Game Day: Lakers (0-1) @ Suns (0-0), Wed 10/29/14

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JCSunsfan

Re: Game Day: Lakers (0-1) @ Suns (0-0), Wed 10/29/14

Post by JCSunsfan »

Kobe did the same thing to Dwight the other night. Someone is going to take his head off soon.

sunset rubdown

Post by sunset rubdown »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Heh. It's funny how History robs some deserving teams from true greatness.
Yep, that Sacramento team with Divac, Webber, Peja, Christie, Bibby etc. was in line with our SSOL teams as the most entertaining basketball ever. They should have one ring at least, just as the Suns. Ah well.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

When I am optimistic I like to believe that we are just one Webber away from being a team of that caliber. Or one Demarcus Cousins.

See? In the not so distant future, DeMarcus is fed up with losing, the Kings are fed up with his antics, he wants to make peace his former buddy (and play with another friend in Bledsoe), play for a winning team (for instance, the Suns at that point) and forces his trade here for disposable rebuilding assets.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Xylus wrote:Some takeaways from tonight's game:

1. I can't get over how much better Eric Bledsoe looks this year compared to last. He looks so much more committed and engaged. His passing and shooting were crisp as fuck. He's leveled up.

2. Alex Fucking Len. Plumlee better start working his ass off, or we're going to have a controversy over who plays that starting position very soon. Len's not as quick as Plumlee, but his length and size are going to make opposing offenses work harder than before.

3. Marcus Fucking Morris. Took on Kobe all night and bested him in efficiency. Love it.

4. Gerald Green had a bad game, which means he's going to take a dump on the Spurs this Friday :mrgreen:

5. That Bledsoe ejection got me so fired up. I can't recall Bledsoe getting mad like that ONCE last season, and here he is in the home opener breathing fire.

6. I'm still waiting for Tolliver to show us something

7. Markieff was completely invisible out there, which is fine for this game because we had so many others contributing. But I hope he's a bigger presence in tight games against tougher opponents this season, or we're fucked.

8. Didn't even get to Isaiah Thomas yet. Is it possible for our 6th man to lead us in scoring this season?
So interesting how different perspectives come out of the same game from different vantage points. From sitting in the arena, I felt that Markieff did a good job most of the night. He was fighting on defense, and seem very engaged in the offense. I just looked it up and found out he had the 2nd best +/- on the team (right behind his bro).

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Markieff looked pretty good to me from home too. I thought he was solid. The Morris brothers earned their salary in game one.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Kieff was solid. The only dent was his 3pt shooting. Marcus was great. Tolliver did his thing.

Len was much better than his stats suggest. Nothing spectacular but impactful in a good RoLo-esque way.

Miles is finishing when he gets the ball, mainly from Bledsoe, and even hit a couple of shots, but he could be stronger on the boards and quicker on his feet.

Green missed his hero shots and tried to do what he can't, but he was not needed this game because Marcus delivered.

Arhie is still a lost kid. As quick as he is, I believe the game is still much faster than him.

Ennis is way more dynamic than what his 'archetype' suggests.

Goran still makes his layups but his long distance shooting is looking like it could be erratic this season. If his 3pt % drops, inconsistency at the free throw line will be a huge issue to his game.

IT3 is a true microwave, but with the bonus of playmaking ability. He is also playing with a chip on his shoulder.

Bledsoe is playing with an even bigger chip. His defense yesterday was superb at times, and more than solid overall. If he lasts, watch out.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Kobe had 31 points on 25 shots.
Bledsoe, Dragic, and Thomas had 57 points on 30 shots.

"Be Legendary."

EDC

Post by EDC »

I was looking at our schedule and took a glance over at the Lakers and they better hope they can beat the Hornets next Sunday otherwise they have a good chance of starting 0-10 possibly even 0-15. They have a rough early schedule.
http://espn.go.com/nba/team/schedule/_/ ... les-lakers

http://espn.go.com/nba/team/schedule/_/ ... oenix-suns
The Suns on the other hand only have like 4 tough games in the first month of the season. The Spurs, Grizzlies, Warriors and Clippers are the tough ones. The rest we should be favored to win. The Suns really need to start hot and make sure we take advantage of the lesser teams.

Edit: I'm so use to Toronto being bad I just glanced over them. That game won't be easy.

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

Ring_Wanted wrote:When I am optimistic I like to believe that we are just one Webber away from being a team of that caliber. Or one Demarcus Cousins.

See? In the not so distant future, DeMarcus is fed up with losing, the Kings are fed up with his antics, he wants to make peace his former buddy (and play with another friend in Bledsoe), play for a winning team (for instance, the Suns at that point) and forces his trade here for disposable rebuilding assets.
Cousins, no. Chris Bosh, yes.

Cousins aint coming here and we dont want him. Remember that he already clashed with IT.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

I went to the grocery store this morning and, in the dairy section, saw Carlos Boozer's face on the back of a milk carton.

Last night Boozer had as many turnovers (8) as rebounds (4) and points (4) combined.

I hear the Masons will be sending him an invitation, shortly ...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

OE32

Post by OE32 »

I think the Len/RoLo comparisons will stop at some point. They're both tall and awkward. But so many times last night, at the end of the Lakers' set, the ball handler ended up in the mid-range being guarded by Alex. And those arms would go up, and then the brick. I don't think RoLo is as mobile as Alex.

The strength is a big difference from this year to last, but the biggest difference is the IQ. Alex used to go for the block every time - no longer. His defensive positioning was sooooo much better. As he continues to ball defensively, he'll eventually start getting a chance on offense.

A ton of credit has to go to our coaching staff. Alex is enormously improved.

Btw - anyone see Markieff with his arm around Alex the whole 4th quarter? I LOVE IT!!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

EDC wrote:I was looking at our schedule and took a glance over at the Lakers and they better hope they can beat the Hornets next Sunday otherwise they have a good chance of starting 0-10 possibly even 0-15. They have a rough early schedule.
I did hear from the Lakers' announcers last night that they have the least amount of back to backs of anybody in the league.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

OE32 wrote:I think the Len/RoLo comparisons will stop at some point. They're both tall and awkward. But so many times last night, at the end of the Lakers' set, the ball handler ended up in the mid-range being guarded by Alex. And those arms would go up, and then the brick. I don't think RoLo is as mobile as Alex.

The strength is a big difference from this year to last, but the biggest difference is the IQ. Alex used to go for the block every time - no longer. His defensive positioning was sooooo much better. As he continues to ball defensively, he'll eventually start getting a chance on offense.

A ton of credit has to go to our coaching staff. Alex is enormously improved.

Btw - anyone see Markieff with his arm around Alex the whole 4th quarter? I LOVE IT!!
Len stands up straight. That in and of itself is a big difference. And yeah, he's a lot more mobile.

"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

SDC wrote: gerald green is the modern day version of reggie miller.
Zuh?

EDC

Post by EDC »

Shabazz wrote:
Zuh?

Yeah, that is quite the disservice to Reggie.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Let's be real here guys, Gerald Green is closer to Larry Bird than he is to Reggie Miller.

Indy

Post by Indy »

EDC wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Zuh?

Yeah, that is quite the disservice to Reggie.
and to whomever is the equivalent of half a Reggie Miller

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Reggie Miller is a hall of famer....and Gerald Green had 1 good season.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Reggie Miller was Ray Allen, before Ray Allen. Percentages aside, both are the rare case of a shooter carrying an entire offense. Green should not be in the same sentence.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

He's bench Reggie. He can do for a bench what Reggie could do for a starting lineup.