he's in the air to decide.
I debated for about 2 minutes whether or not to add that snarky comment to my original post. Ultimately, I decided it was so well set up for someone else, I would cut it. Thanks for picking it up Supe!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This thread is the gift that keeps on giving.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Mori Chu wrote:This thread is the gift that keeps on giving.
Which is more than we can say about the current version of the Suns, easily one of the worst passing teams in the franchise's history. They have less ball movement than a pair Spandex bicycle shorts ...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

TOO

Post by TOO »

LazarusLong wrote:
Which is more than we can say about the current version of the Suns, easily one of the worst passing teams in the franchise's history. They have less ball movement than a pair Spandex bicycle shorts ...
Something something Lance Armstrong something something.

Indy

Post by Indy »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
LazarusLong wrote:
Something something Lance Armstrong something something.
doping? cheating? lying? Take your pick. You're limited to just one!

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I have a hard time judging coaches. To me they are more professional bay sitters than anything else. Judging substitution patterns and timeouts is just a small part of what they do and we don't really see 90% of what they do IMO. Hornecek was a smart player. He didn't rely on physical skills as much as he relied on his smarts to get by. I am not going to say he is good or bad. I really don't know. The team isn't winning and that means it was his fault and they need to hire another coach for another three years until we decide he sucks too. Then we can hire another guy in three years until we decide he sucks too. Then we can hire another guy....

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I've never once advocated firing Hornacek (I think there's a good coach in there, somewhere), but I think it might be time. He's clearly lost this team and hasn't really shown much ability to coach a winning defense.

To me the main reason to let him go (if he's not going to be our coach next season - and it's hard to envision a scenario where he is) is to see what we have in Watson or Bjorkgren. We have an opportunity to give them some actual NBA head coaching experience to determine if they're more Steve Clifford/Budenholzer or Lindsay Hunter. I would feel a lot more comfortable handing one of them the reins next season with that knowledge.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

You can't fire him now. We need to finish the season with a reasonable chance to win the lottery.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:You can't fire him now. We need to finish the season with a reasonable chance to win the lottery.

You can see if someone is a good coach with bad players better than the other way around. So I don't think finding out they are decent would mean us winning more games (necessarily).

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It was tongue in cheek, and I can see your point. I think part of the teams problems have been how he is using the bench though.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

Oh, I know it wasn't completely serious. And I agree our rotations have been crazy. My only hope is that it is clear to players before they night of the game what is expected of them to get time (or if they won't get time no matter what that night due to something).

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Maybe Blatt should be added to the poll :)